HK 45 vs. HK 45c

GeorgeMason

NES Member
Finally in the spot where I can get the HK 45 I've been wanting. I've been thinking about the 45 compact as opposed to the full size version. My reasoning is:
1. I already have a full size 45 (Gen 3 G21 with a tactical length LW slide). It's a beast.
2. My EDC is a G19 and the 45c is the same exact size so it leaves it as a carry option later down the road.
3. Im not a huge guy so the compact size guns typically fit my hands a little better.

Is there something I'm missing in regards to the full size? Are there any benefits I'm not thinking of? From my understanding, they're identical mechanically and just different sizes.

eventually I think I will get one of these two and have some of the same thoughts. From what I've read they are pretty much the same except for the grip. if you are thinking about carrying it, go with the 45C if you are going to use it for targets and home defense I think the regular 45 would be better. The 45 does have interchangeable grips and is a lot like the VP series grips, which i like on my VP9. and if you are interested you can get a LEM conversion kit that works in both.

If you already have a Glock why not just get a G30 or G30S?

-Mike

I have a bunch of glocks. Not really looking for another striker fired gun right now. I love the HK build quality and feel. I've been wanting to add one to my collection for a while now.

- - - Updated - - -

eventually I think I will get one of these two and have some of the same thoughts. From what I've read they are pretty much the same except for the grip. if you are thinking about carrying it, go with the 45C if you are going to use it for targets and home defense I think the regular 45 would be better. The 45 does have interchangeable grips and is a lot like the VP series grips, which i like on my VP9. and if you are interested you can get a LEM conversion kit that works in both.

Good call on the grips, didn't even think about that.

I have a bunch of glocks. Not really looking for another striker fired gun right now. I love the HK build quality and feel. I've been wanting to add one to my collection for a while

Been here done this, dumped the HK's... just trying to save you a lot of money. There's absolutely nothing a hk45c will do that a 30 won't do better. Less muzzle flip to boot. I get migrating to an HK if a glock platform didn't work for you (or it doesn't fit your hand) but doing it for the hell of it? meh. I've owned most of the USP product line, an HK45 a mk23 socom, and a P7M8, and while they were all decent handguns most of them, in a practical sense didn't do anything my Glocks couldn't easily do. Not to mention you're screwing with skillsets to get another trigger system in the mix.... ugh.

-Mike

Ownded both HK45 and Hk45c. Sold the compact. Kept he full size. I doubt you would want to carry the HK45c over a G19. I find the HK45 full size grip is quite nice. The 45C also nice gun but I simply prefer the full size gun. That being said you will enjoy either one.

The HK45 fits my hand much better than the HK45c does. The 45c's grip just doesn't feel right. I prefer the USP/USPc 45 grips to the HK45c's. Of the 4 guns the 45c is my least favorite.

I had both the HK45 tactical, and the HK45C tactical. Preferred the full size. More natural pointing for me. If you aren't going to carry it go for the HK45

I owned the HK45c but it never felt right as a range toy. I would never carry it over my g19 as it's way too big, so I sold it and got a full size HK45. I shoot it a bit better and it looks and feels right.

The HK45 is a blast to shot. Sold mine for the G21 though. I don't like the grip on the HKc. More like the P2000 series than their newer pistols.

Been here done this, dumped the HK's... just trying to save you a lot of money. There's absolutely nothing a hk45c will do that a 30 won't do better. Less muzzle flip to boot. I get migrating to an HK if a glock platform didn't work for you (or it doesn't fit your hand) but doing it for the hell of it? meh. I've owned most of the USP product line, an HK45 a mk23 socom, and a P7M8, and while they were all decent handguns most of them, in a practical sense didn't do anything my Glocks couldn't easily do. Not to mention you're screwing with skillsets to get another trigger system in the mix.... ugh.

-Mike

Thanks for being so concerned for my wallet, but like I stated earlier, I'm not looking for another striker fired gun. I have a pant load of glocks. I'm not migrating to another platform, this is a piece that I've wanted to add for quite some time. I'm going to purchase one, not looking for advice outside that thanks.

Ownded both HK45 and Hk45c. Sold the compact. Kept he full size. I doubt you would want to carry the HK45c over a G19. I find the HK45 full size grip is quite nice. The 45C also nice gun but I simply prefer the full size gun. That being said you will enjoy either one.

I don't plan on carrying it over the G19, but I don't hate having the option.

Thanks for being so concerned for my wallet, but like I stated earlier, I'm not looking for another striker fired gun. I have a pant load of glocks. I'm not migrating to another platform, this is a piece that I've wanted to add for quite some time. I'm going to purchase one, not looking for advice outside that thanks.

If this is a spree purchase/impulse buy and not a serious one you're better off buying the full size version of the gun.

