• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Holding Their Own V: The Alpha Chronicles(No Spoilers)

I just finished reading this, and I have to say, I thought it was excellent. The story continues to develop, all the main characters remain, and there is a fair amount of action. The book reads really fast; I got this on Monday and finished it yesterday, mostly reading on the train.

The main focus of the story is that as Alpha and Meraton rebuild and 'thrive', they see more and more refugees from surrounding areas. The people running other towns react in different ways to both the egress of their citizens and to the rumors of food, electricity, and prosperity in Alpha and Meraton. The story is about rebuilding, the threats associated with that, and human nature. There are some interesting discussions about the role of government, freedom and responsibility, and greed. I like that Joe Nobody covers these issues without beating you over the head with it. He also deals with the friction associated with how some people expect everything to return to the way it was, and how the leaders have to balance putting food on the table with some fairly ridiculous demands from citizens.

The intro to the book talks about the Old West, the range wars, and so on, and in certain ways, this book reads like that. I'm sure it isn't an accident: I have long believed that everything is about economics. It's clear at the end of this book that this is true.

Since Bishop is out of action, we see a lot more of Nick, Deke, and his 'operators' working, and these parts are a pleasure to read. Terri takes on a much bigger role; her character development is impressive. Let's just say she's changed for her experience.

At the end, the story starts to develop in a direction that leads to the next book, which is supposed to be the last. Based on what is in here; It should be epic.

My complaints: 1. The price seems very high compared with other books, especially given that he is churning out 2-4 books a year at this point and they read very quickly. 2. It seems unlikely that so many core characters would remain alive through all this action, but I am okay with it, since many of them are real to me.

I really enjoyed this book; if you liked the others, you will too.

I skipped over most of your post, because I am reading this right now and don't want to spoil anything.

I agree, it is another well written piece by Mr. Nobody. I think he is one of the best in this genre.

I have been waiting for more from him. Ordering now!

Yeah, they do a pretty lousy job letting you know when new ones come out. I damned near get spammed when Rawles farts something, but after buying every book Joe Nobody has published(except that Drift one), they still don't tell me when a new one comes out.

Yeah, they do a pretty lousy job letting you know when new ones come out. I damned near get spammed when Rawles farts something, but after buying every book Joe Nobody has published(except that Drift one), they still don't tell me when a new one comes out.

I really like Rawles, but haven't read the new one based off the terrible reviews. I have purchased every "Holding Own" 1-3 Joe N book off Amazon, so u would figure I would be notified.

When u say all other books, do u mean his non fiction stuff? Holding ground. Teo tux, etc...? I wasnt sure if his NF was worth it.

Last edited:

They usually pop up on the bottom of my Kindle screen as recommendations. That's how I found the last couple.

Apocalypse Drift was good. I know that these things are pricey for Kindle offerings (~$10 each), but the way I look at it, that's the price of a movie these days.

I really like Rawles, but...

When u say all other books, do u mean his non fiction stuff? Holding ground. Teo tux, etc...? I wasnt sure if his NF was worth it.

I think Rawles is overrated because of survivalblog. I get the impression that it is considered wrong to criticize his mediocre writing because it's all just a wrapper for the prepper material.

JN's non-fiction stuff is pretty good. If you don't know anything at all about tactics, lines of fire, tactical movement, etc, you will probably learn a lot. If you have done a lot of this stuff in the military, or read a lot about it, then you will see a lot of things that you likely know already.

If you have thought about your bugout location, have put a ton of stuff in it, or plan to bug-in, but you haven't evaluated your defensive perimeter, best lines of attack, where your defensive placements are, etc, then you probably want to read some of the non-fiction stuff.

I have enjoyed all of Joe Nobodys stuff. Both the Fic and Nonfic. I really like his approach to defense of a home etc. I think he is one of the more realistic outlooks on both people capabilities and the fact that some sort of govt will form especially at the local level.

Back
Top Bottom