hi all, ? about g19

hi, i am a new ltc as of the beginning of summer. i went out and bought a sig mosquito and bought it because being a newbie i figured i should start small. then went out and got a sig p232 and love it. i bought it because i thought it was and is a good conceal gun. and of coarse i love the looks of that old school james bond 007 gun, but i feel it was not enough for stopping power at home. after that i figured to go buy a rifle so i bought a ar15 .22cal smith & wesson. also a very fun gun to own and customize, probably my favorite of them all. well today i went to fourseason and got a glock 19 compact. i am going tonight to try it out. any comments on the g19 that i should know before i fire it. thanks,

It'll take any abuse you can give it. Pre-ban mags are plentiful and it'll take full size G17 mags as well. If you find the trigger to be long, gritty, and too heavy there are plenty of fixes (some like the stock trigger feel, others hate it).

i notice that you said dont clean your glock? why is that. i noticed that the glock i bought today is kinda dirty and i figured i would clean it before going to the range tonight. am i wrong?

i notice that you said dont clean your glock? why is that. i noticed that the glock i bought today is kinda dirty and i figured i would clean it before going to the range tonight. am i wrong?

Just shoot it as long as the bore isn't obstructed, then give it a good cleaning, put a tiny dots of lube on the rails, connector top, barrel (smear it around) and the locking block in the frame. Done.

-Mike

Nothing wrong with cleaning it, you just don't need to worry about it. My glock 21 has a few thousand rounds through it without anything more than wiping the front sight and slide off.

You will love the G19, clean it, but as others have said, don't over-lube it. IIRC overlubing was the #1 reason for returns to glock for service.

Just saying. It's not recommended. If he is new to the gun world, better off starting him in the right direction. Shoot lead all you want, I have an aftermarket barrel for mine if I'm shooting lead.

Not sure where your going here?

638542E4-2ADA-4B12-9C52-20D129770A3D-11111-000011BF55E65BD7.jpg

Maybe this will help. Sure, you can, but is it worth the hassle?

http://www.glockfaq.com/content.aspx?ckey=glock_faq_reloading

http://www.glockfaq.com/content.aspx?ckey=glock_faq_reloading

Last edited:
Where I'm going is that the manufacturer does not even make mention of shooting lead projectiles in the guns they produce.

Can you let lead build up in the barrel of a gun to the point where it can cause problems such as over-pressure? Sure. But that can happen with any gun. Clean the barrel once in a while and you won't have a problem. I have shot thousands of lead SWC bullets through my Glock in competition for many years as have many others.

Maintain the firearm and there should be no problem. [thumbsup]

well went out last night to fire the glock and to my surprise... the glock19 9mm i feel had less kick or equal kick to my sigp232 .380cal. anyways i shoot better with the glock and i am still all over the place with my sig. i dont get it? i would figure, begger caliper, more kick but to me that was not true.

The P232 is blowback. The Glock 19 is a locked breech. Blowback guns typically have more felt recoil. Also the Glock 19 has a wider grip, which distributes the force across a larger surface area, and the plastic frame seems to be absorb some of the impact from recoil.

Besides, 9mm simply isn't a heavy recoiling round.

I love my 2 G19s. They are my second favorite gun to shoot (second to HK P30L), and they eat anything I throw in them. I carry a G19, wardrobe permitting.

Putting on a $10 rubber grip really helps recoil.

And Andy is correct, try to avoid lead ammo with the polygonal threaded barrel. Not a must, but recommended.

When I first starting shooting Glocks about twenty years ago I tried to shoot lead in it and it jammed constantly. That was before I knew that it wasn't suggested to shoot lead in it. I never did it again after that day.

Back
Top Bottom