• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Hi-Cap Magazine Laws

Edin,

My understanding (I did not contact Bushmaster this is just word of mouth) is that with the sunset of the AWB, Bushmaster is now able to sell the M4 in other states with the collapsible stock and a flash hider. The model shipped to Ma are going to have to be special made for Ma. It does not make much sense for them to make a model just for us thus easier to just not sell it in Ma. Thanks AG Riley you a**h***.

Edin,

My understanding (I did not contact Bushmaster this is just word of mouth) is that with the sunset of the AWB, Bushmaster is now able to sell the M4 in other states with the collapsible stock and a flash hider. The model shipped to Ma are going to have to be special made for Ma. It does not make much sense for them to make a model just for us thus easier to just not sell it in Ma. Thanks AG Riley you a**h***.

Edin,

hminsky said:
I'm so confused ... does that mean it's new but was manufactured before the ban date listed in the MA regulations?? Or are there specific features it has which make it exempt from that ban?

In MA you can't have a bayo lug,flash hider or collapsible stock on a rifle produced after 1994.The post ban(MA legal) M4 clones you can get from Bushmaster don't have any of these features.Therefore,legal to own in MA.

Hope this helps.

hminsky said:
I'm so confused ... does that mean it's new but was manufactured before the ban date listed in the MA regulations?? Or are there specific features it has which make it exempt from that ban?

In MA you can't have a bayo lug,flash hider or collapsible stock on a rifle produced after 1994.The post ban(MA legal) M4 clones you can get from Bushmaster don't have any of these features.Therefore,legal to own in MA.

Hope this helps.

hminsky said:

Hope this helps.

It means that it is in "post-ban" configuration. That is, it does not have an evil bayonet lug or evil flash suppressor.

The original federal assault weapon ban had a sunset provision that has expired. However, the language from that bill was put into MA state law, so it is still in effect in MA.

The federal law banned several guns by name and also by feature. That is, a gun could not have more than one evil features, IIRC. Evil features were: pistol grip, flash suppressor, bayonet lug, collapsible stock. However, the ban grandfathered guns made prior to the date when the ban went into effect.

Therefore, guns made prior to the ban that had 2 or more features were still legal. These are referred to as "pre-ban" guns.

The manufacturers then started producing guns in "post-ban" configuration. For an AR-15, these guns had a fixed stock, a muzzle break instead of a flash suppressor, and no bayonet lug. The only "evil" feature was the pistol grip, so it was legal.

Last year the federal ban sunseted, so new production guns in "pre-ban" configuration are now legal in most states, but not MA. Let's call these "no-ban" guns.

Here in MA, you can legally own "pre-ban" guns. You can legally own "post-ban" guns. You cannot legally own "no-ban" guns.

Clear as mud?

It means that it is in "post-ban" configuration. That is, it does not have an evil bayonet lug or evil flash suppressor.

The original federal assault weapon ban had a sunset provision that has expired. However, the language from that bill was put into MA state law, so it is still in effect in MA.

The federal law banned several guns by name and also by feature. That is, a gun could not have more than one evil features, IIRC. Evil features were: pistol grip, flash suppressor, bayonet lug, collapsible stock. However, the ban grandfathered guns made prior to the date when the ban went into effect.

Therefore, guns made prior to the ban that had 2 or more features were still legal. These are referred to as "pre-ban" guns.

The manufacturers then started producing guns in "post-ban" configuration. For an AR-15, these guns had a fixed stock, a muzzle break instead of a flash suppressor, and no bayonet lug. The only "evil" feature was the pistol grip, so it was legal.

Last year the federal ban sunseted, so new production guns in "pre-ban" configuration are now legal in most states, but not MA. Let's call these "no-ban" guns.

Here in MA, you can legally own "pre-ban" guns. You can legally own "post-ban" guns. You cannot legally own "no-ban" guns.

Clear as mud?

Clear as mud?

derek said:
C-pher said:
derek said:
If they were made past the magic date then no.

If what was made past the magic date? The pistol or the mag?

The mags Chris. If they are newer than the grandfather date then they are illegal in this state.

Ok, sorry that I wasn't around.

But back to what I was asking.

The mags are pre-ban. They were made before the ban went into effect.

This gun was made not too long ago, but it's sold with 10 round magazines, but not really the gun the preban magazines were made for, but only by the the model of the gun. It's really the same gun as the preban, just has a different name.

If I want to pick up preban magazines that will fit, someone told me that I could never use them in that gun as technically the gun was never made as a standard capacity pistol.

Here's the deal, Para now makes a gun called the Tec-Four. It's pretty much a LDA P-13. But it's sold as a 10+1 pistol. But, the preban P-13 magazines will fit in them. I have them as I already own a P-13.

Someone said that if I use my P-13 magazines in the Tac-Four it would be illegal as the pistol wasn't made for standard capacity magazines.

Does this make sense?

derek said:
C-pher said:
derek said:

The mags Chris. If they are newer than the grandfather date then they are illegal in this state.

This gun was made not too long ago, but it's sold with 10 round magazines, but not really the gun the preban magazines were made for, but only by the the model of the gun. It's really the same gun as the preban, just has a different name.

