• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

HI-Gun law questions raised after four shootings in five days

mikeyp

NES Member
Hawaii "We have very tough gun laws"

shootings happen

"Look, here's proof that people who don't follow laws will still do bad things"

Hawaii "We clearly need more laws"

Gun law questions raised after four shootings in five days

Hawaii has some of the strictest gun laws in the country, but following four shootings in five days some are wondering if the laws need to be tougher.

Compared to the rest of the country, Hawaii ranks low when it comes to gun violence.

“Four shootings probably aren’t statistically significant in terms of watching a change in attitude but one of the things that have protected us from gun violence in the past is that we don’t just reach for a gun every time we have beef with someone,” said Sen. Karl Rhoads (D) Dowsett Highlands, Chinatown, Downtown.

“I’m hoping it’s not the sign of a change in attitude,” he said.

Current laws in Hawaii include having to register a gun, not being able to own a gun if you’ve had a felony, or if you have psychiatric problems.

“Having good gun laws is only part of the equation the other two parts are that we don’t share a border with a state that has bad gun laws; and the other thing is that our attitude has never been to just start shooting, maybe you punch the guy in the nose, but you don’t shoot him,” Sen. Rhoads said.

“That’s the thing that kind of worries me about four shootings in five days is maybe that attitude is starting to change and that would be a bad thing,” he said.

Sen. Rhoads said for the most part gun owners in Hawaii use their weapons legally.

“There’s very little gun violence so I’m not sure if anything major needs to change there might be some tweaks but that would be about it,” he said.

Statistic experts agree that guns aren’t the weapon of choice in Hawaii.

“For violent crimes in general, about 10% of our violent crimes [involve a firearm], and about 30% of our homicides, and those numbers are much lower than the national averages,” said Paul Perrone, Chief of Research and Statistics Hawaii Attorney General.

He said having four shootings in almost as many days is quite unusual.

“That’s a little unusual for us, firearms are one of the least likely weapons to be used in violent crimes or murders,” he said.

He said people in Hawaii tend to use their bare hands or cutting instruments and it’s usually not a random act.

“Most violent crimes, murders, in particular, happen between acquaintances people who know one another sometimes very well sometimes not so well but there’s some kind of connection we don’t see a lot of the random street crime,” Perrone said.

Sen. Rhoads said he might revisit operating or possessing a firearm while using drugs or alcohol to the Legislature in January.

“Unfortunately, when you’re judgment is bad, it’s like driving a car, it’s a really bad idea and you don’t have the same judgments, your judgment’s not as good and if you have a gun you can make a bad judgment and it can have really horrible consequences,” said Sen. Rhoads.

If your only tool is a hammer. . . . . . .

"Dammit. This screw won't come out."

"Let me hit it again with the hammer. It's bound to come out."

If your only tool is a hammer. . . . . . .

"Dammit. This screw won't come out."

"Let me hit it again with the hammer. It's bound to come out."

But this shows you how stupid they are

“That’s a little unusual for us, firearms are one of the least likely weapons to be used in violent crimes or murders,” he said.

He said people in Hawaii tend to use their bare hands or cutting instruments and it’s usually not a random act.

As we(preaching to the choir here) know, bad people will find a way to do bad shit

Anyone else remember that early episode of Hawaii Five-0
where McGarrett & co. are on the run and need guns?
They go to Kamekona.
"No problem, bruh"
Opens a shipping container back in the jungle.
He's got the entire arsenal from the Matrix.
It looks like the wrong basement rec. room.

Ugh. Tell that to my cousin who was gunned down outside of a bar in Honolulu last year by some gangbanger thug from Chicago or some shithole like it. Stricter gun laws wouldn't have spared his life... Retards.

Maybe some folks from Chicago are going there for the winter? Jack.

Tell that to my cousin who was gunned down outside of a bar in Honolulu last year by some gangbanger thug from Chicago....
something they don't tell you on the news, bangers taking hawaiian vacations. a day at hampton beach was the best i could do.

Back
Top Bottom