• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hi Point C-9 not as bad as I imagined

So my buddy picked up a technically used but unfired Hi Point C-9 9mm pistol for $160. My first question to him was, why on Earth did you do that? He basically wanted a cheap trunk gun. We shot it a few days ago.

My impressions of the C-9.

1. Bad - As ugly as ever, man these are hard to look at.
2. Bad - As heavy as ever, the nickname Boat Anchor is well deserved.
3. Bad - It appeared to be made of relatively cheap materials and fit/finish was not spectacular.
4. Good - Using cheap target ammo it had absolutely no failures of any kind.
5. Good - Decent sights and more than accurate enough for it's intended use.
6. Good - It was extremely comfortable to shoot, meaning felt recoil is lighter than any 9mm I have shot by a wide margin. Not really surprising since cycling it means moving the slide that is reminiscent of a Trident nuclear submarine. If weight is an issue for smaller folks or women then the comfort factor may go down.
7. Good - If I recall Hi Point has a reputation for excellent customer service, a big plus IMHO.

It doesn't seem like it will hold up to thousands of rounds as well as more expensive guns but that's just speculation on my part based on one range trip. My buddy plans to just shoot it enough to make sure it functions, the sights are on, get himself proficient with it and maybe occasionally just to re-check function. Then clean it and put it back in the trunk, hopefully where nobody will see it in order to avoid the ridicule of people knowing he owns it. [smile]

Overall for $160 it's hard to beat for an unfired 9mm pistol unless you find a good used Ruger, S&W, Kahr, etc for that money (possible but not likely). Even brand new the C-9 is only $200.

We are far from gun snobs, we both love SKSs for goodness sake! I kid around about the appearance and stigma of the C-9 but I was surprised at how well it functioned with good accuracy and comfort.

My buddy bought it as an emergency backup gun to get him home if the SHTF while he is someplace he cannot carry, as long as he can get back to his car. For that purpose I think this gun fits the bill pretty darn well for people who don't want to spend $400-$500+ on a gun to sit in the trunk as an emergency backup.

Last edited:
mine took over 1k rounds to break-in. at first the slide-frame fit was tight and slide didn't want to go fully into battery. over time this fixed itself. it only runs on brass ammo which isn't too unusual for a direct blowback design. overall i dig the Hi Point C-9. mostly just for the direct blow-back 9mm which nowadays nobody builds (for good reasons!).

in terms of surviving thousands of rounds, it does. the striker tends to break occasionally. the springs need replacing like every 3k rounds. the mag feed lips tend to go to shit after a while. otherwise the gun will hold up to heavy use. also hi point will send you any replacement parts as needed. they are amazing.

Reminds me of the Hi-Point unboxing video Derek posted a few months back. Based on your post, apparently a longer review is warranted?

Last edited by a moderator:
mine took over 1k rounds to break-in. at first the slide-frame fit was tight and slide didn't want to go fully into battery. over time this fixed itself. it only runs on brass ammo which isn't too unusual for a direct blowback design. overall i dig the Hi Point C-9. mostly just for the direct blow-back 9mm which nowadays nobody builds (for good reasons!).

in terms of surviving thousands of rounds, it does. the striker tends to break occasionally. the springs need replacing like every 3k rounds. the mag feed lips tend to go to shit after a while. otherwise the gun will hold up to heavy use. also hi point will send you any replacement parts as needed. they are amazing.

Edited my post to reflect my lack of long term observations like you have.

Carl,

Your impression about matches mine. Back when I had my FFL in CT, I took a HiPoint in in trade for the princely sum of $65. I thought I'd keep it as a truck gun. Which I did until I took a Ruger SR9 in in trade for $200. Then I sold the hi-point to student for cheap.

The gun ran perfectly. Including on aluminum cased CCI Blazers as well as my square tipped reloads. The trigger was actually better than the stock Ruger SR9 trigger.

I think of it less as a boat anchor and more like a club. I could duct tape it to a stick and make a pretty darned good impact weapon.

Overall, its a fantastic value for someone who either chooses to not spend the money or can not afford a higher quality firearm.

Don

Saw hickok45's video on the C9, can't say he's made me want to go out and get one.
Though I did suggest to a friend who's applying for his LTC and whining about money to get one. [rofl]

If I'm buying one, I would definitely try to get it with the hundred dollar bill finish.

29558-DEFAULT-l.jpg

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/169719

Carl,

Your impression about matches mine. Back when I had my FFL in CT, I took a HiPoint in in trade for the princely sum of $65. I thought I'd keep it as a truck gun. Which I did until I took a Ruger SR9 in in trade for $200. Then I sold the hi-point to student for cheap.

The gun ran perfectly. Including on aluminum cased CCI Blazers as well as my square tipped reloads. The trigger was actually better than the stock Ruger SR9 trigger.

I think of it less as a boat anchor and more like a club. I could duct tape it to a stick and make a pretty darned good impact weapon.

Overall, its a fantastic value for someone who either chooses to not spend the money or can not afford a higher quality firearm.

Don

Yup, I would not hesitate to buy one that was new or close to it for the right price. I did forget to mention the trigger. It was good as you pointed out. Not as good as my Kahr CW9 (like butter) or my Ruger SR45 (very good right out of the box) but the Hi Point trigger was much better than my buddy's Ruger LC9 (he has the older LC9 before they improved the trigger with the LC9s).

- - - Updated - - -

If I'm buying one, I would definitely try to get it with the hundred dollar bill finish.

29558-DEFAULT-l.jpg

http://www.sportsmansoutdoorsuperstore.com/products2.cfm/ID/169719

That's too funny!

I love my c9 for what it is. Its a cheap little spare gun.

What I really want is to find someone in ma who is willing to admit to owning a .40 pistol who wants to get rid of it.

i saw that the goal and mission of hi point was to put a defensive firearm into anyones hand that couldn't afford to buy anything from a major player...smith, glock, ruger, etc..... they seem to have achieved that. they have to cut corners to keep the price down. it isn't pretty or tacti-cool but the ones i've encountered functioned well enough that it was a better alternative to nothing. hi point found their niche as a company and have no goals to compete with ed brown.

Nope.

And really the best thing is that they absolutely, no ifs, ands or butts, stand behind their stuff. There are other cheap pistols that work. But Hi Point provides service that is better than you get with many high end 1911s.

So even if you get a bad one, which there really aren't any more than any other company, they will make it right.

Don

If I could find one of these for under $100 I'd grab it in a heartbeat. The only time I see them is at gun shows, and the sellers always seem to want unreasonable money for them.

Back
Top Bottom