• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

high cap magazine

Also, where it becomes grey in my mind is yes glock hasn't released information that actually shows what a preban is or postban is (I know this is talked about often) and there are plenty of threads that show the differences. But, I don't have a bill of sale of course that shows I purchased this magazine before the ban. Reason being, I didn't. Could this be a problem?

That officer was a dillweed. You also have no obligation to prove a preban is preban. The state has to prove it’s not.

If you get jammed up for something (guns seized after a red flag/restraining order for whatever reason or use a gun in self defense and have your LTC pulled), then very possibly the police will charge you with an AWB violation for a “large capacity” magazine. LEOs and prosecutors just like to throw everything possible at people to leverage into a plea deal. Don’t talk and wait for your attorney. You’ll be fine because your preban is legal.

That officer was a dillweed. You also have no obligation to prove a preban is preban. The state has to prove it’s not...
Don’t talk and wait for your attorney. You’ll be fine because your preban is legal.

And how much headache & expense do you want to go through to be fine since you’re legally in the right?

All solid replies. Of course, I respect & appreciate law enforcement. I'm sure a lot of others do as well. I understand all sides & angles and understand what I decide to do & don't do effects others such as making sure wrongful acts don't go unsaid. I guess at the end of the day it's better to avoid conflict than cause conflict.

Such a change of subject, but my brother and I have been discussing insurance for self defense, anyone have any information? Has anyone pursued insurance?

I hope myself & others in this community never have to even think about drawing their firearm in self defense. But shit happens everyday. I mean that's why a lot of us decide to carry. However, I feel that if this were to ever occur part of me may wonder why I decided to carry in the first place.

And how much headache & expense do you want to go through to be fine since you’re legally in the right?

As I said, they like to charge with anything they possibly can. A preban mag won’t be the only thing they try to ding you on. But it should be a very easy thing to beat. And yes, exercising my right, and even doing so legally in this oppressive state, is worth the potential hassle to me.

As I said, they like to charge with anything they possibly can. A preban mag won’t be the only thing they try to ding you on. But it should be a very easy thing to beat.

In the OP he was talking about being warned that a hardo Cop at the range could potentially take his mags/give him a hard time for having “non-compliant“ mags, that’s what I was referring to. Yes, if you‘re being arrested for other stuff they’ll probably throw in mag charges too but that’ll likely be the least of your worries. And absolutely, mouth shut other than “Lawyer”

In the OP he was talking about being warned that a hardo Cop at the range could potentially take his mags/give him a hard time for having “non-compliant“ mags, that’s what I was referring to. Yes, if you‘re being arrested for other stuff they’ll probably throw in mag charges too but that’ll likely be the least of your worries. And absolutely, mouth shut other than “Lawyer”

In that case, of an officer seizing legal property without charges, I’m suing. Even if they only thing I can afford is small claims court for the value of the mag itself and not for violating my rights.

was he there as a member of the club? or as part of some privilege agreement with a local department? in uniform? either way i'd be in contact with the board. cops using a clubs range per some sort of agreement with their department don't look favorably on those cops threatening the members. it could put an end to those range privileges right quick. same goes for if he was there as a member and threatened another member. when i drive through my clubs gates i expect my time there be unmolested.

was he there as a member of the club? or as part of some privilege agreement with a local department? in uniform? either way i'd be in contact with the board. cops using a clubs range per some sort of agreement with their department don't look favorably on those cops threatening the members. it could put an end to those range privileges right quick. same goes for if he was there as a member and threatened another member. when i drive through my clubs gates i expect my time there be unmolested.

He was just a member shooting his guns. Not uniformed. Like I said, he wasn't intimidating me or trying to, and if he did than yeah absolutely I would've at the most mentioned his name to an RO and if they care to follow through good for them otherwise I got no issues telling someone to focus on what their doing. I just am amazed at all the typical thoughts people such as myself who just got into shooting & getting their LTC run into. Literally 1 month of being on this website I've read/heard about this same exact scenario 5+ times and day 1 of using a high cap magazine I run into this. Insane, absolutely insane.

Also, as I created this thread I take full responsibility for everyone interpretation per my wording. I can absolutely see how this could been taken as passive aggressive but I made sure to mention in my first post/first reply on this thread the officer was very polite. But still, there's absolutely no reason for anyone ESPECIALLY a cop IN MY OPINION to "recommend" me to do anything when I'm completely legal & following the law. I'm very contempt with keeping the mouth closed & opening my ears more when it comes to this type of stuff. However, this isn't even like that. This shit is black & white and should be black & white but for some reason it's very grey. I know from friends that this type of stuff is what keeps people away from going for their LTC and/or going to shoot for fun, believe it or not.

Don't kid yourself that some crew cut cop won't arrest you for a awb violation just bc you have a preban mag. I know if an instance where a cop arrested a constable with an ltc for a u notch glock magazine with no other offense. I don't know how it turned out but I'm sure it wrecked the guy's life for a while as it was intended to.

Don't kid yourself that some crew cut cop won't arrest you for a awb violation just bc you have a preban mag. I know if an instance where a cop arrested a constable with an ltc for a u notch glock magazine with no other offense. I don't know how it turned out but I'm sure it wrecked the guy's life for a while as it was intended to.

Reading stuff like this reply (as I imagine you're being completely honest with your experience direct/indirect) is basically why I most likely will stray away from allowing this to happen again. I guess I'll just keep the mag at home.

Reading stuff like this reply (as I imagine you're being completely honest with your experience direct/indirect) is basically why I most likely will stray away from allowing this to happen again. I guess I'll just keep the mag at home.
The funny thing is that this sort of silliness is far more likely to happen to a Glock shooter vs. someone with any other pistol ('cause Glock=Bad in MA!). No one has ever said BOO to me at any range when I'm there shooting my non-Glock semi-autos. Such a crazy state... Massachusetts! [thinking]

Anyway, I am way too cheap to pay insane money for crappy condition pre-ban Glock magazines. My Glocks only see new 10-round (max) post-bans.

