Hiking in ME with a handgun?

TZCHRIS

NES Member
I apologize if this has been covered but couldnt find it. I do a lot of hiking in ME deep in the woods, can I carry my handgun and if so is it OC or CC. Unloaded? Loaded? Doesnt seem practical if it has to be unloaded? Can I keep it in a backpack?
Thanks for the help.

if i would be hiking in deep woods of Maine i'd be rather carrying loaded with round in the chamber.
mountain lions, bobcats are dangerous animals that can scalp or gut you in the matter of a single minute.
they tend to ambush and attack from cover or from above.

black bears are also something to keep in mind but they most likely will stay away if you are loud enough.

DO check ME carry laws and be aware.

Last edited:
To start IANAL. From the research I have done you can open carry a loaded firearm without a permit while in the woods of Maine. You do need to be careful of Maine state parks because they have a time slot where you cannot open carry while in a state park. You'll have to look up the dates for that slot because I don't remember what they are. If you have a Maine ccw then your good to go conceal away even in the state parks.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

We camp in one of the state parks and hike in the mountains, I will have to check if the mountains are considered state parks. I am applying for a ME license but heard it could take a while.

iirc you can't have a gun in the woods of ME outside of hunting season. Seems overly restrictive, meh, ain't a free state left in the East.

We camp in one of the state parks and hike in the mountains, I will have to check if the mountains are considered state parks. I am applying for a ME license but heard it could take a while.

Sent my ME one in about a month ago, still haven't cashed the check, lots of stuff had to be mailed in with that one, was one fat ole envelope! NH cashed theirs within 5 days of me mailing it.

Check the ME hunting laws. I don't know the answer but they could be restrictive to prevent illegal hunting. [MA has such restrictions in the hunting laws, so I always advise people to check the state in question's hunting laws just to be sure.]

Maine is an open carry state. I do not believe they can tag you for hiking in the Maine woods with a open holstered hand gun. If you were openly carrying a shotgun or rifle in the woods they might have a case. Concealed carry with out a CCW while actively hunting is also legal. But only while actively in the woods hunting with a hunting license.

Other wise concealed carry without a CCW is illegal.

I also believe a gun in a case unloaded in a back pack would be legal as well. The law reads that you cannot without a ccw have a concealed gun on or about your person. In a case, in a backpack would not meet that standard. Just in an outside pocket on your back back I think would.

IMHO, I think for your purposes and with out having a CCW, I would carry a loaded open carry holstered handgun. Just keep in mind, that while it is legal to open carry up here, I have never scene it. If you are deep in the woods I cannot imagine anyone else getting upset about seeing someone with a gun and attracting attention to yourself. However, if you are hiking on a very popular trail with lots of out of staters or Portlanders, who might attack some attention, although you would still be legal.

My opinion is worth what you paid for it. Maine has a very good searchable law website. I suggest you tackle that to make sure. Have fun.

BTW... Mountain Lions in Maine? It has not been confirmed yet.

The best bet, for your next trip, is to get a Maine CCW.

handgunlaw.us

http://opencarry.org/

Maine Firearms Law
<http://www.nps.gov/nero/firearms/ME/index.htm>

How do I find a Maine law?
<http://www.maine.gov/tools/whatsnew/index.php?topic=Portal_HowDoI&id=12292&v=article2011>

Concealed Handgun Permits
<http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/weapons_permits.html>

Attorney General, Dept. of
<http://www.maine.gov/ag>

Parks and Lands, Bureau of (Maine State Parks)
<http://www.maine.gov/doc/parks/>

Baxter State Park Authority
<http://www.baxterstateparkauthority.com/>

State Police
<http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/>

Over the years I've spent a lot of time in Maine, some of it in the Great North Woods and I've never, ever been without a loaded handgun.

If you don't have a permit, you have to open carry, rain or shine. It has to be visible to a ranger should you encounter one. If you have your permit, that permit allows concealed carry.

I send my permit request into Maine on March 4th. The check was cashed on April 14th and my permit arrived on May 22rd. They even used the photo fo me in my tux! Way cool.

With the wildlife up there I'd never be unarmed. It was all open carry until now since I do have my non-res permit.

Rome

Does anyone worry that when you 'open carry' your gun could be 'grabbed' by someone? I have never OC so I am just wondering. I think if I had my choice I much prefer CC.

Does anyone worry that when you 'open carry' your gun could be 'grabbed' by someone? I have never OC so I am just wondering. I think if I had my choice I much prefer CC.

Yes, definitely! However, my OC experience was as a uniformed police officer. I was always very aware of anyone standing around near me.

This is a non-issue. Think about it.

I disagree. We don't (almost ever) wear retention holsters (as POs do these days) to prevent a grab. If in line in ChinaMart or other crowded location, I would certainly worry about this and it is one of my reasons why I wouldn't do it, even if it was accepted practice. YMMV

If you're worried about weapons retention you should learn and practice it force on force, unloaded of course. Get your thumb between your body and the handgun and keep your hand on the attacker's hand or the butt of the gun. Make the attacker surrender his body leverage to reach for it. Use this moment of opportunity to execute a hip toss, flying armbar, knifehand to the throat, dirty sanchez, or old fashioned knee in the pants. Use your free hand to defend yourself. If it goes to the ground, try and lay on the gun. Do not under any circumstances let go of it. Alot of gun people carry knives weak hand side for this purpose.

Having taken an officer survival-weapons retention 1 day course in the police academy, it was very eye opening. IIRC this was before retention holsters were mandated and we each tried to rip the gun off a fellow officer and had it done to us, plus numerous other tactical drills.

If a civilian version is offered anywhere, I highly recommend it to anyone who ccws or even thinks about OC.

The funny thing is my LEO buddy (many years ago) gave me a sweet OC retention holster for my Glock and I gave it back to him because I figured I would never OC. May have to pay him a visit........

Over the years I've spent a lot of time in Maine, some of it in the Great North Woods and I've never, ever been without a loaded handgun.

If you don't have a permit, you have to open carry, rain or shine. It has to be visible to a ranger should you encounter one. If you have your permit, that permit allows concealed carry.

I send my permit request into Maine on March 4th. The check was cashed on April 14th and my permit arrived on May 22rd. They even used the photo fo me in my tux! Way cool.

With the wildlife up there I'd never be unarmed. It was all open carry until now since I do have my non-res permit.

Rome

The only wildlife you need a gun for up here is the 2-legged kind.

Eveybody is petrified of bears. I've been in the woods up here for 40+ years and I've seen a grand total of 2 bears in the wild, and those 2 were making all possible speed away from me.

Last year we had a bear in the camp next to us (knuckle heads left food out) 10 years back at Moosehead Lake we had a huge bear at the dumpster, he came back every night until one night we had guys marching around with guns in pairs looking for the bear. They got him, tranquilized it and put it in the bed of the pickup to transport many miles away. They actually let us hop in the bed and check it out, took up the whole bed of the truck, the paws were bigger than my head! This was also another case of people leaving food out. I definetly fear the 2 legged creatures as well.

Back
Top Bottom