• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

HI-Cap in MA

So as a point, assuming a MA LTC-A large cap, if you have pre-ban 30 round mags, and a post ban AR, you CAN'T legally use the old mags in the new rifle?

You're combining two parts of the AWB that really have nothing to do with each other. I believe this is the part you are getting tripped up on:

-The Rifle/Shotgun/Pistol was an "Assault Weapon" or in the case of a magazine holding more than 10 rounds, a "Large Capacity feeding device" manufactured on or before 9/13/94. Note: In order to qualify for this exemption, the device must have existed "in AW configuration" the date the law was enacted. This caveat, of course, is rarely proveable one way or the other.

Essentially they are saying you can have an "Assault Weapon" if it was manufactured prior to 9/13/94 or if it is referring to a large capacity feeding device it also needs to have been manufactured prior to 9/13/94. You can use preban magazines in a pre or post ban rifle.

You're combining two parts of the AWB that really have nothing to do with each other. I believe this is the part you are getting tripped up on:

Essentially they are saying you can have an "Assault Weapon" if it was manufactured prior to 9/13/94 or if it is referring to a large capacity feeding device it also needs to have been manufactured prior to 9/13/94. You can use preban magazines in a pre or post ban rifle.

Thank you for clarifying, good news. I'll keep my 1982 USGI AR mags for my 2013 M&P here.

OP, sorry for the thread hijack!

One last point. If you own property outside of MA...like in NH, can you legally keep high cap mags THERE where they're legal, even as a MA resident, never to be seen in the commiewealth?

Thank you for clarifying, good news. I'll keep my 1982 USGI AR mags for my 2013 M&P here.

OP, sorry for the thread hijack!

One last point. If you own property outside of MA...like in NH, can you legally keep high cap mags THERE where they're legal, even as a MA resident, never to be seen in the commiewealth?

I believe you are fine as long as you don't POSESS them in Mass.

Yes, as much as MA would like to control your every breath no matter where you are, what you possess in another state is none of their f'n business and there is nothing that they can do about it! Keep them in NH and you are GTG!

Can you use the upper from a pre ban AR on a post ban lower?

No, you would be "creating" an illegal AW and subject to a felony charge. [This assumes that the pre-ban upper has the standard "evil features" of a bayonet lug and an unpinned flash hider.]

Last edited:
How about this: I am having trouble finding 10/22 magazines in 10 round only (MA legal). Can I purchase a 25 round magazine and have it modified to only take 10 rounds? A) is it legal B) can it be done ?

Just did a quick scan on this thread, what if the magazine has no date at all? Does that mean its preban and legal in mass? Thanks

Welcome to NES!

Just did a quick scan on this thread, what if the magazine has no date at all? Does that mean its preban and legal in mass? Thanks

Not necessarily.

Example: Unmarked, but manufacturer wasn't in business prior to 9/13/94.

Back
Top Bottom