Hiking in Maine? Looking fro verification...

...howdy...I've spent the last hour or so researching this, but just want to make sure I have it all....I am planning on driving up to the Gorham, NH area to camp tonight, camping somewhere along the border, then going for a hike tomorrow along the nh/ me border.

I have a NH ltc.

What I seeing is that NH LTC will be as usual, but once I hit the ME border, since I have no ltc for ME, I must either:
1. In car: unload gun, leave in plain sight OR unload gun, put in lock box in back
2. On foot/ hiking: Open carry

If we end up setting up a tent on the ME side of the border, that would fall under above rule #2, correct?

Thanks,

Mark

You are pretty much correct. There are very few gun laws in Maine and even less case law to review. While open carry is legal, I have never seen it done. It might attract attention, and it is up to you whether or not you want that kind of attention. You will not get arrested for it, but you might get questioned for it. I always wonder also if you hike past some anti-gun lunatic who is mentally unstable and they get all scared and worried that they saw a gun. What that sort of person is capable of accusing you of is wide open. You may get back from your hike and find the police waiting for you because the lunatic decided you acted in a threatening manner. The chances of it happening are slim, but it does happen. There was a case recently in NH or Vermont, where some antigun lunatic went down a farm road that had no trespassing signs and drove up to the house looking for directions. The owner had a gun with him. He did not make any threatening moves towards the woman, but the woman was scared and called the police. I do not remember the outcome, but better off to just have it concealed then you do not have to worry about that kind of circumstance.

I believe it would be legal to have it in a case in a back pack. I believe, if you read the law, the key is that is not loaded and not easily accessed. That might be the safest bet.

BTW, my advice is worth what you paid for it.

Hello. I have a similar situation. I am going hiking/camping up in Maine this weekend and would like to bring a handgun with me. What are my options here if I am a MA LTC holder?

Can I keep it concealed on my body?
Can I keep it in my backpack?
Should I leave it at home?

Thank you for the help!!

Hello. I have a similar situation. I am going hiking/camping up in Maine this weekend and would like to bring a handgun with me. What are my options here if I am a MA LTC holder?

Maine does not have reciprocity with MA... so you MA LTC would be meaningless.

http://www.maine.gov/dps/msp/licenses/weapons_permits.html
Concealed Firearms:

Maine has reciprocal agreements with the following States for resident concealed firearm permits:

* Delaware (March 13, 2009)
* South Dakota (May 18, 2009)
* Louisiana (June 25, 2009)
* North Dakota - Class 1 Permits (June 7, 2010)
* Wyoming (June 7, 2010)
* Arkansas (June 21, 2010)

No

My interpretation of the law is that if it is in a backpack, cased and unloaded, that would be legal. But I could be wrong. The law reads that you cannot conceal "on your person or about the person's person." I believe that has always meant you cannot have a loaded gun concealed within easy access of your person. So, if you are driving down the road with a gun in your glove compartment and all you have to do is reach over and open the compartment door then you are in violation of the law. But if you have the gun in the back seat out of reach and in a case and unloaded, then you would be all set. Unloaded and in a case and in a zippered back pack would not, in my eyes meet the standard of easily accessible. To read the laws regarding CCW, download the State Police Information booklet from the link provided above

From: http://www.mainelegislature.org/ros/LOM/LOM121st/10Pub451-500/Pub451-500-81.htm

B. Wear under the person's clothes or conceal about the person's person a firearm, slungshot, knuckles, bowie knife, dirk, stiletto or other dangerous or deadly weapon usually employed in the attack on or defense of a person.

Don't know.

It might be worth it to get you NR ME permit to carry concealed. It is not that much and if you have your MA LTC it will be easy to get. That way any future trips to ME you will have nothing to worry about. Good luck and have fun.

My advice is worth what you paid for it.

Thank you for the help!!

OPEN CARRY

I know that's a foreign concept in the land of suitability, but there is no license in Maine to carry a loaded pistol on your person. Just a license to carry a CONCEALED handgun on your person.

Back
Top Bottom