• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

High Visibility Sight Reccomendations

Gually

NES Member
Hey guys & gals,

Wanted to get some opinions on sights from yalls. I have a S&W M&P Shield + and a Canik Mete SFT (thanks to GOAL for the Canik in the Lucky20 raffle).

My eyes arent the best and I'm looking for reccomendations for front or front and rear high visibility sights for both guns whether it be white dot, fiber optic etc and wondering what any of you might have used and find to be the best high visibility sights.

Attachments

• 20230110_135354.jpg
    20230110_135354.jpg
    802 KB · Views: 8
If you're sticking with irons, fiber optic front sight, red or green. They pick up light pretty well.

Depending upon what's wrong with your eyes, red dots might be the answer.

I've been primarily shooting dots for the last couple of years. Getting older, wearing progressive bi-focals with corrections for astigmatisms.

If you're sticking with irons, fiber optic front sight, red or green. They pick up light pretty well.

Depending upon what's wrong with your eyes, red dots might be the answer.

I've been primarily shooting dots for the last couple of years. Getting older, wearing progressive bi-focals with corrections for astigmatisms.
Yeah I've seen the fiber optic irons but never used them, they look interesting. Would you say whether either the red or green give better visibility than the other?

I do want to play around with a red dot too. Any brands of red dots you personally like?

As my eyes have aged, switching to fiber optic has worked for me.

Yeah I've seen the fiber optic irons but never used them, they look interesting. Would you say whether either the red or green give better visibility than the other?

I do want to play around with a red dot too. Any brands of red dots you personally like?
I think that is personal preference (I use red).

Nice thing about fiber optic is that changing the rod (color) is easy to do.

Don't like red, then switch to green. Oh wait, red was indeed better, just switch back.

based on some of your earlier posts, I expect this is going to be an especially personal test for you. Short of spending a ton of money on false starts, I would see about trying other people's setups to see what seems most promising. Where are you located?

show pictures of the rear sights you have now, and, what is it exactly that you find not working well with them?
your current fronts seem to have quite well sized bright white spots, do rear sights have similar ones? is the issue to line them up, or see the target as well as spots?

TruGlo makes a combo tritium & fibre set (Sig resells just the front) and its a terrific sight. I thiknk
it's their TFX (??) series.

if you have astigmatism, a regular red dot will not work well for you (YMMV)

TruGlo makes a combo tritium & fibre set (Sig resells just the front) and its a terrific sight. I thiknk

That's a definite "YMMV" - I have astigmatisms in both eyes, corrective lenses - and dots work fine for me.

Yes, TruGlo TFX Pro sights. Good sights.

Hey guys & gals,

Wanted to get some opinions on sights from yalls. I have a S&W M&P Shield + and a Canik Mete SFT (thanks to GOAL for the Canik in the Lucky20 raffle).

My eyes arent the best and I'm looking for reccomendations for front or front and rear high visibility sights for both guns whether it be white dot, fiber optic etc and wondering what any of you might have used and find to be the best high visibility sights.
I like the tritium sights on my 4013, came on the pistol when I bought it 15 years ago , still going strong

I like the fiber front black rear the best. I have fiber/fiber on my edc.

Haven’t tried the fiber/trijicon front....might have to but not sold on needing trijicon for a pistol....to each their own. Despite my mediocre shooting, I still have perfect vision.....

Thin fiber optic front. I prefer red. All black rear sight with a wider rear notch. Dawson makes good sights.

Once me eyes could no longer work with those sights, I switched to red dots.

Last edited:
Hey guys & gals,

I don't know if they're Glock specific, but the 'day glo' sights on the G47 (sorry, don't know specifics) are almost like a red dot. Easy to see, unlike other sights, you put the front dot where you want the bullet to hit. Not great for 'accuracy', but minute of man? It's quick, and like I've said before, qual scores across the agency went up dramatically. I'll dig around, it's out there somewhere.

Edit

This looks like what was on my gun. I have to say though, I lost the orange part, so something to keep in mind. I was the only one I heard of and we went through several hundred guns while I was there.

Last edited:

Red or green is entirely up to you. The thing about fiber optics, as mentioned by someone else in this thread, is that it's not baked into the sight, it's replacable. You cut out the one that's in it, insert another one, melt the ends and you're all set.

Playing around with red dots is EXPENSIVE. Go shoot someone else's before you commit to buying one. Personally, I have Burris FastFire 3's on a couple of my 22's, and Trijicons on some of my centerfire handguns, (9mm, .45ACP and .357Sig). The Burris sights aren't too expensive, but they're way too fragile for anything but a range toy.

I've got SROs for my range toys and RMRs for my carry guns. The SROs have larger glass and consequently the dot is easier to acquire, (for me), but they don't seem as durable to me as the RMRs, (opinion - not backed up by scientific study). They've got excellent warranties and I really like them, but an RMR on sale is still going to cost you 400 plus. I've got them on Glocks - the optic cost more than the gun in some cases.

I've heard very good things about Holosun sights, handled a few guns with them, but have no experience shooting them, nor any valid opinion regarding their durability.

I dithered a long time before I put RMRs on any of my carry guns. Life has shown me that things go wrong at the worst possible time, and having no sights on a self defense weapon would suck. Most people who put optics on their carry guns back them up with iron sights.

Yes, TruGlo TFX Pro sights. Good sights.

I’ll second the Tru Glo TFX. I have them on all but one of my pistols and my wife has them on three of her four pistols. Extremely bright in normal conditions and great in low/no light

I wish I could remember which brand of fiber optic front sight I have; they are available in different heights to help with zeroing.

Anyone have experience using JUST a front fiber sight? Mepro has this setup where if you line it up right, there's a bright dot in the middle of the front fiber tube. No rear sight needed.

MEPROLIGHT MEPRO FT Bullseye Fiber and Tritium Based Day and Night Fixed Front Sight https://a.co/d/4GdsRFK

Back
Top Bottom