Just offering the advice because I've been down this road before (I had 26 handguns at one point from like 5 different manufacturers). Was it fun? Sure.... a little. but there's no getting around the fact that it was also kinda stupid and I could have used those resources for other shooting endeavors.

-Mike

Last edited:
Ditto. I prefer the USP over both.

USP was developed base on 1911. It's HK's classic and it's over bulit in terms of quality for such a pistol. I have shot all the HK mentioned in this post. I love the grip on usp better than all the newer HK ergo grips (spider web??/). IMHO, If you have a small hand, and want to carry HK, USPc 45 or 9mm is the way to go.

Mike is right. There is nothing HK can do that Glocks can't. HK is over built, at least for usp series. Do you want to pay extra for something you don't necessarily need?
OP, HK45 is fulllsize, it's not recommend for CCW. HK45C is actually about the same size as Glock19 (HK VP9 is larger than glock 19). HK USPc is about the same size as Glock 19. If you determined to get a HK hammer operated pistol, you need to hold the 45c and uspc 45/9mm in your hand to decide which one feels better. They all shoot the same, accurate, smooth. But the axis on HK frame is different than Glock 19, you will have to hold HK differently to line up the sights.
HK pistols have different setup, V1--V9. The trigger also has LEM, Match, facotry trigger. Some features are only availabe on specific models. If you use LEM trigger, which i recommend as well, you will need some practice to get use to it.

Last edited:

Same for me, I have both, splurged when HK had the $200 rebates. I plan to sell the 45c to my brother, I find the grip too smooth for a fairly nose heavy gun. I tried a Wolf grip but didn't like that either. It may look G19 size but it feels much bigger, I think it's thicker and heavier. I love the HK45 though, and you get two more rounds.

But it if you like the grip the 45c is sweet.

Same for me, I have both, splurged when HK had the $200 rebates. I plan to sell the 45c to my brother, I find the grip too smooth for a fairly nose heavy gun. I tried a Wolf grip but didn't like that either. It may look G19 size but it feels much bigger, I think it's thicker and heavier. I love the HK45 though, and you get two more rounds.

But it if you like the grip the 45c is sweet.

You can easily get 10 round mags for the 45C (I have two)... They also have a 20 round mag converted that works for either model. Just not easy to get that presently (keeping my eye out for when it's actually available so I can grab at least one). Of course, that only works if you're NOT in an oppressive state... [smile]

OP-

FWIW the HK P2000 9mm (full size, no P2000sk) is possibly my favorite hammer gun ever. if you're considering stickign with 9mm, check it out. obviously if you want to go 45acp then the P2000 isn't an option. the P2000 is basically a USP compact that has been modernized and upgraded. to me it's damn perfect.

i agree with those who stated if you're looking for a compact 45, consider the USPc 45. alternatively, put the full size HK45 in your hand alongside the 45 compact. also compare the sizes...the compact ain't all that much smaller. in a shoulder holster i think the full size HK45 could be carried just about as easily. the weight difference is only ~2 oz. not much.

Last edited:
The new batch of 45c's (four seasons had a couple) that are made in Germany have a new stippling pattern on the grip which solves the grip issue. I sold my US made 45c's and bought two German ones because of the grip alone.

I also have the full size and much prefer the compact for all purposes.

Last edited:
The new batch of 45c's (four seasons had a couple) that are made in Germany have a new stippling pattern on the grip which solves the grip issue. I sold my US made 45c's and bought two German ones because of the grip alone.

This is huge. I have to get my hands on one.

This is huge. I have to get my hands on one.

Looks to me like you could just get a stippling job, it's only the front and back strap that changed.

82026d1483385657-german-made-hk-45c-nice-improvement-screen-shot-2017-01-02-2.26.27-pm.png

Made in Germany is just the slide part.

no - the whole gun is now made in Germany. the previous guns were US-made frame, German-made slide and barrel.
Is the picture in post #23 the new stippling pattern you were referring to? Most of the 45c's I've checked out recently have looked identical to that picture (cabelas and MFS)

I have the 45C made in the USA lower. Only difference I see is the stippling on front and rear of the grip is a little more aggressive on the German version.

If you have any intention of carrying it get the 45C. Other wise there's no point of the compact. I go between my HK45C and G19 for cc. Can't explain why but some days I'm in the mood for one over the other. I like them both. Like others have said they are the same approximate weight and size. Yes the triggers are different but I've personally never had an issues going from one to an other. obviously capacity is the other major difference. your decision 9 vs 45 blah blah blah....

It doesn't sound like money is your real issue. I'd buy it if I were you. If you really don't like the trigger upgrade to the lem. If you still don't like it sell it. You will recoup a majority of your money.

Last edited:
I just picked up an HK 45C and I love it!!! It's perfect for carrying and a blast to shoot. I held the HK45 and it was too big for me to comfortably carry.

Back
Top Bottom