• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Holiday Event Safety & Security in SoNH

MaverickNH

NES Member
A behind-the-scenes look at standand security & safety for public events:

Our CERT (Community Emergency Response Team) is working with a local PD in SoNH to assist with safety & security on an upcoming holiday public event. About 30k expected over ~1/2mi of a main street and a block either way. Barriers on streets, bomb dog sweeps before/during/after, towing cars, etc. I’m not mentioning the city name (so please don’t) but OpSec is to be very visible at the event (except for the undercover LEOs and sniper teams) so nutjobs might know this is a hard target and stay home. Nutjobs are crazy but most are not stupid.

Security includes 2-dozen+ uniformed LEOs, two SWAT teams, one Bearcat vehicle (for show), several rooftop marksman/observer teams and a half-dozen roving undercover LEOs with bagged SMGs. A few ambulances/EMTs stationed along the way outside the barriers with local ERs upstaffed. FBI/DEA intelligence and social media reviews for threats - no major active hate groups in SoNH. But “nothing like this has ever happened here before” is what most mass casualty events have in common.

CERT has multiple roving pairs with comms relayed to unified command and carry trauma med & boo-boo kits. We got a 3hr TECC refresher and tried out the new SOF-T model with a friction patch to aid grip when tightening before twisting - very nice.

Policy for CERT is no firearms while on duty, but “don’t ask/don’t tell” was mentioned...it’s NH. Only unholstered pistols and brandished knives are alert/action level - open carry is expected. A few folks have been known to get all tactical looking at prior events. Slung long arms will get a friendly greeting and close shadow from LEOs so everyone doesn’t freak and call 911. Maybe more attention from overwatch, but they are alert to distraction attack scenarios.

I’ll be wearing designated bright gear outside with IIIA armor inside - nobody questions bulky jackets in the winter and you sweat less. The likely hazards are stepping in puke (the chunks clog boot lugs) and THC overdose from 2nd-hand exposure.

8B7524EB-F63B-419B-AC83-512C0AA7BE36.jpeg

I know the event you are referring to and have attended many times over the years. Police presence is hardly noticeable - as it should be. This annual event has always run smoothly with no obvious incidents. People are in a good mood and I have never seen or heard of a fight or altercation. The city did block off side streets after that guy rammed his truck into a Christmas festival in Germany (?) a few years ago. Anyway, our family is planning on going again - weather permitting.

I know the event you are referring to and have attended many times over the years. Police presence is hardly noticeable - as it should be. This annual event has always run smoothly with no obvious incidents. People are in a good mood and I have never seen or heard of a fight or altercation. The city did block off side streets after that guy rammed his truck into a Christmas festival in Germany (?) a few years ago. Anyway, our family is planning on going again - weather permitting.
I’ll be wearing a yellow reflective CERT vest and strolling 2-6pm - if you see me, say hello! Forecasts are changing but looks like dry and upper 40s with a breeze - should be a great day!

6D2AAD2D-BD73-4CCC-929C-C7D2E4A4A229.jpeg

I've gone to it once or twice. It's kind of a pain in the ass to get a beer. As usual, I will probably be avoiding it. The real fun when I was a kid in the 70/80s was walking from my uncles house with the family from Cross Street to down town for the old block parties in the summer

So much easier to avoid events that attracts a lot of people.

Celebrate! But under the watchful eye of SWAT snipers lol

SWAT and LEO's overseeing my actions scare me more than any terrorist nowadays, seems they are more of an enemy to my "way of life" than any radical Muslims :) IOW, government servants enacting the will of their overlords on the populace is more of an everyday threat than some rando nutjob Muslim extremist.

Last edited:
So much easier to avoid events that attracts a lot of people.

Celebrate! But under the watchful eye of SWAT snipers lol

SWAT and LEO's overseeing my actions scare me more than any terrorist nowadays, seems they are more of an enemy to my "way of life" than any radical Muslims :) IOW, government servants enacting the will of their overlords on the populace is more of an everyday threat than some rando nutjob Muslim extremist.
hell, there are lot of statists here in this forum alone, never mind out in the real world!

One of the things I like about this event is that you get to wander inside all the churches along Main st and see the way they are set up. Different denominations too. They have musical groups performing inside such as klezmer bands, bell ringers, choral groups, dance teams, etc. Bluegrass and folk bands tend to be in the bank lobbies while rock bands and drum groups are on the street where they can crank up the volume. Big Band music was in a church for a couple of years. Food vendors too, though the one we were hoping for is not listed. Non-profits set up tables and some may give away stuff. Oh, and the many ice sculptures in front of City Hall are nice. The workers carve them while we watch.

Finished my 130-600pm shift uneventfully - the event runs until 10pm. The only interesting points were police drones scouring the rooftops and one odd fellow roaming the streets.

He was a young guy in his 20s wearing just a T-shirt and green plaid kilt, with temps about 50F and dropping into low 40Fs. He wore a horizontal holster across his belly with an inline black powder pistol holstered. The thing was huge, as they are indeed. Not technically a “firearm” subject to regulation. Go about your business, citizen…

Oh, and when they blocked side-streets with big DPW snow plows, a few people tried to go around them on railroad tracks, got stuck and pulled tires off rims trying to drive out. Their cars got a quick search, bomb dog sniff and were left in place until tomorrow. The idiots will be paying big cash to get them back…

Back
Top Bottom