HK USP 9MM

Looking for some insight on the HK USP 9MM. I'm interested in one for range and home. Extra mags availability? Good trigger? etc.
Value? Used price range?
It is a DA/SA I was looking at.

Thanks

It's a fantastic gun. It's my "nightstand" gun at my SC house. Here in Mass I mostly stick to 1911s or other lower capacity firearms but down there it's a pleasure to take the HK out and shoot it with real mags in it. With a light, and +5 mag extensions it's a real work horse and very accurate. I don't know about pre-ban mags or anything like that, though. Shoots really well, very accurate, low felt recoil, and a natural pointer for me. Absolutely nothing bad to say about it except the rail. I have an adapter on mine.

I've only shot a rental one, but the trigger was decent. HK has some great trigger upgrades you can do though, especially the match trigger. I'm not sure on 9mm USP mags, but 45c mags can be found if you look, but not common in every store the way you find glock mags. They are pricey though.

Pre covid you could find them from 600-700, probably a bit more now.

Its my edc.
Its good all around.
I did just recently put the match trigger in it.
Haven't shot it too much with that though.
Scored a wicked deal on mine by trading my vp9

I wanted to get one because they are nice to shoot, for some reason they are kind of expensive.. I remember last year maybe when I was looking they were around $800.. I wanted to pay $600.

Mags are like any other HK mags, expensive.

I picked one up for 500... always wanted one... choked so bad I needed a hammer to get the stuck case out. I was shooting steel but still. I sold it after that..sucks too I was all excited for it

If you do get the very rare case HK that has stuck cases or other issue, HK will repair it free for life. Could not be better customer service. They will still work on HK94s from the 80s.
I got it out... but idk maybe its me but the usp was always in my head the hammer fired glock or pistol ak. Unkillable indestructible eats everything etc etc. Once mine choked on steel ammo I was like well I only shoot guns that cycle everything. This has a lower capacity than my czs or my glocks
Is massive for a poly handgun... has a euro mag release. None of which are bad things mind you it just broke my fantasy of the gun so I punted.

Looking for some insight on the HK USP 9MM. I'm interested in one for range and home. Extra mags availability? Good trigger? etc.
Value? Used price range?

Thanks

I ran the .40 version for something like 15 years. Loved that gun. I may pick up one in 9 in a year, just because. Should be double only with ~8 lb trigger standard, but that might have been the agency build. The trigger reset is something like a 1/4 inch. It's possible to unload a mag incredibly fast if you learn the reset.

The only real negative is it seems like it's a little complicated mechanically. Like I said, I'd buy one.

I picked one up for 500... always wanted one... choked so bad I needed a hammer to get the stuck case out. I was shooting steel but still. I sold it after that..sucks too I was all excited for it

Had to be the ammo. I've fired thousands of rounds, high 10's of thousands if you consider those around me as well. I've never seen a stuck empty brass, guessing in the chamber? Always Winchester or Federal LE rounds. I guess it could happen, I've seen springs break, the hammer motivator piece in the grip break, just not what you are talking about.

Value? Used price range?

Thanks

The DA triggers are stacky, stagey dog meat but can be improved with about an hour worth of work (detail strip, light polishing of bar contact surfaces) and a Wolff 12 Lb hammer spring.

Mags are expensive but well made.

Problem is these guns haven't tanked in value the way one would think, good for sellers but not so much for buyers. A used one will set you back at
least $700, and these days thats probably on the low side because a new one is like 900 bucks.

The problem with the USP 9 right now is you can get a Beretta 92X for $100+ less brand new and end up with a gun that is way better out of the box, no fussing
required. And Beretta magazines are practically free, and preban magazines grow on trees for them.

And I say that as someone who generally hates the Beretta 92 but the 92X is a wholly different animal.

ETA: Also Beretta is far less of a SCHOOL BUS up top.... [laugh]

Last edited:
I ran the .40 version for something like 15 years. Loved that gun. I may pick up one in 9 in a year, just because. Should be double only with ~8 lb trigger standard, but that might have been the agency build. The trigger reset is something like a 1/4 inch. It's possible to unload a mag incredibly fast if you learn the reset.

Yeah yours was probably a LEM trigger gun, there's no way you're getting 8 pounds on a V1/DA/SA type gun. LEMs can go down to 5 even with mods but it ain't worthi
it. Most USPs in the wild don't have LEMs in them, most of those guns were either "special" or converted, etc. (USPs and USP compacts could be ordered with it, too).

I had one. I thought it was clunky and unrefined. You can get prebans though. I sold it. I'd rather have a vp9 or p30 if I was stuck on HK.

If I was forced to pick an HK I'd much rather have a USP, or USP Compact... the VP9, P30s, etc, all point WORSE for me somehow than a USP.

