HK VP9-B

This is the version with the push button magazine release. It apparently is not on the Massachusetts approved list yet. Has anyone seen one in Massachusetts?

I am interested in a VP9 but not fond of the release.

Basically agree with the above for the most part too. Though I will add it before someone else does and they tell you to find a better FFL that'll help you. Especially with something simple like a button difference.
That being said try actuating the paddle with your trigger finger or middle finger on your dominant hand. The button is great for using your thumb, it feels like the paddle was more meant to be off your dominant hand.

The paddle is like ez mode with trigger finger and thumb, I make sort of an OK sign and pinch down, gun doesn't twist since the paddle is being pulled down on both sides. It's intuitive and you will never think about it after your 10th mag drop. I mostly shoot buttons but don't think twice about either one, just shoot what I'm shooting and the hand does its thing.

I'd go with either tbh, and yeah find a MA dealer (check the mill in Littleton) for dealers that will help if you aren't finding what you want at your local gun shop.

Love the ambi paddle release. Put a few hundred rounds down range to get the feel for it and you will come to appreciate it.

OP- suppose thumb is lost during combat. how will change magazine? paddle is ambidextrous and compatible with any body part. finger, toe, nose, buttock. to be an operator you need the paddle. button is for noobs and old timers. hopefully this helped answer your question.

OP- suppose thumb is lost during combat. how will change magazine? paddle is ambidextrous and compatible with any body part. finger, toe, nose, buttock. to be an operator you need the paddle. button is for noobs and old timers. hopefully this helped answer your question.
Obvious joke, but I had somebody ask me how would you release the magazine on a button release if your thumb got hurt and didn't like when I answered with my support hand. Ignoring the fact you might not even be able to hold onto the gun without your thumb to do a reload (unless you wanna hold the gun to your chest). That must be operator behavior in a dimension above my reasoning. ;)

It's pretty easy to use your support hand to release the magazine as well. It does require a slightly different motion and might add a fraction of a second to your time, but I'm not an operator and I'm too fat to tactically operate anymore even if I wanted to.

Granted that's some incentive to lose a little weight, but meh. Lazy.

Some US instructors aren't too keen on the use of the paddle because it may require the user to put a finger on the edge of the trigger guard, sometimes millimeters from the trigger. That said, I like the PPQ and VP9 paddles.

When I first bought my VP9 I wasn't so sure on the paddle mag release. At this point it's just second nature, and I can comfortably go between a firearm with the push-button and a paddle release. It becomes very intuitive quickly.

I felt ambivalent about the paddle release when I was looking at a 45C too, but I bought it anyway based on other feedback. After coming home with it, I spent about 30 minutes just releasing mags and finding what was comfortable for me and the size of my hand. Now it's second nature.

I also wouldn't mind if a few more of my pistols had that feature.

I love paddle releases. I have two PPQ M1 and a VP9. I find it faster and easier then a button. I can keep my thumb high and in position where I want to adjust my grip when bringing my thumb down to hit a button.

I did have an opportunity to briefly shoot a VP9 while on vacation last month, but only a couple mags.
I'll check and see if I can find one, maybe a rental, at a local range and try it again.
Thanks to everyone for so many great replies and suggestions.
Ernie

Obvious joke, but I had somebody ask me how would you release the magazine on a button release if your thumb got hurt and didn't like when I answered with my support hand. Ignoring the fact you might not even be able to hold onto the gun without your thumb to do a reload (unless you wanna hold the gun to your chest). That must be operator behavior in a dimension above my reasoning. ;)

No way I could go on after a thumb injury,I would just give up.

Someone shoots off both my thumbs I can still pull down my pants.

That's a .45 right? Why would you need to change mags?

IDPA - I’m learning more about it after an intro class I took recently. I shot it with my Glock G19 and wouldn’t mind having the option of shooting a .45ACP.

Apart from that, range time and potentially winter carry. The only other .45 I own and shoot regularly is my 1911, which I love, but variety is a spice of life.

Last edited:
Love the paddle myself. Takes a bit off getting use to. I use my ring finger, On opposite side.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom