Hi there from the South Shore

Like other newbies, I have been lurking around the forum for a while and reading posts.
Just got my LTC-A with no restrictions and it took 7 weeks. Sent in payment for NES Membership earlier.
Also looking for a range where I can try a firearm prior to purchasing. Thinking about joining a club in the South Shore as well.

A lot of good info on this forum.

Last edited:
Congrats Jorg for getting you LTC-A with no restrictions. 7 weeks, not that bad. I am still waiting for mine, only been two weeks now. Let us know what you decide to purchase.

depending on where you live I can recommend Ames at Easton or Mansfield Fish/Game in Mansfield. Both clubs are good place to shoot. At least i haven't had any trouble with either the club or people in the club.

Welcome to NES.

What are you interested in buying? I'm also in the South Shore area and have a few pieces (ok maybe more than a few) and am always looking for some company and an excuse to shoot more. PM me if you're interested in going out.

Welcome. Glad you went green, more people should join our family, we try to give out the best info about firearms and other stuff. But be warned, there are some grouchy members on here and expect some sarcasm. [laugh]

What guns are you buying first? I'd suggest a 22 rifle or handgun, preferably both. You could be able to afford both for under $500 if you go with Ruger!

depending on where you live I can recommend Ames at Easton or Mansfield Fish/Game in Mansfield. Both clubs are good place to shoot. At least i haven't had any trouble with either the club or people in the club.

Welcome to NES.

Another welcome to NES!

"South Shore" covers a lot of area and there are a lot of good clubs in that area.

Choices should be narrowed down based on what specific things you are looking for in a club (few have skeet for example, a few specialize in the shotgun sports but are scant on other shooting facilities, etc.).

Next is distance, how far do you want to travel to go shooting?

I'm a member at Braintree R&P and Mansfield F&G and would be willing to give you a tour of either/both.

Other good options may be Holbrook Sportsmen's Club, Old Colony (Pembroke), Taunton, Angletree (Attleboro), etc.

Before even thinking about Ames, you should read the thread "Time for a change at Ames" (from memory, I may be off a word or two) carefully!

and anotherCongrats on the LTC-A. Like LenS says " South Shore" covers a lot of area, I am a member of Holbrook and would be happy to show you around some day if your interested.

Jorg,

Welcome to NES; you will be amazed at the information you can receive here. Lots of smart people as well as lots of laughs too.

My son & I joined Hanson Rod & Gun. Good outdoor rifle & pistol ranges as well as indoor pistol too. There's archery and shotgun too! We especially like the easy access in and out with a card key for the gate.....we shoot on our schedule which is could be anytime.

Again, welcome and don't be a stranger to this site!

Rich

Hi all, thanks for the info. Seems like a good idea to purchase a rifle & a hangun at this time. Not sure if
I want to purchase a rifle storage cabinet right now though. $500 for both a rifle & a handgun does sound like
a good price. Maybe just get a handgun at this time. I know some ranges can only accommodate the use of handguns,
and I would prefer one where I use a rifle too.

Welcome. Glad you went green, more people should join our family, we try to give out the best info about firearms and other stuff. But be warned, there are some grouchy members on here and expect some sarcasm. [laugh]

What guns are you buying first? I'd suggest a 22 rifle or handgun, preferably both. You could be able to afford both for under $500 if you go with Ruger!

Any recommendations for a 9mm Ruger?

Jorg,
Welcome to NES and the shooting community. I am also a member of Holbrook. Was a member of Mansfield and with the collapse of the club house almost two years ago it unfortunately has no facilities. Good place to blast away but as to scheduled events there are only a few.
What some folks do is join two clubs. One to just swing by and shoot some rounds down range, Mansfield is great for that. If you want activities that are scheduled I suggest you check out Holbrook. We have a CMP shoot monthly, bowling pin shoots monthly, pistol poppers monthly, (timed shooting at steel targets), junior pistol league, pistol league, rifle league, trap shoots monthly wed night trap shoots and of course NES shoots. Super nice facilities with warm up houses at each range with wood stoves and Direct TV for those days when you want to catch a ball game away from the house. 200 yard rifle range and a plinking range which is 25 yards and an indoor range for 22 rifle and another for large caliber pistol.
We also have a complete archery range complete with a stand type structure and a 3D walk archery range.
We also have a kitchen which is open on Saturdays for breakfast and its a great deal. Family night with a barn fire. I am sure I have missed something but its a great place to become a member.

Back
Top Bottom