• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

High Point Carbine rifles.....

mrmags

Banned
I have been looking for a marlin camp rifle (carbine) without success! So I started looking into other options. I found this High Point brand in 9mm, .40 and .45! Read lots of mixed reviews, so I found one used on the boards, before buying it my local gunshop got a shipment of brand new High Points in, $315 bucks! I figured I was going to get what I paid for, but I was very surprised! Out of the box this carbine is soo accurate, I couldn't believe it! Bought a 200 round count box of Ammomax reloads, (sooo dirty) and 2 100 count Winchester value packs. Took it to the range this morning and blew off all 200 reloads first, without a single issue! Then shot the 200 rounds of clean factory ammo and again not a single issue! The thing that got me the most, was how dang accurate this is out of the box with iron sights. at 75 yards we were getting 1-2 inch grouping...easily! There was no recoil and was very comfortable to shoot. The one downfall of this carbine is the trigger, kind of sucks, long pull, long reset, but you do get used to it. Overall a solid rifle at $315 bucks!

Looks like a pain in the @ss to disassemble and clean, gunsmith told me these are made to run 5,000-10,000 rounds before they need cleaning, I find that extremely hard to believe... if anyone else has any experience with these, let me know. Im interested in pulling this thing apart, but looks dam complicated!!

If you're still looking for a marlin camp rifle there's one at Northeast trading. I'm not a big fan of the place, just letting you know they got one though. I think it's in 9mm. They're asking something like $700 or $800 for it.

I have been looking for a marlin camp rifle (carbine) without success! So I started looking into other options. I found this High Point brand in 9mm, .40 and .45! Read lots of mixed reviews, so I found one used on the boards, before buying it my local gunshop got a shipment of brand new High Points in, $315 bucks! I figured I was going to get what I paid for, but I was very surprised! Out of the box this carbine is soo accurate, I couldn't believe it! Bought a 200 round count box of Ammomax reloads, (sooo dirty) and 2 100 count Winchester value packs. Took it to the range this morning and blew off all 200 reloads first, without a single issue! Then shot the 200 rounds of clean factory ammo and again not a single issue! The thing that got me the most, was how dang accurate this is out of the box with iron sights. at 75 yards we were getting 1-2 inch grouping...easily! There was no recoil and was very comfortable to shoot. The one downfall of this carbine is the trigger, kind of sucks, long pull, long reset, but you do get used to it. Overall a solid rifle at $315 bucks!

Looks like a pain in the @ss to disassemble and clean, gunsmith told me these are made to run 5,000-10,000 rounds before they need cleaning, I find that extremely hard to believe... if anyone else has any experience with these, let me know. Im interested in pulling this thing apart, but looks dam complicated!!

What model and caliber did you get ? (9mm, .40 or .45)
What did you get for $315 ? TS with what accessories ?

For search purpose, the name is hi-point
Hi-Point Firearms: 9mm Carbines

People I know has fun with theirs ( 9mm - 995TS 4x25), bought for under $300 before November 2012, now they are hard to come by for under $400.

Thanks, was looking for a .45 really, and wasn't looking to spend a grand, this was a cheap way out, we'll see how reliable after I put 1500 more rounds down range!!

I bought the .40, theres a shop by me that got about 25 of them in, I got the double mag holder and extra clips, throwing my eotech on it for next round!!

Definitely check out you tube for disassembly/reassembly instructions. I did it once after a couple of hundred rounds just out of curiosity. They aren't kidding when they say not too worry about cleaning it until 5k -10k rounds have been put through it. It wasn't to hard to strip and reassemble but it is not very intuitive. Great gun for the money, I love my 9mm..

Definitely check out you tube for disassembly/reassembly instructions. I did it once after a couple of hundred rounds just out of curiosity. They aren't kidding when they say not too worry about cleaning it until 5k -10k rounds have been put through it. It wasn't to hard to strip and reassemble but it is not very intuitive. Great gun for the money, I love my 9mm..

so after you have stripped and cleaned yours, how many rounds do you have thru it, do you have occasional problems or has it fired flawless even dirty? thanks for the heads up!

"I figured I was going to get what I paid for, but I was very surprised! Out of the box this carbine is soo accurate, I couldn't believe it."

I was the same when I bought my 4095. I bought it for $299 and because at the time the handgun reviews were garbage, I didn't think the carbines would be anything "wow" worthy. I was wrong, very wrong. Right out of the box I put 200rnds through it with no issues. Accuracy at 20yards (indoor range) with iron sights was amazing. My only complaints about are that the stock would rub my cheek with every shot because the iron sights were so low. And the way you lock the bolt back with the handle knob was weird.
When I DCOA'd it, yea, it was a pain at first. Getting the heat sheild and receiver cover off was something different, I wan't used to having to do so much just to field strip a rifle.
I have a video on youtube of me shooting it right out of the box. Its not the best quality video but you can see how accurate it was at 20yards.
If you would like the link please PM me.

-Dave

Its a fun gun for sure, I have put around 2,500 rounds through mine without cleaning it yet.

...The thing that got me the most, was how dang accurate this is out of the box with iron sights. at 75 yards we were getting 1-2 inch grouping...easily! There was no recoil and was very comfortable to shoot. The one downfall of this carbine is the trigger, kind of sucks, long pull, long reset, but you do get used to it. Overall a solid rifle at $315 bucks!...

Agreed! I love my Hi Point. Big fan. Rock solid gun and accurate. Very big "smile factor" when shooting it. Everyone that see's it wants to try it and everyone that tries it, wants to buy one.
Some more pic's of mine and mini review at Hi-Point 995TS Tactical Stock Carbine beemiller inc. hi-point firearms model 995 brass stacker compensator Barska biometric safe

Two good forum sites dedicated to all things Hi Point are: Hipointtalk.net ? Index page and Hipoint Firearms Forums there is plenty of good members that can give first hand experiences with the gun.

abag4_zpsb44edc9c.jpg

I bought the .40, theres a shop by me that got about 25 of them in, I got the double mag holder and extra clips, throwing my eotech on it for next round!!

Which shop did you get your .40 at? I have a 9 on order through the group by because I heard Hi-point put a hold on the .40 since they had so many orders for 9's and 45's.

Thanks

so after you have stripped and cleaned yours, how many rounds do you have thru it, do you have occasional problems or has it fired flawless even dirty? thanks for the heads up!

Flwaless from day one. I shoot three different powered reloads through it (115gr RN, 124gr rn and 124gr hp) After 400 rounds I disassembled because I was curious as to how to do it (I know I should have cleaned it before using but it is a Hi-Point for God's sake).
After seeing how little carbon was inside the thing I would say you could safely run run it for thousands of rounds (or mis-feeds/jams start) without cleaning.

According to the manual that came with mine, it states "barrel brushed every 300-400 rounds and complete disassembly and cleaning should be performed at 1500-2000 rounds.
I've shot all kind of ammo through it (name brands, reloads, foreign brands.etc), all with success. I've yet to find anything that won't fire through it.

Love my 9mm Hi Point, get one you won't regret it. Mine will eat any type of ammo I put through it, and it's dead accurate with the stock iron sights - I mean even at 80-100 yards. I was shocked. I still can't believe it when I take the thing out to shoot.

Sorry I sent out pms about the shop.. but I see someone else already helped out. I actually put a hold on the 9mm and picking it up Tuesday. SO fun, accurate and reliable out of the box. unreal for the price point!!

Found a .40 for sale through someone on here and I love it. Also getting the 9 from the group buy (hopefully soon). thinking of doing a hundred rounds through the 9 the packing it away with some hp ammo as a JIC gun....

Back
Top Bottom