Hi point 9mm carbine

I just picked up a used 995TS at The Gun Parlor in Worcester last week. For $200 how could I pass it up? It didn't come with the sling and sling swivels or a rear sight assembly. Called HP and they sent me out new ones for free. Can't beat that kind of customer service. Now I just need to find time to get to the range and try it out.

Nice! Ya $200 is dirt cheap. Let us know how the range trip goes.

lots of good info being shared in this thread.

my hi point 995TS is one of my favorite guns. it's impossible not to respect it. best bang for the buck, literally.

my mods include the hi point mag holder that attaches to the stock. this is sort of a necessary mod if you intend to move around at all w the rifle. while the stock ghost ring sights are useable, i just don't like ghost ring sights. therefore i removed the rear sight and replaced it with a super cheap tasco RDS. it was easily cowitnessed with the front sight which lends itself to some very quick target acquisition and easy shooting.

personally i feel like a zoom optic (eg 4X) is sort of overkill for a 9mm round. I just don't see the velocity of 9mm supporting >100 yard shooting so for me a red dot is perfect on the hi point carbine. of course i am sure people hit 200+ yard targets with their hi point...that just wouldn't be my application i have better rifles for that. there are some people who put a $200 optic on the hi point but for me that makes no sense because i want to keep things as cheap as possible w this gun!

mine also has a vertical grip, the folding hi point one i think. it's worth the purchase.

one other thing, the LOP on the hi point is quite long. if you are a bigger person it fits great. for me it's a perfect fit. however for my woman the LOP is just way too long so she can't get comfortable shooting it. therefore i usually give her the CX4 storm if she is shooting w me. fits her better. just a consideration if you are small or if a small person will be shooting the hi point.

Last edited:
lots of good info being shared in this thread.

my hi point 995TS is one of my favorite guns. it's impossible not to respect it. best bang for the buck, literally.

my mods include the hi point mag holder that attaches to the stock. this is sort of a necessary mod if you intend to move around at all w the rifle. while the stock ghost ring sights are useable, i just don't like ghost ring sights. therefore i removed the rear sight and replaced it with a super cheap tasco RDS. it was easily cowitnessed with the front sight which lends itself to some very quick target acquisition and easy shooting.

personally i feel like a zoom optic (eg 4X) is sort of overkill for a 9mm round. I just don't see the velocity of 9mm supporting >100 yard shooting so for me a red dot is perfect on the hi point carbine. of course i am sure people hit 200+ yard targets with their hi point...that just wouldn't be my application i have better rifles for that. there are some people who put a $100 optic on the hi point but for me that makes no sense because i want to keep things as cheap as possible w this gun!

mine also has a vertical grip, the folding hi point one i think. it's worth the purchase.

one other thing, the LOP on the hi point is quite long. if you are a bigger person it fits great. for me it's a perfect fit. however for my woman the LOP is just way too long so she can't get comfortable shooting it. therefore i usually give her the CX4 storm if she is shooting w me. fits her better. just a consideration if you are small or if a small person will be shooting the hi point.

Thanks for the info! So it has a long LOP, that's good to hear because I'm tall with longer arms.

Doesn't the hi point have a proprietary rail system for optics? Or is it a standard picatinny/weaver rail?

Thanks for the info! So it has a long LOP, that's good to hear because I'm tall with longer arms.

Doesn't the hi point have a proprietary rail system for optics? Or is it a standard picatinny/weaver rail?

I too have been confused about the rail because i too heard the rail is proprietary.
however i have been able to fit a cheap tasco RDS and my bushness trs25 onto the stock rail w no issues...the underrail is a different story. I could not fit a magpul VG which is why i went w the hi point folding grip. But i can fit my cheap aim sports flashlight onto the underrail. Overall its confusing! I have gone by trial and error which is kinda pathetic haha.

hopefully others can chime in w their experience.

however, wonderful part about the hi point is i feel perfectly fine introducing it to my dremel tool if need be...it aint no Sig or HK

I too have been confused about the rail because i too heard the rail is proprietary.
however i have been able to fit a cheap tasco RDS and my bushness trs25 onto the stock rail w no issues...the underrail is a different story. I could not fit a magpul VG which is why i went w the hi point folding grip. But i can fit my cheap aim sports flashlight onto the underrail. Overall its confusing! I have gone by trial and error which is kinda pathetic haha.

