• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

HK guns ???

To me HKs are perfectly nice but there's nothing about them that makes them functionally superior to M&Ps, Glocks, Sigs etc., so they're not worth even half their price.
I have owned half a dozen M&P's and there is absolutely a difference in quality and durability. My M&P's were good guns for a good price. I sold a M&P .45 and a shield .40 to buy my HK and I have zero regrets.
I had to send all but one of my M&P's back more than once to be repaired. I did not trust them anymore. My HK has been perfect and I am supremely confident with it.

Have a fine Navy day.

Last edited:
USP .40 and a VP9 here. Some day I'm sure I'll find myself with a 45 as well. Comparatively, my S&W 45 trigger is like dragging an anvil across a parking lot.

I would classify HKs as very sexy guns. They look great and have that high-end reputation. Then you buy one, shoot it for a while, and try to tell yourself it was worth the premium price. Then reality sinks in and you sell it and buy a Glock. At least that was my experience.

To me HKs are perfectly nice but there's nothing about them that makes them functionally superior to M&Ps, Glocks, Sigs etc., so they're not worth even half their price.

The price is what's making me second guess myself. I just need to know if they're worth the price before I get one. I've gotten a couple things without trying them out and end up giving them away half the price I paid.

The price is what's making me second guess myself. I just need to know if they're worth the price before I get one. I've gotten a couple things without trying them out and end up giving them away half the price I paid.

If you were guying a Glock for $500 I'd say just handle one at the store and buy it if it seems good. If you're about to drop $1200 on an HK, go to Manchester Firing Line and try a few first.

Well, only you can tell whether or not they're worth it, but one upshot is if you dont like it, you can get most of your money back, they keep high resale value, provided you don't overpay up front, although the P30 is about to become an overpriced gun that nobody is going to buy, with the introduction of the VP9... so buying a P30 right now is a fools errand unless you can pick one up on the cheap.

-Mike

...although the P30 is about to become an overpriced gun that nobody is going to buy, with the introduction of the VP9... so buying a P30 right now is a fools errand unless you can pick one up on the cheap.

-Mike

I think you are right. It's a shame because the P30 is a really great gun if you are a hammer fired guy and want a 9mm. I certainly don't regret buying mine. However, it's gotta be really hard now to justify 800+ when they sell a very similar striker fired gun for so much cheaper. The one thing I don't like about the VP9 is the grip panels have a much less grippy stippling than the P30.

If I had to make my way towards the coast after the apocalypse, I'd take my Hk45 as a sidearm. It's completely and utterly reliable.

I'm I'm going to the range to abuse steel plates and/or paper, I'd probably take something else.

is there a big difference between the HK 45 and the USP 45?

The ergonomics of the HK45 are a lot better than the USP 45, particularly if you don't have large hands. This is because HK designed the grip to be slimmer by just enough to make a big difference, by building the gun around a native 10 round magazine. Be aware that both guns point somewhat differently, or at least they did for me. (eg, natural point of aim). My problem with the newer HKs is my NPOA is "low by default" by a few degrees. If I just draw a 1911, Glock, or Sig P series. quickly and bring it to where I -think- it should be before I even pick up the sights, its either a little high or pretty close to right on. With an HK45/P30/etc I kinda have to reprogram myself a little bit to bring the muzzle up higher by ever so slightly pushing the palm of my hand down. Other people might not have this defect, so your mileage may vary. Back when I ran USPs (and at one point, a MK23) I didn't seem to have this issue to the same degree.

Another thing to note is the HK45 has a much slimmer slide profile (makes it a little more comfortable to carry, IMHO) and a different recoil spring system. I found the HK45 to be easier to control under recoil than the USP series guns, mainly due to the fact that the HK45 let me get a better support hand grip on the gun; I could apply more pressure to the HK45. My hands are like girl hands so if you have normal hands you might not find a difference between the two. Generally speaking whenever I handed my USP 45's (I had a standard, Elite, and Tactical versions, all at the same time) to guys that have gorilla hands they could control the gun a lot better than I could.

My suggestion would be to try both before you buy. Hell try a G21 while you're at it. Either rent or find someone on here to go shooting with. Most folks around here are pretty generous and if you bring ammo they'd let you try out their rigs, if you're safe.

-Mike

I would classify HKs as very sexy guns. They look great and have that high-end reputation. Then you buy one, shoot it for a while, and try to tell yourself it was worth the premium price. Then reality sinks in and you sell it and buy a Glock. At least that was my experience.

Usually its the other way. Once you buy your first HK you usually buy more of them.

I'm thinking of moving into the HK world...anyone have a HK 45 that is on the south shore that they would let me try out..I would of course provide ammo

If I'm shooting .45 its gonna be my 1911. But your more than welcome to try my VP9 down at Hanson R &G ..were there all the time.

If the VP9 grip feels lke Ellen Degeneres, then the P30 is Marisa Tomei and the HK45 is Kim Kardashian.

...problem w this logic is then the Mark 23 would feel like Oprah

If the VP9 grip feels lke Ellen Degeneres, then the P30 is Marisa Tomei and the HK45 is Kim Kardashian.

...problem w this logic is then the Mark 23 would feel like Oprah

Squib...I could not agree more. The P30 is the nicest grip and the PPQ is a close second. IMHO

Back
Top Bottom