• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hi Maura, Hi Linskey, thought I'd post up some Defense Contributed for discussion.

I liked the "Come and Take It" picture with the file folder icon. My Google Fu is weak, so I couldn't find it after an exhaustive 20 second search.

As a 3d printer owner I have to say that this whole subject is so way overblown it's not even funny. Printing a gun is not even in the top 20 things I want to do with the printer and there is a lot of ramp-up skills necessary to make effective prints and even more skill to make dimensionally accurate ones. I would someday like to print this little single shot derringer that I found online but here's the thing. Can I print it? Sure it will only take several hundred hours to print out. Probably a dozen or more hours to fit everything as well as you can with such a forgiving material as PLA. But in the end it's just a plastic toy it's not really an actual firearm, it just looks like one. Anyone putting ammo into it (plastic barrel, no rifling, possibility of a squibb load from barrel inaccuracy) would be extremely dangerous. I wouldn't mind making it out of clear plastic so that it's possible to see how it all operates but when it comes to actual firearms I'll stick to the things that I can get from a gun shop. The crazy thing to me is that these files have been on the internet for a long time, it's not like the Dead Sea scrolls or something.

As a 3d printer owner I have to say that this whole subject is so way overblown it's not even funny. Printing a gun is not even in the top 20 things I want to do with the printer and there is a lot of ramp-up skills necessary to make effective prints and even more skill to make dimensionally accurate ones. I would someday like to print this little single shot derringer that I found online but here's the thing. Can I print it? Sure it will only take several hundred hours to print out. Probably a dozen or more hours to fit everything as well as you can with such a forgiving material as PLA. But in the end it's just a plastic toy it's not really an actual firearm, it just looks like one. Anyone putting ammo into it (plastic barrel, no rifling, possibility of a squibb load from barrel inaccuracy) would be extremely dangerous. I wouldn't mind making it out of clear plastic so that it's possible to see how it all operates but when it comes to actual firearms I'll stick to the things that I can get from a gun shop. The crazy thing to me is that these files have been on the internet for a long time, it's not like the Dead Sea scrolls or something.
It's no more crazy than the "assault weapons" witch hunt or the bump stock fear mongering. This is simply yet another way in which the political left is trying to infringe on our rights but it's an especially juicy one because a) it involves not just the 2A but also the 1A in a major way, forcing the antis yet again to oppose freedom of speech, and b) because it's hilarious to watch their desperate flailing around, knowing full well that there's absolutely nothing they can do about files on the internet.

With 3D printed guns it's the idea that is vitally important, more so than the practical application. However, if you want to discuss that side of it, recall that the idea behind the original FP-45 Liberator was to basically allow a partisan one shot to take out a single guard and take that guard's rifle. The DD Liberator could certainly achieve that. Also, the ability to 3D print lowers is huge, imo, even if they aren't the best quality - all the other parts you can get pretty easily already. Lastly, with technology improving as quickly as it has been, how long before we can 3D print aluminum? Maybe we already can, idk, someone more knowledgeable can tell us.

I will agree with you though that this is blown entirely out of proportion. I know several people with 3D printers and none of them have bothered with lowers, just like I know a bunch of people with the tools and know-how to finish an 80% lower and no one has bothered with it.

As a 3d printer owner I have to say that this whole subject is so way overblown it's not even funny......

This is the funniest thing..Just let the tards panic thinking this is all something new and all it takes is a printer and a file to manufacture machine guns that are undetectable by airport scanners !

A cool rumor could be that all is required to turn a standard inkjet printer into a 3D printer is a downloadable file and a few parts from Home Depot.

This Exactly, well put ! [thumbsup]

It’s all just an agenda. Polymer lowers have been around forever. Guns require metal parts. I can go to Home Depot and buy a concrete Ramset gun and shoot a .22 out of it. I can easily make a firearm in my garage out if a steel tube and a hammer. Only the typical uneducated dufus that politicians love would think 3D printing changes anything.

During WW II the British made the Sten a sub machine gun made from parts you can find in almost any hardware store. The 3D printed guns is just another red herring by people that have no clue about how to make a cup of coffee let alone a firearm.

I liked the "Come and Take It" picture with the file folder icon. My Google Fu is weak, so I couldn't find it after an exhaustive 20 second search.

Me too.

I'd love that on a patch and I'm not a patch guy
6SI65Ym.jpg

Back
Top Bottom