• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

hi cap mags, ccw

now that Im re-embracing polymers, I again have high capacity options. question for you out there with glocks, sigs etc - do you carry the high caps or do you stick with the 10 round mags - a friend of mine said that I should keep the hi caps because they go up in value.

the more rounds the better I saw for CCW. My daily carry is 7+1 so I carry extra mags. I have a preban 92FS with 15 round mags, I would like to carry that but don't have a good holster for it yet.

Unless prohibited my some moonbat fool hardiness (Like Boston No Hi-Caps) I always carry 15 rounders in my Glock 19.

stinx:2388925 said:
Unless prohibited my some moonbat fool hardiness (Like Boston No Hi-Caps) I always carry 15 rounders in my Glock 19.

Boston doesn't allow the ccw of hi-caps? Do you mind posting that reference? I have never heard that before. Thanks.

If you press CTRL+F4 and type in high capacity it will bring you to it automatically.

(4) "Large capacity magazine", a box, drum, or other container which holds more than ten rounds of ammunition to be fed continuously into a semi-automatic rifle or shotgun or a magazine which can be readily converted into a large capacity magazine.

Additional Provisions for Boston
In Boston under a vague law it is unlawful to possess, display, transfer, or receive, without a license granted by the Boston Police Commissioner:
  • Any shotgun with a revolving cylinder and/or a capacity exceeding six rounds.
  • A semiautomatic rifle with a fixed magazine capacity exceeding 10 rounds.
  • Any SKS, AK47, UZI, AR-15, Steyr AUG, FN-FAL, and FN-FNC rifle.
  • Any semiautomatic pistol which is a modification of a proscribed rifle or shotgun with a shorter barrel or no stock, and any magazine or belt which holds more than 10 rounds.

An "assault weapons roster board" may add additional firearms to the list of so-called "assault weapons."
Such firearms must have been registered with the Boston Police Commissioner within 90 days of the effective date of the law (12/9/89), or they are unlawful.

An owner of a firearm added to the roster of assault weapons must obtain a license to possess it within 90 days of its addition, or it becomes unlawful.

The provision does not apply to possession by non-residents of Boston at a sporting or shooting club by persons who possess the requisite state license to carry.

It also does not apply to persons taking part in competition or at a collectors’ exhibit or meeting or traveling to or from such event or while in transit through Boston for the purpose of hunting by licensed hunter, provided that in all cases the "assault weapon" is unloaded and packaged and the person has a Massachusetts FID card or has a license or permit to carry or possess firearms issued by another state.

Last edited:
After doing everything possible to get out of a bad situation, I have five rounds of full house 357 in my little J-Frame as an absolute last resort. No extra ammo speed loaders, no hi-caps, no second gun.

now that Im re-embracing polymers, I again have high capacity options. question for you out there with glocks, sigs etc - do you carry the high caps or do you stick with the 10 round mags

I think you mean to say "standard capacity" magazines. Yes, I would carry the standard capacity magazines. If you are carrying a gun for self-defense, I wouldn't worry about the value of the magazine so much as its ability to perform adequately. This would mean carrying standard capacity magazines, regardless of their appreciation, and leaving the low-capacity 10 rounders for range use.

17+1 in a G17 and one 17 round in the spare mag holder another 17 round mag in the car safe with two 20 round boxes of ammo and 5 paintball battlefield smoke grenades from Sport Smoke in the same safe. I have to escape the Mission Hill area when the riots start! [laugh]

Carrying Pre-ban hi-caps (handgun) are fine for anyone with a LTC-A (unrestricted) in Boston.

ONLY Residents (from what I've been told) can't possess any AWs or hi-cap mags for rifles/shotguns in Boston. "Pre-ban" does NOT exist for Boston Residents! It's an absolute ban for them.

More detailed info on this at my MA gun laws seminar.

Carrying Pre-ban hi-caps (handgun) are fine for anyone with a LTC-A (unrestricted) in Boston.

ONLY Residents (from what I've been told) can't possess any AWs or hi-cap mags for rifles/shotguns in Boston. "Pre-ban" does NOT exist for Boston Residents! It's an absolute ban for them.

More detailed info on this at my MA gun laws seminar.

Same as what I've been told. As long as you don't reside there you are OK.

I never go to Boston for the most part but I do pass through it on occasion, only going to someplace else though. I spend as little time as possible there. And I don't spend ANY money there. I don't even like driving through it. On the "cities that suck", Boston is like #4. Only NYC, Philly and Chicago beat it on suckiness. I totally discount all of Cali because the whole STATE sucks.

It's a real shame that as a non-resident of Boston I can carry a 17 round magazine and as a resident you can't even own one. Why don't you guys fire "Mumbles"? He's a dick! Get active and fire that d'bag.

Back
Top Bottom