They're all SCHOOL BUSES anyways compared to a Glock or a CZ, so there's that..... [laugh]

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD_72U0b_2g&t=2s

Also special post for @MAGAArms

ETA: I have to admit I have bias too, in my pre-glock days I carried USP Compact .45 and USP .40 Compact quite a bit... and owned most of the rest of the
product line. Now I own ZERO HKs.

ETA2:

schoolbus1.jpgschoolbus2.jpgschoolbus3.jpg

schoolbus4.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah yours was probably a LEM trigger gun, there's no way you're getting 8 pounds on a V1/DA/SA type gun. LEMs can go down to 5 even with mods but it ain't worthi
it. Most USPs in the wild don't have LEMs in them, most of those guns were either "special" or converted, etc. (USPs and USP compacts could be ordered with it, too).

As I was typing it, I kind of remembered the LEM thing. Even so, it wasn't a tough trigger, I'm having issues with the Glock transition. They found some way to screw up a Glock.

As I was typing it, I kind of remembered the LEM thing. Even so, it wasn't a tough trigger, I'm having issues with the Glock transition. They found some way to screw up a Glock.

The LEM was actually pretty smooth, because the spring is preloaded you tend not to get the influence of the trigger bar friction, which in the USP/P2K design is worse when there's more spring pressure pushing against the parts. The LEM basically precocks the mainspring, you pull the trigger and all you feel is the trigger return spring until you hit the release point where it unloads the mainspring. So with only like 5-8 lbs (at break) of pressure against the whole thing, the rough surfaces in the trigger bar track didnt matter so much, etc.

The only problem I have with Glock triggers is the f***ing grit in the trigger, I realize in your case you probably have a duty gun you can't mess with, but I would.... uhm, figure out
how to fire that thing about 9000 times or simulate doing so, somehow, it would probably smoothen itself right out. A dirty hack in your case would be to find a used version of the
same gun that had the shit shot out of it, where the bar and connector were self-polished and then swap the parts, bam, done. Now you have plausible deniability and a much better
trigger. On my guns I just buy an OC customs polished trigger and that gets rid of most of the grit/stacky garbage.

As someone who had both at one time though, yes, it would be "weird" going from a LEM to a Glock. Which is why I sold my P2000 .40 LEM at the time because I really didn't want to relarn how
to shoot it after going to a Glock 19.

The only real negative is it seems like it's a little complicated mechanically. Like I said, I'd buy one.

Had to be the ammo. I've fired thousands of rounds, high 10's of thousands if you consider those around me as well. I've never seen a stuck empty brass, guessing in the chamber? Always Winchester or Federal LE rounds. I guess it could happen, I've seen springs break, the hammer motivator piece in the grip break, just not what you are talking about.
It was wolf steel case which I've seen steel stick in guns obviously. But I didn't think it would on the usp

It was wolf steel case which I've seen steel stick in guns obviously. But I didn't think it would on the usp

I've had no trouble with that and a few other steel types with my USP. Either I got lucky or you got unlucky. Mine's eaten everything. I can't remember a single failure of any kind with mine. In fact, this and my HK 45c are my most reliable pistols.

I've had no trouble with that and a few other steel types with my USP. Either I got lucky or you got unlucky. Mine's eaten everything. I can't remember a single failure of any kind with mine. In fact, this and my HK 45c are my most reliable pistols.

My only complaint with my Hk45c is the suppressor height sights it came with. I can't seem to aim them consistently at all, will probably replace with standard ones

I would assume I'm unlucky due to the stellar reviews

I’ve got a pre-ban and loved it since day 1, full size 9. I’d considered selling now that I’m North of MA but honestly afraid I’d have remorse!

I’ve got a pre-ban and loved it since day 1, full size 9. I’d considered selling now that I’m North of MA but honestly afraid I’d have remorse!
Remorse from selling the gun because you like the gun but aren’t limited by preban mags anymore or because you think the gun itself is preban.

Both preban gun and mags, so I could possibly sell and buy the same or slightly different IF I found one. I might like the tactical for example, but I’m not sure I’d prefer a newer model.

I'd only sell it if you need the cash, one of the cool things about a USP is they do retain value though, so you probably won't get hosed too much if the gun is in great
shape.

Both preban gun and mags, so I could possibly sell and buy the same or slightly different IF I found one. I might like the tactical for example, but I’m not sure I’d prefer a newer model.
What's the advantage of a "pre ban" HK USP 9mm? It's on the approved roster. You can buy it from an FFL new.

People buying HKs are usually big kids and play by big kid rules, nobody is going to overpay for preban mags, etc, but still you will get a fair price for it if you decided to roll it in MA or anywhere else. The new ones are 900+ right now.

Back
Top Bottom