• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hi cap mags and LEOs

I know that there have been posts on this in the past, but I really suck at searching for anything with more than one term.

What is the law for post ban hi caps issued to LEOs after the LEO retires from service? Can they be kept or are they considered to be a banned item?

Last edited:
Exemption is for active duty LEOs only if I'm not mistaken.

Thanks vellnueve. I thought that was the case, but I'm going to do some additional searching. Mostly because the LEO mags I have are "drop free" instead of "yank out" in my Glock. I still have several months.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws

Imagine the civil disorder that would arise if we did not have special classes of citizens to keep the rest of us in line.

All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws

Imagine the civil disorder that would arise if we did not have special classes of citizens to keep the rest of us in line.

Thank you, and though your post is technically correct, it will sheild neither you nor I from the consequences of breaking the law within the Commonwealth.

I hate this "retired LEO" crap...

PART I. ADMINISTRATION OF THE GOVERNMENT

TITLE XX. PUBLIC SAFETY AND GOOD ORDER

CHAPTER 140. LICENSES

EMPLOYMENT AGENCIES

SALE OF FIREARMS

Chapter 140: Section 131M. Assault weapon or large capacity feeding device not lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994; sale, transfer or possession; punishment

Section 131M. No person shall sell, offer for sale, transfer or possess an assault weapon or a large capacity feeding device that was not otherwise lawfully possessed on September 13, 1994. Whoever not being licensed under the provisions of section 122 violates the provisions of this section shall be punished, for a first offense, by a fine of not less than $1,000 nor more than $10,000 or by imprisonment for not less than one year nor more than ten years, or by both such fine and imprisonment, and for a second offense, by a fine of not less than $5,000 nor more than $15,000 or by imprisonment for not less than five years nor more than 15 years, or by both such fine and imprisonment.

The provisions of this section shall not apply to: (i) the possession by a law enforcement officer for purposes of law enforcement; or (ii) the possession by an individual who is retired from service with a law enforcement agency and is not otherwise prohibited from receiving such a weapon or feeding device from such agency upon retirement.

http://www.mass.gov/legis/laws/mgl/140-131m.htm

The same exemption applied when the 94 federal ban was in effect.
The BATF even issued guidelines explaining how it was to be conducted.

I guess the next question should be is "how does this work in reality"? Are there any cases where the CLEO/agency has refused
to allow a retired officer to retain "hi-cap" mags" or pre-ban configured "assault rifles"?

Wow, I was wrong.

I'd doubt that any PD would give it a second thought. I doubt that some PDs would even know that their mags are legally different.

Back
Top Bottom