HK P30?

i occasionally carry my P30. it's an excellent pistol. the VP9 has no bearing on the P30. it's a completely different firing mechanism. i would personally never choose a VP9 over a P30, which has a far more established pedigree and proven USP-like firing mechanism. so yeah if you're interested in a P30 just buy one. the prices have come way down on them in the past 3-4 years. the P2000 is essentially the same pistol, slightly smaller although most people prefer the ergos on the P30. there's a model with thumb safety (P30S) which makes zero sense since the gun is already DA/SA. it was an afterthought, and no it's not convertible between variants like the USP. whatever model of P30 one purchases is what it will be. these are some of the finest suppressor hosts ever designed.

I've had both, personally preferred the P30, but that's 100% subjective. The VP9 would be nicer on concealment if you run into snagging a hammer issues.

I've owned two of the SKs. I liked them, but didn't always feel that the size difference was substantial enough versus a full size. Again, totally subjective, just my experience.

Currently have a grey frame P30 in the nightstand. Yep, it has the thumb safety, which is redundant with the decocker...but I picked it up during some sale or something...think I only paid around $400 for it, new?

Given the different feel between the triggers of the VP9 and P30, would definitely recommend some trigger time if you can find anyone to let you shoot a bit, see which fits you better.

Photo, because....photos make threads better?

P30.jpg

Last edited:
I have a friend who owned a P30 and they had issues with the long trigger pull. I could shoot theirs well but the trigger pull was different. They sold the P30. I rather prefer the VP9SK trigger and concealability over the P30. My EDC is the SIG P365 which shoots better than the VP9SK. YMMV. Good luck.

i occasionally carry my P30. it's an excellent pistol. the VP9 has no bearing on the P30. it's a completely different firing mechanism. i would personally never choose a VP9 over a P30, which has a far more established pedigree and proven USP-like firing mechanism. so yeah if you're interested in a P30 just buy one. the prices have come way down on them in the past 3-4 years. the P2000 is essentially the same pistol, slightly smaller although most people prefer the ergos on the P30. there's a model with thumb safety (P30S) which makes zero sense since the gun is already DA/SA. it was an afterthought, and no it's not convertible between variants like the USP. whatever model of P30 one purchases is what it will be. these are some of the finest suppressor hosts ever designed.
Thanks, I like the hammer with no safety, DA/SA.

I own a P30 V3 with Ambi safety. And a P30SK no safety as well as a VP9. Out of the three, the VP9 grips my hand like no other. The two come close though. Such a tight grip on your hand almost takes you back to prom night. People complaining about the trigger need to realize it's a combat designed gun, not a STI range toy. Learn and practice the reset and take up and you'll be fine.

I have a P30L LEM and love it for target shooting, but I don't usually carry it. Too big. A P30 might work for carry but honestly if you care going to carry it I would look for a P30SK.

its not a USP. the LEM kits do not install in the P30. A P30 LEM has to start life as an LEM.

Not true, mine started as a DA/SA with safety and now it's a V4.1CH LEM. You have to buy a bunch of parts but it's doable. Lots of misinformation about this topic online. Any P30 can be converted to any trigger, you can even remove or add decockers and safeties.

There is one limitation where if you started with NO safety then you can't add a safety unless you drill a hole in the frame.

Not true, mine started as a DA/SA with safety and now it's a V4.1CH LEM. You have to buy a bunch of parts but it's doable. Lots of misinformation about this topic online. Any P30 can be converted to any trigger, you can even remove or add decockers and safeties.

There is one limitation where if you started with NO safety then you can't add a safety unless you drill a hole in the frame.

last I spoke w HK around 2018, they did not support or sell parts to convert P2000 or P30 models, only the USP. As you point out, there’s no straightforward swaps for the rear decocker or thumb safeties, whereas on the USP its easy and can be had in a kit. HK never sold kits to swap from LEM -> TDA, only the other direction. To in-do an LEM they charge arm and leg.

with regards to the P30 TDA -> LEM, for the cost of such modifications one would almost always be better off just purchasing a P30 LEM if that’s the desired model.

