hi noob question

Im totally green to this and interested in competitions.
.22 if there are any and is a sw22a an acceptable gun? Reason i ask is I found one used for 199$ anyothers in that range that are better?

I'd suggest a bit more research or even better, manage to go out and shoot a little bit with different guns, maybe start with .22 and 9mm to see which you like more. Have you seen action pistol such as IDPA or USPSA. You may soon find out the only solution is to have more than just one gun, as most of us did :)

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

They are good for the short money. Ruger Mk II and Mk III are quite popular as well. I see many of both at the local pin/plate shoots.

Good luck.

I origionally bought a SR22(which i really liked) for my first 22 handgun, but after shooting steel with it a few times, I sold it and got a Ruger 22/45...Best choice for me

.22 if there are any and is a sw22a an acceptable gun? Reason i ask is I found one used for 199$ anyothers in that range that are better?

Yes, SW22A is a good gun for $200. You will most likely enjoy shooting it and the fundamentals are the same with all guns. If you're headed in that direction. Go for it. Good luck.

Last edited:
If you are talking bullseye a lot of the guys I have seen are shooting them. The most popular however seem to be Ruger MK series or S&W 41's. Both will set you back more than $200

Whats the differetnce iN the mk line Up a buddy bought one for $375 used believe mkII
There are several choices, barrel length, finish, barrel type, grip angle etc etc.
There are a lot of options with the Ruger MK series and the pricing goes from reasonable to high end for a 22 pistol.

Your question is not easy to answer. I would recommend you go to teh Ruger site and look around. One thing I will tell you is the standard MK and the 22/45 have a different grip angle.
I have a couple different Rugers, if you were closer I would let you shoot them.

http://ruger.com/products/markIII/index.html
All the information you need is here.
One note is the internals for the most part is the same across all the Ruger models

Whats the differetnce iN the mk line Up a buddy bought one for $375 used believe mkII

Mark II is an older model while Mark III is the current production model, as is the 22/45 series. The biggest difference between the II and III versions is the II has a mag release at the bottom of the mag well, and the III has a thumb button like most handguns today. One other notable difference is the MK III has a magazine safety mechanism (although it can be removed) while the MK II does not.

The 22/45 is basically the Ruger MK III but with a polymer frame and different grip angle. (It also takes different magazines, or at least different magazine floorplates)
There are two main versions of the 22/45, one with removable grip panels and one without. I would recommend the one with removable grip panels, if you decide you want a 22/45 as this will allow you to get different grips for it.

And of course there are various barrel lengths available for each.

Personally, I would recommend a Ruger Mk III (or 22/45 if you actually like the grip angle better) over the S&W 22a. I think the rugers have a lot more parts/upgrades readily available for them (such as: grips, trigger kits) than the 22A. Neither the Rugers or the 22a have a particularly great stock trigger, so you will likely want to upgrade it if you want to shoot bullseye.

I'm definitely biased though, since I've been using a MK III and have been pretty happy with it.

Like somebody mentioned, 4 seasons will let you put the money down and pick up after your LTC gets in. I paid for my first pistol at 4seasons a month or more before my LTC came.

Back
Top Bottom