• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

HI-Cap in MA

As long as they are pre-ban yes you may.

You cannot have brand new P-Mags because those are not pre-ban as an example.

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ws/157704-ma-assault-weapons-ban-awb-faq.html
How the AWB applies to Magazines (eg, so called "Large Capacity Feeding Devices" under MGL):

The federal ban stipulated a ban on "Large Capacity Feeding Devices", and this is the MGL version:

“Large capacity feeding device”, (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term “large capacity feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

What this means in english is that within the borders of MA, you cannot legally own/possess a magazine that meets the description above (unless the magazine was made on or before 9/13/94). You're probably wondering what an attached tubular device is"- think feeding tube on a tube fed .22 LR rifle like a Marlin or some of the old Winchesters. This carve out was stuck in the law to keep the fudds from getting upset when it got passed.

It should also be noted that the MA version of this law does not include the extra definition in Federal Law (reference to be added later) that used to define a standard of evidence for what constituted a "Large Capacity Feeding Device". Therefore, the means of prosecution with regards to magazines is not laid out in state law like it used to be on the Federal side. This means that how someone would be prosecuted for violating the mag ban is anyone's guess. Federal law rather FIRMLY put the burden of proof on the part of the state, even going so far as to stipulate that an unmarked mag that was claimed to be preban was to be taken at face value. This is not the case under MGL and enforcement is very unclear.

Exemptions: (This is important!)

The MA AWB does not apply in the following scenarios:

-The Rifle/Shotgun/Pistol was an "Assault Weapon" or in the case of a magazine holding more than 10 rounds, a "Large Capacity feeding device" manufactured on or before 9/13/94. Note: In order to qualify for this exemption, the device must have existed "in AW configuration" the date the law was enacted. This caveat, of course, is rarely proveable one way or the other.

-The device in question is possessed by an MA FFL or a LEO (for use in performance of their duties)

Note: This exemption is "murky" at best. The "commonly accepted" interpretation is the dealers are AWB exempt because they supposedly are able to sell AWs and the like to Law Enforcement, and the LE exemption is doubly murky, depending on who you talk to.

-The device in question is possessed by someone in US Military service under orders, or someone employed in a Federal law enforcement job as issued duty gear- issued gear is immune due to an overriding federal law more than likely. The protections ascribed to here likely do not apply beyond the scope of whatever the job you have is or whatever gear
you are issued.

-The device in question is not an "assault weapon" as described above or a large capacity feeding device. EG, a 10 round cripple mag is obviously not covered/governed by the AWB.

If you have a Class A Hi-Cap license in MA can you own 30 Rd AR mags?

I would think that you do have a LTC-A or LTC-B if you are asking this question,which means you had to take a saftey course to obtain that licence. This is something that should have been covered in you class.

I would think that you do have a LTC-A or LTC-B if you are asking this question,which means you had to take a saftey course to obtain that licence. This is something that should have been covered in you class.

The guy is looking for help not smart a** comments douche, for everyone else thanks for the info.

i don't get some people on here especially if we're posting in this section its because we're looking for help, this is why we joined this site.

The guy is looking for help not smart a** comments douche, for everyone else thanks for the info.

You don't know HOW bad I wanted to say the same thing, but passed because I'm new too, next time I'll speak up

WTF is wrong with you two. Nothing he said was incorrect, if he has taken a course and this info was not relayed to him, he had a pretty shitty instructor.

Furthermore, If the OP is looking for help, he need not look further than the sticky's at the top of this sub forum for his answer. I linked to them because I was in a generous mood. But, he should, as many do, be able to locate himself without starting a thread with a topic that has been gone over 6 million times.

You dudes need to chill the eff out.

Last edited:
You dudes need to chill the eff out.

I had no hair across my ass. I was completely chilled however, I think it's just as much effort to give the guy a short correct answer, than to post, Find it, or why didnt you do this or that. being behind a keyboard, not F2F doesnt preclude civility. I'm sure he was thankful for your generous mood.

If you think while you are reading you can see it was not a smart ass remark,but a factual statement about info that he should have already had . Did you not get that info when you took your safety class?

New members here get treated like crap by some of you. If you don't want to answer the question then don't. Everyone was new at some point.

And to Zbomb, my class many years ago never taught that. All of my MA specific knowledge came from here and helpful people that answered questions instead of giving elitist remarks.