hopefully others can chime in w their experience.

however, wonderful part about the hi point is i feel perfectly fine introducing it to my dremel tool if need be...it aint no Sig or HK

The trigger decent? And I hear the weight is a little much for a 9mm carbine.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of these, especially for $300, or less price point. I had one layed away at one point because I bought it over state lines and had to wait for clearance. While that was being processed I found my Sub2k at my LGS and really wanted the folding capacity and the ability to use preban hi cap mags so I bought that and backed out of the Highpoint deal since I didn't really need 2 9mm carbines at the same time.

The trigger decent? And I hear the weight is a little much for a 9mm carbine.

Dry firing the trigger feels awful. However put a live magazine and hit the range and it feels fine. The gun perplexes me. If you watch Nutnfancys review on the gun he summarizes the trigger perfectly.

it is a little heavy but not terrible. It makes for no recoil. You can literally dump 10 rds into a fist sized group at 30 yards easily.

Dry firing the trigger feels awful. However put a live magazine and hit the range and it feels fine. The gun perplexes me. If you watch Nutnfancys review on the gun he summarizes the trigger perfectly.

it is a little heavy but not terrible. It makes for no recoil. You can literally dump 10 rds into a fist sized group at 30 yards easily.

Interesting. Ya I just watched some of nutnfancy's review video where he talks about the trigger. I think I'll pick one up at some point. Been spending a lot of money on home repairs lately so I'll have to wait a little bit. Thanks for all of the info from everyone.

I kind of want one too. I've had my eye on the Beretta CX4 Storm for a while though. Even though it's slightly overpriced, i like it's ability to use pre-ban Beretta 92 mags.

I kind of want one too. I've had my eye on the Beretta CX4 Storm for a while though. Even though it's slightly overpriced, i like it's ability to use pre-ban Beretta 92 mags.

If I had a Beretta 92, I'd probably just get the CX4. Or if I had a glock 9mm I'd probably get a sub 2000.

If I had a Beretta 92, I'd probably just get the CX4. Or if I had a glock 9mm I'd probably get a sub 2000.

Ha, I actually bought my sub2k because it used preban Beretta 92 mags (in addition to the cool folding feature), and plan to get a pistol to share them at some point.[wink]

I have a hi point--sub-2000 in 40 and a cx4 in 9mm. Id by far go with the storm, they have all been super reliable, but the storm just feels perfect!! The sub 2000 shoots great but feels weird and the hi point is just a fun beast!! No matter what....you cant go wrong!!

The cx4 storm is a thing of beauty. I dont feel its overpriced at all. The quality just feel top notch. A gen 4 glock 19 for $800 is overpriced (in MA). The cx4 is incredibly unique in design and asthestics. It even has a cool little underrail that slides into the stock when not in use. The gun is just pure sexy italian stuff. Hopefully when it gets old it wont turn into a fat pear-shaped mustouche like most italian women i know.

Ha, I actually bought my sub2k because it used preban Beretta 92 mags (in addition to the cool folding feature), and plan to get a pistol to share them at some point.[wink]

Oh that's right, forgot it can use beretta mags as well. Nice.

The cx4 storm is a thing of beauty. I dont feel its overpriced at all. The quality just feel top notch. A gen 4 glock 19 for $800 is overpriced (in MA). The cx4 is incredibly unique in design and asthestics. It even has a cool little underrail that slides into the stock when not in use. The gun is just pure sexy italian stuff. Hopefully when it gets old it wont turn into a fat pear-shaped mustouche like most italian women i know.

You get what you pay for.... Thats for sure!

Yeah I like the storms but I'm not ready to drop $700-$800 on one of those lol. Cool gun though.

I agree. I compared the storm to the highpoint when I was in the market, and while the Beretta was obviously higher quality, I just didn't see the overall "value" in spending over twice the cost of the highpoint for what is essentially just a range toy/plinker. Some may see it differently, but we aren't talking about go to war/shtf rifles here.