I have the P30, the trigger isn’t my favorite in the world, but it does have a clean break. Overall one of my favorite guns.

last I spoke w HK around 2018, they did not support or sell parts to convert P2000 or P30 models, only the USP. As you point out, there’s no straightforward swaps for the rear decocker or thumb safeties, whereas on the USP its easy and can be had in a kit. HK never sold kits to swap from LEM -> TDA, only the other direction. To in-do an LEM they charge arm and leg.

with regards to the P30 TDA -> LEM, for the cost of such modifications one would almost always be better off just purchasing a P30 LEM if that’s the desired model.

I am pretty sure the parts to convert a P30 family pistol to LEM have been available on HKParts for a while, seems like it was before 2018. I would agree about purchasing a factory LEM P30 pistol over creating your own but we don't all live in "free" states. Getting exactly the pistol and variation you want in a state like Massachusetts can be tough at times. I lucked into finding a LEM P30L for sale in Mass several years ago and after having it for a while was interested in acquiring a regular P30 or P30SK in LEM but couldn't find any for sale at the time for reasonable money. For a while I had considered buying a DA/SA and converting it though I never ended up doing it.

I am pretty sure the parts to convert a P30 family pistol to LEM have been available on HKParts for a while, seems like it was before 2018. I would agree about purchasing a factory LEM P30 pistol over creating your own but we don't all live in "free" states. Getting exactly the pistol and variation you want in a state like Massachusetts can be tough at times. I lucked into finding a LEM P30L for sale in Mass several years ago and after having it for a while was interested in acquiring a regular P30 or P30SK in LEM but couldn't find any for sale at the time for reasonable money. For a while I had considered buying a DA/SA and converting it though I never ended up doing it.

the LEM kit is factory HK. As I noted earlier, it is not compatible with the P30. see description.

the LEM kit is factory HK. As I noted earlier, it is not compatible with the P30. see description.

It's not "officially" supported by HK USA but you can buy the necessary parts either as a kit from HKparts (unaffiliated with official HK USA) or one by one through a combination of HKParts & HK USA webshop. Not all the V4.1CH parts are available through HK USA but HK Germany has them, and HKparts imports it from them in batches.

Anyway I'm not going to keep going back and forth, I don't need to convince you, I have done it succeessfully. This info is out there for anyone who stumbles upon this thread in the future, look it up ("google" it but don't use Google).

Edit: after all this talk might as well post a link, you will need these parts and may need more depending on your starting configuration: P30, P2000 Combat Defensive Action Upgrade For LEM Pistols - 4.1 - HKPARTS

I'm thinking about buying an HK P30, regular with a 3.8" barrel, not the 30L. Any thoughts? Okay as EDC?

View attachment 568215

I think it'd be fine to EDC, depending on if you want to carry something that size/weight I personally went with the P30SK as a my carry piece and my P30 with a TLR-3 as my nightstand gun.

Either way it's an awesome gun....one of my favorite hanguns. I take it to the range whenever I get a chance. It takes some time to get used the trigger (at least the DA/SA in my case) but once you're used to it, it can be an absolute tack driver.

The GrayGuns short reset system, coupled with their flat faced trigger in a P30 makes it one of my favorite guns to shoot. Those additions make a HUGE difference.

I've been meaning to getting the GrayGuns trigger and kit for my P30. Does the flat trigger improve the overall feel? The curved stock trigger took a long time to get used to, at least compared to other handguns.

I've been meaning to getting the GrayGuns trigger and kit for my P30. Does the flat trigger improve the overall feel? The curved stock trigger took a long time to get used to, at least compared to other handguns.
IMO, yes….. but I’m a huge fan of flat faced triggers on most guns. But to me, it does make a difference. Because of the way it sits…. It helps take away even more travel. And its less gushy feeling than the plastic HK trigger.

Those of you who dropped in an aftermarket trigger, is your P30 now just a range toy? Any concern with in the case you had to use it defensively the prosecution will paint you trigger happy? Like someone who put an assassin trigger on a gun to make it shoot lighter and faster or some stupid shit

IMO, yes….. but I’m a huge fan of flat faced triggers on most guns. But to me, it does make a difference. Because of the way it sits…. It helps take away even more travel. And its less gushy feeling than the plastic HK trigger.

Makes sense to me. I'm thinking I'll pick one up to try. Anything that cuts down the trigger travel is a good thing IMO

Back
Top Bottom