• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hightower V. Boston

Whose summary judgment motion was denied?

Without digging into the record, it looked like both parties moved for it (cross motion). When SJ is denied on a cross-motion, either there are facts in dispute, or as is more likely here, each party has some decent arguments to be heard.

I got bogged down in the legalese, but it appears that playing a part was the fact that Hightower didn't reapply for a LTC after being denied. [thinking]

This was a thrashing. The court essentially went on to opine that there was nothing wrong with arbitrarily revoking licenses and confiscating firearms, because one could always appeal.

Excuse my public school education but,

what does this mean, I'm only trained on stuff they asked me on the MCAS

It means that we were beaten so badly, that we may not make it and were so brutalized in the process that our mothers will not be able to hold an open coffin viewing if we do indeed pass on.

Here's Patrick's summary from the MDShooters forum.
- Second Amendment claim not ripe because plaintiff has no Second Amendment right to carry a firearm on her person outside the home.

- Public Safety/Substantial Interest

- 2A Two-Step (the right does not exist so we can apply rational basis dressed up as something else to dispose of the claim)

- In the Home

- Concealed Weapons are categorically allowed to be banned under Heller

- If the Supreme Court means to protect public carry, they will need to do it themselves because I won't have any role in extending this right.

Blah, blah, blah.

Give the judge credit for writing what she would have done had the Second Amendment been ripe in her eyes. This is good fodder for appeal. She could have just ignored it all and put off most of the two-step for another day.

It was a thrashing in the sense that we didn't get much out of it, but this was to be expected. Some arguments are destined for higher courts. I'm just glad we got a decision at this level before the supremes decide which cases they're taking, which will probably pause this and other carry cases.

We got more out of it then meets the eye actually.

The implication that discretion for restricted LTC-A is probably unconstitutional is one positive. The other thing I think is probably useful for us is that the decision went into 2A analysis even though the 2A claims were dismissed as unripe. This may save some steps when the whole line of reasoning gets smacked down by a higher court.

The implication that discretion for restricted LTC-A is probably unconstitutional is one positive. .

Likewise the implication that bear requires that a license must actually include carry (although unloaded, boxed, and locked was not discussed).

The other thing I think is probably useful for us is that the decision went into 2A analysis even though the 2A claims were dismissed as unripe. This may save some steps when the whole line of reasoning gets smacked down by a higher court.
I'm generally not in favor of judicial activism even if it favors a position I happen to heavily support.

A court has no business discussing constitutional liberties and rights if it chooses to dismiss a case on lesser grounds.

Wow.

Is it possible that the court could rule very broadly on this? Suitability, high capacity, etc and strike down a lot of the Mass BS in one fell swoop?

Wow.

Is it possible that the court could rule very broadly on this? Suitability, high capacity, etc and strike down a lot of the Mass BS in one fell swoop?

No. Just carry and possibly suitability as a whole, or some part of it. Suitability is a multi-headed hydra.

Anyone who harbors any delusions about filing a pro-se gun rights case should read the entire set of filings to get an idea how much work goes into a competently prepared case.

No. Just carry and possibly suitability as a whole, or some part of it. Suitability is a multi-headed hydra.

At some point doesn't this also deal with the whole "you need an LTC to buy a handgun" thing as well, or is that something incidental, but not discussed?

-Mike

At some point doesn't this also deal with the whole "you need an LTC to buy a handgun" thing as well, or is that something incidental, but not discussed?

-Mike

Different issue and not one likely to be dealt with through that narrow issue. If licenses are required, the licensing scheme the state puts in place will have some latitude in how it operates so long as it doesn't dissuade ownership. I hold out hope that licensing is thrown down the rat hole to die however and I wouldn't do it based on low capacity firearms having an exemption.

low capacity firearms

I like the way you word this.

I love to refer to anything 10 rounds or less as low capacity when talking with people who aren't gun people.I refer to anything 10 rounds or higher as standard capacity. If most of the country doesn't restrict what we know as high capacity, they are standard in my opinion. If only a few places limits to 10 rounds, why would those magazines get the standard capacity tag?

Back
Top Bottom