• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

High capacity definition for fa-10?

I bought an S&W M&P9 when living in PA. When I knew that I was moving to MA, I sold the 17rd mags and bought 10rd ones. I am filling out the FA-10 since I will be moving them here this weekend. Is the pistol still considered high capacity even though you cannot have high cap mags for it?

I bought an S&W M&P9 when living in PA. When I knew that I was moving to MA, I sold the 17rd mags and bought 10rd ones.

My Condolences.

I am filling out the FA-10 since I will be moving them here this weekend. Is the pistol still considered high capacity even though you cannot have high cap mags for it?

Some would say "It's not on the large cap roster so it's not large capacity".

Oddly enough though, say you were a LEO and you bought one in MA with
the large cap mags legally- then the gun is large capacity. [laugh]

For practical purposes none of this matters much. BTW, if you are MOVING here with the gun, you DO NOT need to file an FA-10- there is an exemption in the law for moves. You only need to do this if you bring the gun in -after- your move date.

-Mike

I think most FA-10 forms get pretty much randomly filled out as to the large capacity question. I've had dealers fill in FA-10 forms for guns I've bought as large capacity when they absolutely weren't, and as non-large capacity when they were on the large cap roster.
shrug.gif

I generally take drgrant's approach. If it's on the roster or has a large cap mag with it, it gets marked large capacity. Otherwise it doesn't.

I think most FA-10 forms get pretty much randomly filled out as to the large capacity question. I've had dealers fill in FA-10 forms for guns I've bought as large capacity when they absolutely weren't, and as non-large capacity when they were on the large cap roster.
shrug.gif

I generally take drgrant's approach. If it's on the roster or has a large cap mag with it, it gets marked large capacity. Otherwise it doesn't.

+1. If you have a large cap mag (clearly, with an M&P, you cannot) or it's on the roster, then X the box, otherwise, just send it in.

I thought it would be large capacity, because the manufacturer originally made it (and shipped it) with a large capacity magazine?

Please flame me so that I can feel properly chastised if I'm wrong.

I thought it would be large capacity, because the manufacturer originally made it (and shipped it) with a large capacity magazine?

Please flame me so that I can feel properly chastised if I'm wrong.

That's Scrivener's definition.

Back
Top Bottom