Hiring armed security at church

Hi all. At the last board meeting, due to all the craziness in the world right now and surge of nutjobs attacking places of worship we decided to consider getting uniformed armed security guard on the premises. Rather than go to one of the big box companies like Allied Universal or similar renta cops we are thinking about using a volunteer member from the congregation. Seeing as how the times where we'd need the security services are small, in short bursts and constantly. Think things like children classes on rotating weekday evenings from six to eight.

Having someone who's a familiar face may be easier and better plus they actually care, unlike a minimum wage rent a cop. I understand that these rent a cop services deal with insurance, training and liability on their end but what would we as a congregation have to consider if we wanted to use one of our own guys? What classes, liability, or other laws should be considered or is it too much of a headache?

There are lots of churches that have security details made up from parishioners. Do a Google search for church security. I think you’ll need to come up with a plan, you’ll need more than one person, and you’ll need to get some training.

There are lots of churches that have security details made up from parishioners. Do a Google search for church security. I think you’ll need to come up with a plan, you’ll need more than one person, and you’ll need to get some training.

The board is concerned about liability and laws (Massachusetts, scary guns!) and the like.

Hate to put it this way, but I think they're right to be concerned about that. In any state.
Yes! Is there any MA rule or regulation preventing one of our armed forces vet parishioners from putting on a security vest and his sidearm, and patrolling the premises, grounds, courtyard, parking lot? FWIW most of these companies like Securitas say armed or unarmed guards are just a deterrent, and there to call 911 or respond to a fire alarm, document, and be there as a liability limiter. As stated previously we just need somebody five or six hours a week which is why it's arguably not worth hiring an agency.

Yes! Is there any MA rule or regulation preventing one of our armed forces vet parishioners from putting on a security vest and his sidearm, and patrolling the premises, grounds, courtyard, parking lot?

Of course not. Doesn't even have to be a vet.

Your problem is not having an armed man permissably roaming the property. Your problem is what happens to the church's assets once said armed man has to actually shoot some evildoer.

It seems like a question of "what problem are you trying to solve?"

Do you want the ability to respond with violence rapidly and effectively if needed?
Do you want the appearance of security to scare away evildoers?
Something else?

If you just want to be able to stop a potential bad guy, why don't you simply communicate (by appropriate means) that concealed carry is not unwelcome? Then, the folks in your community who feel qualified can (continue to) choose to come armed.

If you have enough people who want to take this protector role, they can agree among themselves to have someone at each event throughout the week.

Hi all. At the last board meeting, due to all the craziness in the world right now and surge of nutjobs attacking places of worship we decided to consider getting uniformed armed security guard on the premises. Rather than go to one of the big box companies like Allied Universal or similar renta cops we are thinking about using a volunteer member from the congregation. Seeing as how the times where we'd need the security services are small, in short bursts and constantly. Think things like children classes on rotating weekday evenings from six to eight.

Having someone who's a familiar face may be easier and better plus they actually care, unlike a minimum wage rent a cop. I understand that these rent a cop services deal with insurance, training and liability on their end but what would we as a congregation have to consider if we wanted to use one of our own guys? What classes, liability, or other laws should be considered or is it too much of a headache?
Shameless plug: My father in law has a security company in MA. PM if interested.

It’s hard to think of a scenario where the church isn’t liable if something goes wrong. I mean like a bystander gets capped or such.

Just carry when you are there. Have an usher or 2 in street clothes by the door watching for threats. Be wary of anyone carrying bags, wearing clothes not suitable for the season, etc.

If it’s a big church, they likely have liability insurance and money in the bank. If it’s a small church, you likely know everyone coming in the door. Greet any unfamiliar faces with a handshake and introduction and feel them out while being friendly. A shooter is going to sit in the back. Definitely not the middle and probably not the front.

Hate to put it this way, but I think they're right to be concerned about that. In any state.
It's exponentially worse here. Shooting a psycho in a red state church is at best a 10k problem..... 🤣 mostly to clean up the mess after.
in MA someone better be carrying some serious insurance for the volunteer guards/staff/church.

It's exponentially worse here. Shooting a psycho in a red state church is at best a 10k problem..... 🤣 mostly to clean up the mess after.
in MA someone better be carrying some serious insurance for the volunteer guards/staff/church.

Might be a good argument for NOT doing it ad-hoc, even. The cost of hiring a security firm versus the cost of the insurance might come close to being a wash.

Saving a bunch of lives vs lawsuit against the church. Seems like a no brainer to me. I will take saving lives for $2000 Alex.

Might be a good argument for NOT doing it ad-hoc, even. The cost of hiring a security firm versus the cost of the insurance might come close to being a wash.
Which is where this point comes in:
Do the research. Having a reasonable plan and getting proper training is essential. Most such security teams are not uniformed, by the way.
I'm sure these teams are everywhere in the US and have war gamed the problem.

Saving a bunch of lives vs lawsuit against the church. Seems like a no brainer to me. I will take saving lives for $2000 Alex.

I mean, I would too, philosophically. But if the lawsuit bankrupts the church and it goes away? That's hardly a good outcome either.

I mean, I would too, philosophically. But if the lawsuit bankrupts the church and it goes away? That's hardly a good outcome either.
Corporations are dissolved every day. Corporations are formed every day.

Goodbye, St Joseph, the Meek. Welcome, St Joseph, the Protector. St Joe is dead; long live St Joe!

Here's the solution.
osha-weapons-restricted-sign-one-16324_1000_1.gif

Of course, that only prohibits wheelguns. Best add a sign for semi-autos, too.

I hate to feed the beast, but perhaps look at a detail cop? While only slightly more useful than broken condom, even when they are looking up from their phone, they do have the ability to shoot threats (real or imaginary) without a lot of legal drama, which is nice.

I hate to feed the beast, but perhaps look at a detail cop? While only slightly more useful than broken condom, even when they are looking up from their phone, they do have the ability to shoot threats (real or imaginary) without a lot of legal drama, which is nice.
With 4hr min details the church will go broke.... 🤣 just sayin..... unless they gon start selling booze at church....

Saving a bunch of lives vs lawsuit against the church...
and i can't see the untrained parishioner security staff untouched in all this. in this part of the world, the states prosecutor would be having a field day dreaming up charges for them.

you probably have one LEO that attends your services, countless others that have the queens permission slips, discreetly let them know they are encouraged to carry at the services. Maybe offer a class to the congregation on self defense for all that are interested. Might get a few that didn't know how to navigate the mass bs on getting a carry permit

Read this: Armed security and your insurance coverage

What might make a team unacceptable for coverage?

• No policies/procedures and written security plan
  • No training or minimal training
  • No background checks on security team members
  • Fully automatic weapons
  • Security team members under the age of 21.
My last church brought in the local police for an initial training and did a couple of range days.
Written procedures including use of force levels.
Every ministry member had background checks not just Sunday school and security.

Their insurance was aware that there was an official armed security team and had no issue once the their requirements were met.

What about a local LEO detail outside during service/events? Is that a thing?

I’ve passed by a few churches having uniformed officers directing traffic exiting the service. The presence alone could be a deterrent versus the church in the next town over…

What about a local LEO detail outside during service/events? Is that a thing?

I’ve passed by a few churches having uniformed officers directing traffic exiting the service. The presence alone could be a deterrent versus the church in the next town over…
Too expensive. Min 4 hour detail.

Back
Top Bottom