• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

holding off cleaning gun for a day?

If it went BANG, I clean it. 5 or 500 rounds, doesn't matter. And when I'm done cleaning, I inspect it. If I don't like the job I did, I punch myself in the breadbasket, call myself a lazy peace of shit, unworthy to breathe, and hit the deck, giving myself clean 50 while singing my company's tune.

just kidding. Couldn't do 50 anymore to save my fat sorry french ass.

OP:

What is this "cleaning" you speak of? [laugh]

If it's a gas-operated gun you will eventually have to take "better care" of it, as it does get dirty. My Winchester shotgun, every few hundred rounds, needs a thorough cleaning of all the guts and fiddly-bits. My A5....not so much. A break open, even less.

Don't stress it. If it's a "nice" gun, with pretty bluing, then you have to worry more about fingerprints etching the finish than a dirty bore.

I own glocks and ak's Im sure what this "cleaning?" thing is.

but in all seriousness you are completely fine unless you shoot any old milsurp guns with surplus ammo.

I don't really get too obsessive about cleaning guns. I get to it when I can after the range... unless it was raining. Then I'll spray it with WD40 and wipe it down at range, just to get rid of as much moisture as I can before I break them down at home.

I shoot trap twice a week. Clean the scattergun once a month. Dont sweat it

I piss down the barrel, all the Jack I drink keeps it nice and shiny!
Do you stick your weenie into the muzzle? Or is your aim that good?
If the former is the case, I'd consider acquiring Bruce Jenner's dick to replace yours. It's not like he has anymore use for it.
If the latter is the case... Respect!

I know I don't have to, but it just drives me crazy to put a dirty gun back in the safe.

It has also become somewhat of a ritual with my son. It is part of the range trip to shoot the breeze while we clean the guns. We don't go crazy, but make sure all of the bores are clean and get the crud off the stainless guns.

Ive taken some of my ARs through three range sessions spanning a few weeks, usually putting a few hundred rounds through each time, never doing any maintenence besides a quick whip down and oiled it up. Never a hiccup.

I always clean after shooting simply because I am a weenie about lead dust and don't want residue transferring into my cases, safe, or home. I like to leave all the carbon and lead at the range.

There's also a certain satisfaction to having a clean gun. It's like cleaning a boat or engine. Something is just "right" about a neatly detailed and oiled bit of machinery.

I always clean after shooting simply because I am a weenie about lead dust and don't want residue transferring into my cases, safe, or home. I like to leave all the carbon and lead at the range.

There's also a certain satisfaction to having a clean gun. It's like cleaning a boat or engine. Something is just "right" about a neatly detailed and oiled bit of machinery.

This. It is kinda like a freshly shaved... ah nevermind. I would get in trouble for that.

I have never cleaned my Hi-Point 995, and only shoot it with steel cased Wolf ammo, which is the dirtiest sh!t I have ever seen. If there's no problem there, I'm sure better guns can handle being left for a few days.[laugh]

just bought a new shotgun but realized all my cleaning tools wont handle a 12 gauge brush. Store is closed today and for the holiday. Is it ok to go without cleaning for a couple of days?
I have a ethic where i clean after I am done shooting but i will have to hold off for now.
Is it a real issue if i let them sit for a day or two or should i do something asap?

You are screwed, dude. Might as well just toss it out. It's worthless now. Any gun that sits for more than a day without being cleaned rusts over, falls apart, and nearly immediately becomes inoperable and unsafe to shoot. Don't know what to tell you. You should have really thought about this before hand. In every war since the advent of firearms there has always been an agreed upon hour put aside each day for cleaning firearms between both sides.

Over at Falfiles, there was one fella who ran, I believe, 10,000 rounds through his FAL without a hiccup and without a cleaning during that whole time. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

Rome

In the past I found that I cleaned my handguns more often for some reasons as my daughters began to date. The kitchen table always worked best, too.

Rome

With my sister, I've found that cleaning the 12 gauge sitting on the living room floor as they're walking in, standing to shake his hand(apparently I have to at least pretend to be nice), then taking out my EDC, and saying "whoops, forgot one" and going back to cleaning guns works

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I always clean them after the range because I'm the type who likes to cuddle with my bitches after.

Back
Top Bottom