• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

HF Propagation Current Conditions

quincy

NES Member
I finally decided to get back on the HF frequencies with a new FT 410D. Until I can set up a decent antenna, I've been using a long wire. Haven't been able to hear a thing from 160-10m. All I hear is K1MS/B on 6m 50.0625. Have all the other bands been dead or what? I heard a lot of CW last weekend on 20m during contest with my old SX-111 using same long wire. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.
WA1TSL.

Edit: FT-450D.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I got my General last spring but am just getting started on the HF bands, so I'm speaking from limited experience. I can say that local 'noise' can make copying traffic challenging. I am using an end-fed wire antenna (Chameleon Emcomm II) and have found that reception can be anywhere from very good to awful, usually falling somewhere in between. The digital modes seem to be much more robust if that's your thing.

Here's what I do to see how conditions are at any given time over and above just sweeping through the bands:
- Run through the WWV time signals at 5, 10, 15, 20 and I think 25 MHZ in AM mode. If the 15 Mhz broadcast is coming through pretty well, for instance, then 20 meters should be doable.
- Tune in to some of the nets that seem to be running every day. The ECARS net on 7.255 Mhz LSB and the Maritime net on 14.300 Mhz USB are good ones to monitor.
- Check out QRZ.COM for current conditions, like this:

solar.1449144005.gif

- And if you're looking for 10 meters, leave the radio on 27.385 LSB. This is an 11 meter 'freeband' frequency that's outside of the amateur bands but when it comes alive with rednecks yelling at each other it generally indicates favorable conditions on 10 meters, and maybe 6 meters as well.

I heard some CW and ssb on 20m around 11:30am today but signal strength was very low. Very high s9 noise levels on 40, 80 up to 17. Guess I'll stick to vhf/uhf until I get an HF antenna.

I had two long wires up, that were very noisy and poor Rx. Then I hooked them together on a LDG 4:1 Balum and made a random wire dipole. Works pretty good. Might be worth a try if you can put up a 2nd wire.

Think I'm going to try a loop antenna fed with 450 ohm ladder to a tuner with built in 4:1 balun. Should be able to string up about 50 ft of wire around ceiling. I'm on 6/2/70cm now with a tri-band mobile outside on my 7th floor balcony. I have about 180deg of sight from N to S. I can hit most all repeaters including 6m in Braintree to Pepperell and I think the AE1TH 6m repeater.

Back
Top Bottom