• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hiring armed security at church

How many LTC holders can actually pass a state LEO handgun qualification?

Ummm.

article-0-196DFCA8000005DC-412_634x843.jpg

108 rounds hit the boat. Something like 400 hit the neighboring houses, I think. Two of them hit the suspect.

Yes! Is there any MA rule or regulation preventing one of our armed forces vet parishioners from putting on a security vest and his sidearm, and patrolling the premises, grounds, courtyard, parking lot? FWIW most of these companies like Securitas say armed or unarmed guards are just a deterrent, and there to call 911 or respond to a fire alarm, document, and be there as a liability limiter. As stated previously we just need somebody five or six hours a week which is why it's arguably not worth hiring an agency.
Yes there are rules for armed Security and mass does not make it easy. If you decide to slap on a vest and some perp gets shot , the church’s assets will be sued to the end of time.

Ummm.

article-0-196DFCA8000005DC-412_634x843.jpg

108 rounds hit the boat. Something like 400 hit the neighboring houses, I think. Two of them hit the suspect.
It’s easy to pass and so is the requal test when a LEO is retired. A test is not a substitute for firing under threatening situation when you’re being shot at or other adrenal pumping situations

If your church recruits members for armed security, it has a moral obligation to contractually guarantee funding any criminal defense or civil defense/judgement, without limit of any kind including appeals, in the event the member is called upon to use a firearm to defend him/her/it's self or others while providing security services. In my opinion, any member who would provide such services without such a formal guarantee needs training in the realities of armed defense of self or others.

Last edited:
Yes there are rules for armed Security and mass does not make it easy. If you decide to slap on a vest and some perp gets shot , the church’s assets will be sued to the end of time.
Actually, MA lacks some rules common in other states. For example, I am not aware of any "armed security license"; there is no such designation on the LTC (for example, CT has a different class of carry permit for armed security). I believe there are regulations for "security companies".

If your church recruits members for armed security, it has a moral obligation to contractually guarantee funding any criminal defense or civil defense/judgement, without limit of any kind, in the event the member is called upon to use a firearm to defense him/her/it's self or others while providing security services. In my opinion, any member who would provide such services without such a formal guarantee needs training in the realities of armed defense of self or others.
I was a BOD member of an organization that didn't have any insurance. They wanted to remove the president. . . he showed up with a lawyer who explained that since we had no bylaw allowing removal of an officer, there would be a lawsuit and BOD members would be personally liable. I hastily wrote my resignation from the BOD and left the room before they voted.

My church sent a number of ushers, teachers, greeters and security personnel to a situational awareness class specific to houses of worship to be better informed about potential threats. We use volunteers for security details and some of us are LTC. Exterior doors are locked once services or classes begin and interior doors can be locked out. Radios are in each classroom in the event a lockdown is necessary and we have designated gathering areas for fire or emergency. We also have a good relationship with the local police officers and chief.

Actually, MA lacks some rules common in other states. For example, I am not aware of any "armed security license"; there is no such designation on the LTC (for example, CT has a different class of carry permit for armed security). I believe there are regulations for "security companies".
When it comes to license and insurance is where it gets expensive

There are lots of churches that have security details made up from parishioners. Do a Google search for church security. I think you’ll need to come up with a plan, you’ll need more than one person, and you’ll need to get some training.
We have an usher who sits outside in the lobby during the service he is armed with something I forgot what. Then the guy in the videa room he is armed with some sig handgun product (ex NC highway patrol).

Then I am armed usually with my grandfathers S&W ex police 6946 9 mm..

Our goal is just to be a get off me type situation not stop a standing army.

Our church is the average southern baptist type conservative type church. We aren’t super right or protest anything and in the middle of no where.

Back
Top Bottom