• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hiker dies in the Presidentials

FrugalFannie

NES Member
I cant believe someone would go out in those conditions to start with. And to do it by herself! WTF?! I feel no sorrow for her. She either overestimated her abilities, underestimated the conditions or just said "I'm invinceable!"

Presumably, as an experienced hiker, she should have known what she was getting into and either 1- prepared better or 2 - NOT GONE!
http://nypost.com/2015/02/17/new-york-hiker-freezes-to-death-in-new-hampshire-mountains/

I cant believe someone would go out in those conditions to start with. And to do it by herself! WTF?! I feel no sorrow for her. She either overestimated her abilities, underestimated the conditions or just said "I'm invinceable!"

Presumably, as an experienced hiker, she should have known what she was getting into and either 1- prepared better or 2 - NOT GONE!
http://nypost.com/2015/02/17/new-york-hiker-freezes-to-death-in-new-hampshire-mountains/

Could not agree more, there's no way you go into that situation alone.

002MRD_Harve_Presnell_003.jpg

I have to assume she knew about the weather in the Presidentials. So, with that and her level of experience I'm calling it suicide.

Having hiked Washington this past December and Pierce just last weekend, I can say from experience this woman was an idiot to go out alone. The tree markings are buried in snow and trail signs are easy to miss even with a partner. Weather and wind is totally unpredictable. Monroe to Adams where she was found is totally exposed and above the tree line. If she was going for Washington she knew it wasnt a day trip. She knew better. Her negligence of basic safety cost her her life and endangered her rescuers.

NYC woman freezes to death hiking in New Hampshire

My first thought was that she was trying to get on top of mt. Obama and couldn't find a peak as big as his ego [rofl]

Yeah - she probably thought we couldn't possibly have anything to compare to Siberia.

Born in Siberia, nourished in Palm Beach and NYC ... you know that her heritage was trying to get her out of the gene pool. People that dumb have hard time soliciting pity.

was she any relation to skipper and gilligan who went out for a sail to australia during the last blizzard, and needed a USCG Helo taxi to get home?

Or murder, wtf was her *husband* thinking dropping her off?

-chris

Yah, so this would be one of those rare/few instances where I would play the spouse veto card. I'd assume the they discussed the weather forecast on the drive up from NYC...100 mile per hour winds, -30 wind chill. Sorry babe, let's get a hotel, you're not getting away from me that easy.

Easy to say in retrospect, though it seems like it would be a no brainer at the time too. I bet that dude is really beating himself up (assuming he didn't want her dead, of course).

I have to assume she knew about the weather in the Presidentials. So, with that and her level of experience I'm calling it suicide.
Just a dumbass. She probably figured she had a locator beacon if she got into trouble. She didnt think about the people she would put in harms way when she needed help. These men and women had to go out in a blizzard looking for her. F her and her stupid husband. I guess its just the thinning of the herd.

This was neither suicide nor murder. It was a serious mistake that cost her her life. The area she was hiking in had some of the worse weather conditions on the entire planet that day. Lots of people solo hike the Whites. She was plenty experienced as a hiker, though sadly her experience in risk management wasn't as high.

My bet is she didn't want to waste the long drive up doing something less challenging. Terrible gamble.

A fb post from one of the guys who found her said she was off trail down a hill and seemed to have fallen.

Just a dumbass. She probably figured she had a locator beacon if she got into trouble. She didnt think about the people she would put in harms way when she needed help. These men and women had to go out in a blizzard looking for her. F her and her stupid husband. I guess its just the thinning of the herd.

Should have left her there until spring.
Fortunately no one else got hurt by her stupidity.
Dont fool with mother nature

from what little I could scrounge to make a stereotypical judgement on a chick from Palm Beach living in Manhattan married to a VP of JP Morgan, she was really looking for personal challenge to set her apart ... [laugh]

I'm pretty positive that she is well insured.

[video=youtube_share;T65rW_SIzg0]http://youtu.be/T65rW_SIzg0[/video]

History shows again and again
How nature points up the folly of men

Am I the only person who speed read this thread and saw "Hitler dies in the presidentials" I was thinking "WTF I thought he died in Germany?".

ok, serious hat back on.... for anyone to go hiking this time of year... on anything other than stuff you're intimately familiar with... is kinda like the definition of full retard. Hell going out there this time of year is retarded period unless it's a life or death thing.

-Mike

I wonder if she bought a NH Hike Safe card? Hubby could end up with a bill.

A law passed in 2014 authorizes the New Hampshire Fish and Game Department to sell a voluntary hike safe card for $25 per person and $35 per family. People who obtain the cards will not be liable to repay rescue costs if they need to be rescued due to negligence on their part, regardless of whether they are hiking, boating, cross country skiing, hunting, or engaging in any other outdoor activity. An individual may still be liable for response expenses, however, if such person is deemed to have recklessly or to have intentionally created a situation requiring an emergency response.

People who possess a current New Hampshire Fish and Game hunting or fishing license, or a current registration for an off-highway recreational vehicle, snowmobile or boat, will also be exempt from repaying rescue costs due to negligence.

The law takes effect January 1, 2015.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Law_Enforcement/hike_safe_card_FAQs.html

Looking at the Post article and pictures she looked like an extremely type A personality - married to a JP Morgan Guy, a trader herself and and extremely fit adventurer type. Perhaps she was prepping for Everest? Even so , really poor judgement to make a decision to venture out in that weather at all without a buddy.

Back
Top Bottom