Hints for Gunshop Owners

My biggest tip for gun shops would be: patience. I am relatively new to firearms from a ownership point but Ive been around them my whole life. While I know a few things I do like to ask a lot of questions to make sure I am making the right purchase. I am thankful the guys at The Gun Parlor have been very good to me each time Ive gone in there. They can probably tell I am new to things and have been more than helpful. They can always answer my questions, suggestions on what I am looking for even if its just ammo. I went in last time looking for a Sig 229 .40 and while they did have one I didnt feel like dropping the $ at this time. I explained to them what I wad looking for and they showed me probably a dozen firearms before I found the one I liked. Being a "noob" I often feel intimidated going into some stores as I feel like I get the "dont belong here" vibe. Most the places around my area have been very good to me though and very helpful, so just stay patient and work with your customers.

Last edited:
Make sure your employees have the knowledge they need:

Me: "Do you have a Ruger SR45 in all black. I do not want the stainless slide."

LGS: "The black Ruger is illegal. Only the stainless slide version is legal in Mass."

I left and went and bought the all black version at a competitor.

Also, be sure your web sits has the correct prices.

I went to a LGS because they had ammo on sale, per their website.

When I got there, the salesperson disputed my claim....until I showed him the website.

They would not honor the web price.

Make sure your employees have the knowledge they need:

Me: "Do you have a Ruger SR45 in all black. I do not want the stainless slide."

LGS: "The black Ruger is illegal. Only the stainless slide version is legal in Mass."

I left and went and bought the all black version at a competitor.

Also, be sure your web sits has the correct prices.

I went to a LGS because they had ammo on sale, per their website.

When I got there, the salesperson disputed my claim....until I showed him the website.

They would not honor the web price.

In mass they have to honor there advertised Price.
If they don't they face fines and damages.

Yeah, but I am not going to bother for a few bucks a box of ammo.

I just put this on social media and get a much better ROI on the bad behaviors.

Yeah, but I am not going to bother for a few bucks a box of ammo.

I just put this on social media and get a much better ROI on the bad behaviors.

I sell Tractors and Agricultural Equipment for a living. In my business, there is an old saying: "Good news travels fast, but bad news will beat you home." Simply put, when you work in a business with a somewhat insular customer base, it is good sense to honor a quote, even if you lose a few bucks.

I sell Tractors and Agricultural Equipment for a living. In my business, there is an old saying: "Good news travels fast, but bad news will beat you home." Simply put, when you work in a business with a somewhat insular customer base, it is good sense to honor a quote, even if you lose a few bucks.

The good state Line in nh, sold me a osprey bcg for 150$ . Some one crossed out the price sign they where sitting on for 350$ marked down to 250$ and different marker crossed out 250$ and wrote in 150$ . They rang it up and it was 350$ pointed out the sign for 150$ . Guys said well that sucks for us 150$.

Good grief, I just got a rep point for an EIGHT year old post in this thread - one which I quoted Scrivener (long since perma-banned) and Cross-X (now cross-examining those standing before the ultimate Judge, I imagine).

Whoa.

Good grief, I just got a rep point for an EIGHT year old post in this thread - one which I quoted Scrivener (long since perma-banned) and Cross-X (now cross-examining those standing before the ultimate Judge, I imagine).

Whoa.

Old or not, that was funny. And apparently I enjoy digging through old threads!

One of my biggest issues with gun shops is not listing prices especially on line.
Save everyone the time and phone call.

One of my biggest issues with gun shops is not listing prices especially on line.
Save everyone the time and phone call.
The fact that a shop is not up front with prices generally gives you the info you need.

What's worse is shops that will not quote price over the phone.

Besides a lack of literacy in SQL, what would some of those reasons be?
MAP. Manufacturers Advertised Price.
Glock says OK, you can sell our products, but you cannot undercut other dealers. We want all of our dealers to make good money off of our products. We also want our products to maintain its value. You cannot advertise to sell a G19 for less that 600. If we catch you, you will not be able to sell our products anymore. We will blacklist you.

It's not that you can't sell it for less that 600. You just can't tell the public that price.

MAP. Manufacturers Advertised Price.
Glock says OK, you can sell our products, but you cannot undercut other dealers. We want all of our dealers to make good money off of our products. We also want our products to maintain its value. You cannot advertise to sell a G19 for less that 600. If we catch you, you will not be able to sell our products anymore. We will blacklist you.

It's not that you can't sell it for less that 600. You just can't tell the public that price.