I train with 10 rounders because they’re cheap and I have many more. Most of my training doesn’t require a 15 shot string. That said, I absolutely take my standard capacity magazines to the range frequently to feed my carry ammunition through. Need to make sure they’re still working properly every now and then.

Of course that's why it was said so you would be ever soooo impressed that he was a suburban cop who haz muh training.

And lose you LTC, as carrying an allegedly banned mag will certainly make you unsuitable. The suitability boot hangs over all LTC holders.... except non-res, there is no suitability clause for a non-res LTC.

Non-resident LTCs can be revoked for suitability. See Simkin v. FRB.

Thank you, I was going to say the same thing. If you're getting jammed up for having a pre-ban mag then you've done a LOT more to get the cops' attention! Stop worrying about silly things.

Thank you, I was going to say the same thing. If you're getting jammed up for having a pre-ban mag then you've done a LOT more to get the cops' attention! Stop worrying about silly things.

I've met several cops dickish enough to do precisely that, for no other reason.

In fairness, I know a lot more cops who wouldn't. But then, that kind of inequity is part of the problem.

I've met several cops dickish enough to do precisely that, for no other reason.

There's certainly dicks in the ranks, no argument, but I still say you'd need to be getting their attention for some reason before they're going to do something like this.

And if they are going to do that, they'll probably accuse you of having an 'illegal' Glock too because you know only cops can own them.

I'm sure you do as do I from working with them for 37 years. I'm not suggesting every cop is a power hungry prick who will wreck your life over a legit preban mag, but there are plenty that will without a second thought.
All it takes is one. I've met three.

Non-resident LTCs can be revoked for suitability. See Simkin v. FRB.
Interesting, it also says "Although we conclude that it does, we also conclude that in the absence of regulations further defining unsuitability, no reasonable ground existed to revoke Simkin's license." I would think this should effectively remove the use of unsuitable. But even with the changes in 2014, suitability is still vague and undefined, and judges still cite "broad discretion". Someday, someone with enough money will challenge this, but until then it will be held over everyone who wants a MA LTC.

Many cops do not like constables and in my experience (17 yrs as a cop, 21 yrs as a constable), many constables act in ways that brings out the worst in a cop. The fact that there is no authorized training for constables and frequently no background checks are done prior to appointment adds to the problem. Having walked a mile in each set of shoes, I have a pretty good understanding of the issues.

I'm sure you do as do I from working with them for 37 years. I'm not suggesting every cop is a power hungry prick who will wreck your life over a legit preban mag, but there are plenty that will without a second thought.
All it takes is one. I've met three.
Yes, I've always said that every PD has at least one a**h*** that would jack up his own mother for jaywalking. I've worked with a handful of them over the years.

Was he prosecuted?

He was given the chance to resign or be fired by Saugus. Woburn pursued charges. He went on to be a barber/barbershop owner and the partnership didn't work out. The shop grew in size, moved, and is going great up until WuFlu.
Read more here:

I was shooting my glock 19 gen 3 at the range today with a 15 round magazine. I have my class A LTC and sure enough a cop was shooting right next to me. He was super polite & as I was to him as any human beings should be. However, he mentioned to me that I shouldn't even bother bringing that magazine to the range cause I could catch the wrong jerk cop at the wrong time in the wrong place. ...
What did he say when you responded, "I hear Qualified Immunity is going away"?

What, you didn't ask him that?

Better luck next time.

Len, this is true, but wouldn't those images pass the "reasonable person" test in court?
That value judgement is entirely up to the trial's Trier of Fact.

I was shooting my glock 19 gen 3 at the range today with a 15 round magazine. I have my class A LTC and sure enough a cop was shooting right next to me. He was super polite & as I was to him as any human beings should be. However, he mentioned to me that I shouldn't even bother bringing that magazine to the range cause I could catch the wrong jerk cop at the wrong time in the wrong place. I've done my research & have read my laws. I'm perfectly legal as anyone else should agree. I have a preban magazine & I have my license to carry it. Why should I even have to think twice? I keep reading that people are afraid to bring theirs out in public as well as a cop could basically confiscate it, lock you up, and the entire situation could've been avoidable. I totally respect & understand this style of thinking. But I feel like it's just a far stretch.

Thoughts?
The cop was a nice guy, giving good advice. Why is everyone jumping down his throat? He wasn't threatening any action, just warning a fellow member that some a**h*** might make trouble. You don't want to take his advice, fine. And when the real a**h*** comes along who does not agree you are legal, it will cost you $$$ no matter how legally correct you may be. Don't show it off and nobody will have the opportunity to hassle you. Always think twice.

I was shooting my glock 19 gen 3 at the range today with a 15 round magazine. I have my class A LTC and sure enough a cop was shooting right next to me. He was super polite & as I was to him as any human beings should be. However, he mentioned to me that I shouldn't even bother bringing that magazine to the range cause I could catch the wrong jerk cop at the wrong time in the wrong place. I've done my research & have read my laws. I'm perfectly legal as anyone else should agree. I have a preban magazine & I have my license to carry it. Why should I even have to think twice? I keep reading that people are afraid to bring theirs out in public as well as a cop could basically confiscate it, lock you up, and the entire situation could've been avoidable. I totally respect & understand this style of thinking. But I feel like it's just a far stretch.

Thoughts?
In almost 40 years of shooting I have never had a cop or anyone else comment on any of my guns or any of my magazines. Hi cap, low cap, single shot, whatever. If that actual happened at a range I'd find another range.

Back
Top Bottom