You can have whatever you want so long as you keep it out of Marsha's prying eyes. Want to keep a 10 pack of P-Mags in the safe for SHTF and use some beat up pre-bans at the range - go for it. Its what almost everyone here does anyway - although no one would admit it. Just understand that it's a felony. So if you ever have even the slightest reason to think someone would be in the safe other than you - bury them in the yard when no one is looking instead.

And to Zbomb, my class many years ago never taught that. All of my MA specific knowledge came from here and helpful people that answered questions instead of giving elitist remarks.

Answer the question, you mean like this :

http://www.northeastshooters.com/vb...ws/157704-ma-assault-weapons-ban-awb-faq.html
How the AWB applies to Magazines (eg, so called "Large Capacity Feeding Devices" under MGL):

The federal ban stipulated a ban on "Large Capacity Feeding Devices", and this is the MGL version:

“Large capacity feeding device”, (i) a fixed or detachable magazine, box, drum, feed strip or similar device capable of accepting, or that can be readily converted to accept, more than ten rounds of ammunition or more than five shotgun shells; or (ii) a large capacity ammunition feeding device as defined in the federal Public Safety and Recreational Firearms Use Protection Act, 18 U.S.C. section 921(a)(31) as appearing in such section on September 13, 1994. The term “large capacity feeding device” shall not include an attached tubular device designed to accept, and capable of operating only with,.22 caliber ammunition.

What this means in english is that within the borders of MA, you cannot legally own/possess a magazine that meets the description above (unless the magazine was made on or before 9/13/94). You're probably wondering what an attached tubular device is"- think feeding tube on a tube fed .22 LR rifle like a Marlin or some of the old Winchesters. This carve out was stuck in the law to keep the fudds from getting upset when it got passed.

It should also be noted that the MA version of this law does not include the extra definition in Federal Law (reference to be added later) that used to define a standard of evidence for what constituted a "Large Capacity Feeding Device". Therefore, the means of prosecution with regards to magazines is not laid out in state law like it used to be on the Federal side. This means that how someone would be prosecuted for violating the mag ban is anyone's guess. Federal law rather FIRMLY put the burden of proof on the part of the state, even going so far as to stipulate that an unmarked mag that was claimed to be preban was to be taken at face value. This is not the case under MGL and enforcement is very unclear.

-The Rifle/Shotgun/Pistol was an "Assault Weapon" or in the case of a magazine holding more than 10 rounds, a "Large Capacity feeding device" manufactured on or before 9/13/94. Note: In order to qualify for this exemption, the device must have existed "in AW configuration" the date the law was enacted. This caveat, of course, is rarely proveable one way or the other.

-The device in question is possessed by an MA FFL or a LEO (for use in performance of their duties)

Note: This exemption is "murky" at best. The "commonly accepted" interpretation is the dealers are AWB exempt because they supposedly are able to sell AWs and the like to Law Enforcement, and the LE exemption is doubly murky, depending on who you talk to.

-The device in question is possessed by someone in US Military service under orders, or someone employed in a Federal law enforcement job as issued duty gear- issued gear is immune due to an overriding federal law more than likely. The protections ascribed to here likely do not apply beyond the scope of whatever the job you have is or whatever gear
you are issued.

-The device in question is not an "assault weapon" as described above or a large capacity feeding device. EG, a 10 round cripple mag is obviously not covered/governed by the AWB.

New members here get treated like crap by some of you. If you don't want to answer the question then don't. Everyone was new at some point.

So what you are saying is, they never taught you what you were allowed to own with the firearms licence you were applying for,or what you were allowed to do with that licence.

Come on !

How much can any one person learn in a single 4-hour class ?

At mine I did not even get a Handout - which might have been nice.

The discussions on this Web Site are nearly endless concerning loaded, unloaded, where to store, when to lock, it goes on and on and on. WITH GOOD REASON !

The Laws are very complex, make very little sense, and even when the Law is "clear", there is a huge gray area where what you do may be perfectly legal, but is going to get you arrested anyways.

I encourage people to ask and ask again.

Your LTC is precious. Don't lose it (or worse) because you failed one time to "Cross the T" or "Dot the I".

Last edited:

you are issued.

So as a point, assuming a MA LTC-A large cap, if you have pre-ban 30 round mags, and a post ban AR, you CAN'T legally use the old mags in the new rifle?

i don't get some people on here especially if we're posting in this section its because we're looking for help, this is why we joined this site.

Oh, you should have been here back in the day....

But some self help and research is always encouraged..........

Back
Top Bottom