• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

hi cap question

headednorth

NES Member
I have a quick question regarding high-cap mags. I got my LTC-A the other day. So, if I understand correctly, I can purchase a handgun with a magazine capacity greater than 10 rounds only if the mag was made prior to sept'94. Is that correct?

If I were to buy a new M&P 9, it would come with a 10 round mag and I couldnt buy a 15 round mag because none were in existence before 9/94. If I were to buy a used Glock 17 that was made before 9/94, I could have high cap mags that came with it originally, but if I wanted to buy additional mags, they would have to be pre-ban.

So pretty much my only option for carrying a high capacity handgun is to buy one used which was made before 9/94, or buying a new gun in a model which was in production prior to 9/94 and then looking for mags which were made before 9/94. ( This is retarded...) I cant just go out and buy a new 15 round gun. (or mag)

Im just kind of realizing that the model of gun has a lot to do with your options for capacity, in this state at least. Newer model=10 round limit. Is my understanding of the law correct?

With regard to the mags it's the date the mags were manufactured. You can use a brand new gun with a pre-ban mag and it's good to go.

I think you've got it right. I went through the same thought process earlier this year when I got my LTC. I have a couple Berettas which came with 10-round mags but I found some hi cap mags for them (15 rounds).

I think you've got it right. I went through the same thought process earlier this year when I got my LTC. I have a couple Berettas which came with 10-round mags but I found some hi cap mags for them (15 rounds).

Have you ever had an LEO interaction with pre-ban mags or do you know anyone who has? I've always wondered how that might go.......

You've got it correct, though in many words. A pre-ban mag is a pre-ban mag. I think modifying a pre ban mag to work in a different gun disqualifies pre ban status. Example, modify a pre ban Berreta mag to work in a Walter. There might be a thread floating around regarding this, please double check that statement.

You've got it correct, though in many words. A pre-ban mag is a pre-ban mag. I think modifying a pre ban mag to work in a different gun disqualifies pre ban status. Example, modify a pre ban Berreta mag to work in a Walter. There might be a thread floating around regarding this, please double check that statement.

Yeah, I was kind of writing a book back there. So the bottom line is, regardless of anything else, the mag needs to be pre-ban. Is that all there is to it?

Yeah, I was kind of writing a book back there. So the bottom line is, regardless of anything else, the mag needs to be pre-ban. Is that all there is to it?
Yep. And no, I've never had any interaction with an LEO regarding capacity so I can't comment on that.

The pre ban mag can be altered to fit another gun legally provided the mag still functions in the gun it was originally designed for.

Enjoy it while you can. Why do you think Obama stands a good chance of carrying NH? Because of all the MA residents who've moved there in the last decade......

Certainly true to some extent. IMO, there are a lot of people in MA who dont like how things are but dont understand how things got to be that way.Then they move to NH and without realizing it, begin to support a lot of the same policies and ideas that ruined their home state. A lot has to do with media influence and indoctrination in the schools also. Talk to your kids!

I have a quick question regarding high-cap mags. I got my LTC-A the other day. So, if I understand correctly, I can purchase a handgun with a magazine capacity greater than 10 rounds only if the mag was made prior to sept'94. Is that correct?

If I were to buy a new M&P 9, it would come with a 10 round mag and I couldnt buy a 15 round mag because none were in existence before 9/94. If I were to buy a used Glock 17 that was made before 9/94, I could have high cap mags that came with it originally, but if I wanted to buy additional mags, they would have to be pre-ban.

So pretty much my only option for carrying a high capacity handgun is to buy one used which was made before 9/94, or buying a new gun in a model which was in production prior to 9/94 and then looking for mags which were made before 9/94. ( This is retarded...) I cant just go out and buy a new 15 round gun. (or mag)

Im just kind of realizing that the model of gun has a lot to do with your options for capacity, in this state at least. Newer model=10 round limit. Is my understanding of the law correct?

There is much FAIL here. When the gun was manufactured has nothing to do with what mags you can use with it. NOTHING! Buy a brand new G17 and slap 17 round pre-bans in it, NO PROBLEM! Buy a Post ban AR-15 and slap pre-ban 30 USGI mags, NO PROBLEM!. Buy Saiga 7.62x39 Sportster and slap Bulgarian pre-ban 30 rounders in, NO PROBLEM! When the gun was manufactured is irrelevant. What is relevant is when the mag was manufactured. If it's pre 9/94 put it in anything it will fit in.

Have you ever had an LEO interaction with pre-ban mags or do you know anyone who has? I've always wondered how that might go.......

Not with pre-ban, but when I was working housing security in Springfield, I carried a P229 with 10 round mags. If you looked at the baseplate of the mag that was in the gun while it was holstered, you could clearly see it was a 10 round because it looked almost hollow (the regular Sig mags, not the MecGar). I had a Springfield cop ask if they were 10-round mags and ask why I didn't just buy some regular ones. I told him pre-bans were expensive and hard to find. He told me to go to CT and buy regular ones. I told him that was illegal. He said no one cares and it's a stupid law.

I've also had extremely anti-gun interactions with SPD, so it could go any number of ways depending on the particular cop you're interacting with at the time.

Back
Top Bottom