If I want to pick up preban magazines that will fit, someone told me that I could never use them in that gun as technically the gun was never made as a standard capacity pistol.

Here's the deal, Para now makes a gun called the Tec-Four. It's pretty much a LDA P-13. But it's sold as a 10+1 pistol. But, the preban P-13 magazines will fit in them. I have them as I already own a P-13.

Someone said that if I use my P-13 magazines in the Tac-Four it would be illegal as the pistol wasn't made for standard capacity magazines.

Does this make sense?

derek said:
C-pher said:
derek said:

Does this make sense?

One more evil feature to add - grenade launcher!

So, again, an "assault rifle" is a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of—

(i) a folding or telescoping stock;

(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) a bayonet mount;

(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(v) a grenade launcher

Examples:

- My SAR-1 (AK-47 clone) has a pistol grip, but a solid stock, plain muzzle, no lug, and no grenade launcher - therefore LEGAL!

- My M1A has a flash suppressor, but no pistol grip, a solid stock, no lug, and no grenade launcher - therefore LEGAL!

- My M-1 Carbine has a bayonet lug, but no other evil feature - and it was made well before 1994 - therefore LEGAL!

Now, that being said, if I grab the SAR-1, have the barrel threaded and add a flash suppressor - now I'm in trouble.

Here's a link to the U.S. Code that this is based on:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000921----000-.html

Check out paragraph (30) B

KK

So, again, an "assault rifle" is a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of—

(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;

(iii) a bayonet mount;

(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and

(v) a grenade launcher

Examples:

- My SAR-1 (AK-47 clone) has a pistol grip, but a solid stock, plain muzzle, no lug, and no grenade launcher - therefore LEGAL!

- My M1A has a flash suppressor, but no pistol grip, a solid stock, no lug, and no grenade launcher - therefore LEGAL!

- My M-1 Carbine has a bayonet lug, but no other evil feature - and it was made well before 1994 - therefore LEGAL!

Now, that being said, if I grab the SAR-1, have the barrel threaded and add a flash suppressor - now I'm in trouble.

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/html/uscode18/usc_sec_18_00000921----000-.html

KK

(iii) a bayonet mount;

(v) a grenade launcher

Examples:

KK

[MA-specific legal BS to follow:]

C-pher,

Please read what I posted last night. It should answer your question.

To all:

A little Searching here will go a long way. We've posted the pre-ban/post-ban/no-ban info so many times in the past year. Please read what's already been stated (often with citations to the law) as background and if you still have questions ask away.

Hint:

Hi-cap Mags are a separate issue from guns!

- Gun must be legal to possess (LTC-A for pistol/LTC-B for long guns).

- All hi-cap mags MUST be made pre-9/13/94 to legally possess in MA.

- You can mix and match any legally possessed guns with mags as long as you possess the right license.

C-pher,

To all:

A little Searching here will go a long way. We've posted the pre-ban/post-ban/no-ban info so many times in the past year. Please read what's already been stated (often with citations to the law) as background and if you still have questions ask away.

Hint:

- You can mix and match any legally possessed guns with mags as long as you possess the right license.

C-pher,

To all:

Hint:

C-pher said:

Somehow I doubt that "somebody" ever played a lawyer on TV or stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night. A 1911 was never made to take more than a 7-8 round magazine, but so what? There are 30 round magazinees made for them that fit the gun. I've got a Ruger Mini-14 that was made for and sold with a 5 round magazine. Everybody and his mother knows that there are 10, 20, 30 round and larger magazines readily available for it. Since it was originally made and sold with low-cap magazines it isn't per se a "large capacity" firearm and only requires an FID (or an LTC-B for the 1911, your Para or other handguns). Once you insert a magazine that exceed the arbitrary capacity limit, then Massachusetts requires at least an LTC-B (or LTC-A for handguns).

Ken

C-pher said:

Somehow I doubt that "somebody" ever played a lawyer on TV or stayed in a Holiday Inn Express last night. A 1911 was never made to take more than a 7-8 round magazine, but so what? There are 30 round magazinees made for them that fit the gun. I've got a Ruger Mini-14 that was made for and sold with a 5 round magazine. Everybody and his mother knows that there are 10, 20, 30 round and larger magazines readily available for it. Since it was originally made and sold with low-cap magazines it isn't per se a "large capacity" firearm and only requires an FID (or an LTC-B for the 1911, your Para or other handguns). Once you insert a magazine that exceed the arbitrary capacity limit, then Massachusetts requires at least an LTC-B (or LTC-A for handguns).

Ken

C-pher said:

Ken

KMaurer said:
C-pher said:

Ken

That's what I thought, but he wanted to argue with me. The main confusion was that I wouldn't be able to carry it if it was sold as a restricted gun...or 10+1 as they sell two models. One for MA that's 10+1 and one for the rest of the world as 13+1. The only difference is the model number, the MA model number ends in R for restricted.

KMaurer said:
C-pher said:

Ken

That's what I thought, but he wanted to argue with me. The main confusion was that I wouldn't be able to carry it if it was sold as a restricted gun...or 10+1 as they sell two models. One for MA that's 10+1 and one for the rest of the world as 13+1. The only difference is the model number, the MA model number ends in R for restricted.

KMaurer said:
C-pher said:

Ken

Back
Top Bottom