I agree. I compared the storm to the highpoint when I was in the market, and while the Beretta was obviously higher quality, I just didn't see the overall "value" in spending over twice the cost of the highpoint for what is essentially just a range toy/plinker. Some may see it differently, but we aren't talking about go to war/shtf rifles here.

I've got both the CX4 and the Hi Point. I actually prefer the Hi Point ergonomics; the CX4 trigger isn't that great, and the Hi Point's trigger isn't bad. The placement of the Beretta iron sights are a little too close to my eye also.

I tried disassembling the Hi Point for cleaning and gave up, it's got some cheap looking sheet metal and rivets, but apparently cleaning is optional anyway :)

Just picked this up yesterday ($315 out the door), can't wait to shoot it. This is the 995RDTS model that comes with a BSA red dot right from Hi Point. Also ordered the magazine holders and 2 extra mags for $40 shipped.

I can definitely see why they're so cheap, the serial number on this is horrible. The FFL asked me to help read the number for her lol. Also the bolt handle is literally just a long screw with a rounded handle that slips over it. The handle isn't tight and rattles around but seems to function fine.

I take it, I don't really need to attempt taking it apart to clean or lube this? From what I've read, they say don't bother but I do like my guns somewhat clean and lubed to prevent any rust.

View attachment 106450View attachment 106451

Last edited:
I would suggest cleaning it once.
If for no other reason than to see why you won't do it often.
When I received mine the barrel was really filthy.

See this thread.

I was going to at least run a brush and patches through the barrel but wasn't sure about anything beyond that. Thanks for the link.

What's not to love about it?

I did try taking mine down to see if I could lighten the trigger, but gave up pretty quickly. The riveted sheet metal parts in the trigger group were kind of scary. But after living with it a while, the trigger is actually pretty good the way it is, really. And it's so much fun to shoot I don't care if it's made of stamped sheet metal.

I guess I'll pig pile on.

If you can get past the looks, they are the deal of the century. Tough, reliable, fun, and backed up by a company who really stands behind their product.

I have a freind who owns a range in CT. He had 2 hipoints in service as rentals for years. After many thousands of rounds they started to get a bit unreliable. So he sent them back with a note requesting that they give him a quote for an overhaul. 2 weeks after he sent them out they came back completely overhauled. No charge.

These were guns in commercial service as rentals.

Don

2 screws up front and the bolt handle will loosen.
remove, degrease and locktite.
have t had any issues since then.

dont let anyone poo poo this gun. For what it is, it does it great.

I bought a 9mm back in September and still haven't had the time to get to the range and shoot the damn thing. Been waiting to build up my inventory of 9mm a bit too. Been dying to get out there and shoot it, hopefully soon!

I like being able to take the bolt bolt out so it doesn't take up as much room or scratch anything else in the safe. The whole assembly (bolt and knurled slide over part will fit right into one of the recesses in the front of the cover of the red dot I put on it for easy storage. I have the .45 and it is a fun shooter. I use a boresnake for cleaning and haven't bothered to look inside it more than that yet as it just has kept working.

I got one through the group buy here. It is pretty good, but looks like it might be hard to clean. I've just cleaned the bore and what I can without taking anything apart. I had one of their proprietary trigger locks which didn't work all that well, so they sent me a new one for free which works how it is supposed to. Accurate, reliable, fun, so what's not to like?

If I had to start all over again, and had the funds, maybe the Beretta CX4 and 92 combo would work, or the Ruger PC9 9mm carbine and decocker pistol would be a nice pairing. I wish Ruger would bring that PC9 back again, or Sig would come out with one.

I got one through the group buy here. It is pretty good, but looks like it might be hard to clean. I've just cleaned the bore and what I can without taking anything apart. I had one of their proprietary trigger locks which didn't work all that well, so they sent me a new one for free which works how it is supposed to. Accurate, reliable, fun, so what's not to like?

If I had to start all over again, and had the funds, maybe the Beretta CX4 and 92 combo would work, or the Ruger PC9 9mm carbine and decocker pistol would be a nice pairing. I wish Ruger would bring that PC9 back again, or Sig would come out with one.

I got a Ruger P89 and would have bought a PC9 if they were more available and cheaper. I wasn't able to get it to he range today, got tied up with yard work and few other things. [angry]

Back
Top Bottom