1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Hey Mr, can you buy me some alcohol

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mr.E, Sep 10, 2018.

1. sgeary

sgeary NES Member

My friend had a kid ask him to get $50 worth of beer at a store once. So my friend took the $50 inside and bought the kid $50 worth of gum and mints. Needless to say the kid wasn’t too thrilled.

xjma99 likes this.

2. 426wedge

426wedge NES Member

First thing I thought of...Ya beat me to it.

3. alan226

alan226

Used to be a bar call EJ's in Rowley on the old rte 1 back in the 70's. Bar was owned by Eddie johnston of the Bruins. We were in high school and drank there. Never got carded.

I think every kid in the 70's knew of a bar or package store where they could go for booze.....

4. alan226

alan226

Went to NU from 76-80. There was actually a bar on campus in the Ell Center near the cafeteria. As a matter of fact, the student union actually sponsored a screening of the XXX "Deep Throat" in one of the auditoriums to raise money for student activities. Sold out the show too!

Ah the good old days before political correctness....

5. swatgig

swatgig NES Member

Chained together with 999 of my associates at the
    I worked in a supermarket while I was in college. One kid I worked with asked me to buy beer for him. I told him to give me his car keys, I'd drive his car to the packie, put the beer in the trunk, drive back, and he could drive away with the beer in the trunk. I didn't want to get caught transferring the beer to him.

He told me "Nobody drives my car". I told him to have a nice weekend.

PennyPincher likes this.
  6. Golddiggie

Golddiggie NES Member

I bought my own alcohol all through college (late 80's early 90's) without issue. I never got carded until AFTER I was 21. [rofl2] I did have a beard, so maybe that helped. That and I wasn't trying to buy large packs of cheap crap.

7. PennyPincher

PennyPincher NES Member

I had someone try to pull that crap on me in MA. I was with my approximately 10 year old niece. I bought the alcohol.

8. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152 NES Member

Back in 95-96 when I was 19-20 I used to go to the Golden Banana with an older friend. He knew the bartender, so she never carded me. We always went on early week nights when they didnt have a door man. Then one time we ended up there on a Friday night, there was a door man AND a Peabody cop. I pretended I forgot my wallet, and he lobbied that we were there all the time, and would the bartender saying she knew me be acceptable? He went and got her, and then we went in and drank. I definitely spent more time in there pre 21 than after.

9. Scott7980

Scott7980 NES Member

did he keep his teeth after

10. Fixxah

Fixxah NES Member

I used to drink in bars when I was 14. Had early facial hair. Three packys sold regularly and we used to ask for a buyer at Broadway Liquors weekly.

11. weekendracer

weekendracer

I was in my small town Maine. Kid was trying to buy beer without a license/underage. Kept pleading with the guy to sell it. I was off duty in plain clothes. Finally, I said, "Look kid, he's not going to sell you alcohol with a cop standing right behind you."

12. rlee

rlee NES Member

When I was in Cambridge in the early 60s, it was rumored that Martignetti's in the North End would sell to anyone who could reach the counter.
    I have no personal knowledge of this, of course.

AHM likes this.
  13. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Feed yeast sugar and they make alcohol (plus CO2). Don't kids know this? FFS, I was making my own wine in high school and college.

Sauer Grapes and boiler_eng like this.
  14. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

Possibly. This was in the late 80's. Could of been a manager rather than the owner. Now that I think of it Im not sure how a bunch of kids would have any idea who the owner of M's was. He was pissed though, lol.

15. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

Lol

16. rep308

rep308 NES Member

What is the penalty for this now?
    When my son was in college 5-7 years ago, his friends found a chinese web site that would create damn good MA licenses with your choice of birth dates for $100. They worked like a charm until 3-4 months later the kids that ordered them were all victims of identity theft and had a bunch of credit cards opened in their names.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
    AHM and PaulR like this.
  17. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

18. PaulR

PaulR NES Member

LOL, woops.

19. RImike

RImike

Its like that time my friend would use a fake ID to purchase alcohol and then when he turned 21 used his real one and all of a sudden it became really awkward....for me as the cashier....

xjma99 likes this.
  20. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

At first I was thinking Len was YOUNGER than I thought. Turns out, he's handsomely older than I thought. LOL

That was funny. Been years since I've seen that. As good is the package store scene from Dazed & Confused. "Now eat a green thing every day." (Clerk to the pregnant young girl smoking. LOL)

Len-2A Training likes this.
  21. Gidge

Gidge

When I was a youngster (early 1980s), I knew a couple of establishments that were not too particular as to who they sold alcohol to ...

22. Mr.E

Mr.E

Some good stories.
    About 15 ish years ago (yikes stripes) a friend of mines dad owned a bar in Worceter. Well, my friend who was under 21 at the time generally worked the door (I think you just have to be 18). Needless to say that I was under 21 as well as well as other friends. The running joke used to be what kind of crap we could show him to let us into the bar. We're talking fake licenses of people grandparents, a black person for a white kid, crap like that. But I recall that one person (maybe brother) upon entering one night gave him a coupon for something (something silly like cereal) that my friend looked at, laughed at, and then said " okay, you're good"...

xjma99 likes this.
  23. Sauer Grapes

Sauer Grapes NES Member

Sampan in downtown Framingham would serve to under 21. If you ordered "cold tea" you got beer in one of those Chinese teapots.

24. enbloc

enbloc NES Life Member NES Member

I was a senior at Lowell High when the legal age was 18, and I looked well over it, being like the only guy in high school with a full beard.
    Not a ratty, scraggly thing but thick and sable-like. Everyone else was wearing Izod's and crew cuts. No problems buying beer or booze at all...

Thanks Mike Dukakis for screwing it all up. Old enough to fight...Old enough for beer!

[​IMG]

25. AHM

AHM NES Member

It's nice to have friends.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

26. Skysoldier

Skysoldier Forum Curmudgeon NES Member

Back when my oldest daughter was 17, we lived near the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque. There were a lot of bars along Central Avenue
    (old Rt. 66), and I found out from her younger sister that she had a fake ID and was hanging out in that area on Friday and Saturday nights when
    my wife and I stayed home.
    So, being the a55hole I am, I printed a bunch of copies of her Senior Picture, and took them up and down Central Avenue and told all the bar owners
    she was using fake ID!
    She didn't speak to me for a month...….which was a good thing[rofl][rofl][rofl][rofl]

kelton, drgelinas and Len-2A Training like this.