I think Sig may do the same thing

Chap 140 sec 123 clauses 18-23
940 CMR 16

You can bet I HAVE a price list electronically.
I see the limits on sales in ch 140/123 but nothing banning showing prices. What am I missing?

I also see lots of limits in 940 CMR 16 but nothing banning showing prices. Once again, what am I missing?

Are their MA rules/laws prohibiting gun shops from listing price online? If there is I want to correct my knowledge deficit in this area.

I walked into a shop that i did business with. I asked if he would take in a preban 1990. I had all paperwork, serial#, FFL in N.C.. he told me bo way in hell. I asked why and he said call Healey and ask her people.

I see the limits on sales in ch 140/123 but nothing banning showing prices. What am I missing?

I also see lots of limits in 940 CMR 16 but nothing banning showing prices. Once again, what am I missing?

Are their MA rules/laws prohibiting gun shops from listing price online? If there is I want to correct my knowledge deficit in this area.
To quote the relevant clauses (they all start the same) "no licensee shall sell, rent, lease, transfer or deliver or offer for sale, lease, transfer or delivery..."

The bolding is mine. Publishing a price list would constitute offering for sale and be a violation of each of those clauses.

The CMR uses the language "offer to transfer" to similarly iterate the same clauses.

So as long as the handguns in question satisfy 940 CMR 16 restrictions and are either on the EOPS list or pre 22 oct 1998 and present in the state prior to 22 oct 1998, then yes, one can publish the prices for such guns. If any of these is not met, then publishing the list would either represent an unfair consumer practice of be in violation of the conditions on ones dealer's license.

Some people have a business model such that there is little point in publishing such a price list.

To quote the relevant clauses (they all start the same) "no licensee shall sell, rent, lease, transfer or deliver or offer for sale, lease, transfer or delivery..."

The bolding is mine. Publishing a price list would constitute offering for sale and be a violation of each of those clauses.

The CMR uses the language "offer to transfer" to similarly iterate the same clauses.

So as long as the handguns in question satisfy 940 CMR 16 restrictions and are either on the EOPS list or pre 22 oct 1998 and present in the state prior to 22 oct 1998, then yes, one can publish the prices for such guns. If any of these is not met, then publishing the list would either represent an unfair consumer practice of be in violation of the conditions on ones dealer's license.

Some people have a business model such that there is little point in publishing such a price list.
I am still missing something.

You are stating that the shop is not allowed to post prices for guns it cannot legally sell. How is that relevant to posting prices for the merchandise you are allowed to sell?

I would also say that if you are offering things via FFL for out of state buyers, you could still post prices with a notice "The listing of prices does not constitute an offer to sell, least, transfer or deliver a firearm when prohibited by MGL, MA CMR or federal law".

I do agree that posting prices is not in the best interests of all shops marketing and business strategy, but that is separate from implying that doing so is illegal. Except maybe in Newton o_O

I hate a certain shop that had a person shooting with a rso. They never shot so it was thier first time. I started shooting. I have those muffs that you can here talking and stuff. They said oh what is that to the rso. He came over . I was shooting my m44. He went back and said i must be a call of duty guy because I was shooting a mosin... I walked around the corner and told him an m44 is capable and I am not a gamer. He looked puzzled. I hate that classist bullshit. If I was a billionaire I would still shoot my highpoint carbines. Fun is fun. Oh yeah that rso is also an owner. I joined another club after my subscription expired. Thier range is short anyway

I am still missing something.

You are stating that the shop is not allowed to post prices for guns it cannot legally sell. How is that relevant to posting prices for the merchandise you are allowed to sell?

I would also say that if you are offering things via FFL for out of state buyers, you could still post prices with a notice "The listing of prices does not constitute an offer to sell, least, transfer or deliver a firearm when prohibited by MGL, MA CMR or federal law".

I do agree that posting prices is not in the best interests of all shops marketing and business strategy, but that is separate from implying that doing so is illegal. Except maybe in Newton o_O
Yes you are still missing the point entirely. The good news is that the people that matter understand what I am not saying and won’t say.

I do agree that posting prices is not in the best interests of all shops marketing and business strategy....
several years ago, when the shield was being introduced, a shop sent out an email announcing they were to start taking orders and published the price in the mailing. i forget the published price but it was fairly cheap i thought. somewhere in the vicinity of $329. i always print a copy of these emails with published prices just in case and bring them to the store. i did that in this case and put 100 down to reserve one. months later the call comes, i take the ad copy with me. they were charging another hundred over the $329 advertised price when i got there to pick it up. they did honor the original published price because i had the ad in hand but there was regret among the owners regarding the publishing of prices and they were not going to do it anymore.

Back
Top Bottom