Holey rounds...go faster?

compbullets-0.jpg

http://www.gizmag.com/compbullets-faster-with-vents/20806/

Because we all need precision machined SWC's with less muzzle flash. [laugh]

OK, lighter = faster assuming equal charge, but how can propellant gases bypassing the projectile be good? Sans the holes, the hollow cavity would hold plenty of bacon grease for certain theaters of operation. I'd like to see a solid review with chrono data and targets before I laugh too much, but my money is on this NOT being the proverbial magic boolit.

I wonder if they have the capability to go trough a ballistic vest with the all copper alloy composition and higher velocity?

According to the company, these vents reduce friction by allowing gas to lubricate the bullet as it passes through the barrel and then act as a muzzle brake as the bullet exits the barrel.

read it carefully, the holes are intended to vent gas from the projectile's base to the bearing surface, which should create a pressure sufficient to form a gas cushion. This would reduce the mechanical friction as the projectile contacts the barrel's rifling. Producing a "rocket effect" might make your muzzle velocity higher, but it will probably decrease the accuracy of the bullet due to the decrease in rotational velocity and gyroscopic stability. The additional edges of the ports add drag that could cause disturbances in the supersonic (laminar) flow, resulting in faster rotational deceleration and a more turbulent flow. This is exactly the problem that the boat tail design was intended to address.

supersonic01op.png

A rocket like an RPG contains a motor which might be able to overcome these limitations, but bullets like this one do not. This company might have found the exact point in the design at which the benefits outweigh the negatives. The question I have is, what is the purpose? Higher muzzle velocity and less recoil at the cost of stability and accuracy?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom