1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Hey Mr, can you buy me some alcohol

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mr.E, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Mr.E

Mr.E

you didn't miss anything. 99% of "dorm" parties are a bunch of kids away from home for the first time trying to fulfill what they think is a college right of passage involving drinking crap beer (which is likely warm because it was snuck in), playing beer pong, drama, everyone coming up with stupid ideas of where else they could go for the night....I went to maybe 2 (I transferred into a new college as a "freshman" after going to CC to get early stuff out of the way) before I realized that it was boring..I'd rather go to the library or stay at work and earn a couple more $$.

Penniepup1 likes this.

2. KOMA829

KOMA829

When i worked in Roxbury the old blanchards ( cvs now i think, albany and fellows ?? ) never asked

3. ScottS

ScottS NES Member

Sooo could have been me as a kid. Nervous, stammering, embarrassed, and then politely saying "Thank you, anyway, sir." and slinking away.

4. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

We got a buyer one new years eve......several bottles of wine and several quart bottles of beer. It was around ten at night, freeze your ass off cold outside, snow and ice everywhere.....a buddy grabs the two big paper shopping bags one in each arm and started running towards the house we were partying at and slips on the icey sidewalk.....both bags go flying and hit the walkway.......broke every single bottle in both bags.....wine and foaming beer and soggy brown paper bags in a pile.

It was too late to have our buyer go get another order and they had already left to go to their party spot so we gave him a friendly beating, and our last resort was to go raid another kid's dad's liquor cabinet for some scotch, vodka and whiskey.

We never let that friend of ours ever get near our booze bag again.

PennyPincher likes this.
  5. Horrible

Horrible NES Member

Its amazing how FFR everyone is these days about 20-year olds drinking alcohol.

6. Nhusa

Nhusa

There was a bar in East Taunton that sold beer out the back door to HS kids.
    I think they did more business out the back than front.

When we were in college in Boston with our off campus apartment we just had booze delivered.
    Never any questions asked. Sometimes we had two or three deliveries on a weekend night.

7. Mr.E

Mr.E

It's quite silly I agree. The reason ~20 year olds go crazy is because it's such a tabeu that they go hog wild to get and overboard when they do..

In Europe its much more casual. 18 in most places I've gone, hell, even vending machines in many areas. Most "drinking" is recreational such as cafes or restaurants with friends. I'm sure drinking in excess happens, but atleast they know their tolerance. Here in the states we treat it as if it's an eight ball of coke..

Horrible likes this.
  8. tuna

tuna NES Member

I joined the Army at 17, and came home on leave from Korea when I was 19. My civilian friends were all older and legal so we went into a dive bar where we wouldn't get carded. I was trying to play off being military on leave and "forgot" my ID. The bartender asked for my leave paperwork, and said that he knew I was required to have my leave slip on me. He actually said he didn't want to see my ID, but he'd kick my ass if I was lying about being in the Army. That kind of irritated me, so I showed him my leave paperwork, and he saw I was returning from overseas and I didn't buy a drink all night. He said he didn't care too much about kids trying to sneak a drink, but wouldn't let anyone pass themselves off as military. Pretty cool guy.

Uzi2 likes this.
  9. eboos

eboos

Wasn't the drinking age 18 then?

10. ScottS

ScottS NES Member

Wait. Wasn't that during Prohibition?

mwalsh9152 likes this.
  11. rep308

rep308 NES Member

Easy,

Rouse town drunk in local park
    Give town drunk money for a case of beer and a pint of rot-gut
    Drive to packy
    Put a lookout at all doors so drunk doesn't run off, learned this the hard way
    Put booze in the trunk
    Drop drunk off at park
    Party

Think of it as a 25% surcharge to buy booze while underage.

Uzi2 likes this.
  12. Scott7980

Scott7980 NES Member

I have been in some shaaaady places waiting for the uncles of friends that would go buy for you. Shaaaaadyyy

13. swatgig

swatgig NES Member

Chained together with 999 of my associates at the
    According to wikipedia, the drinking age was 21 until 1973. 18 from 73 to 79, when it was raised to 20. 20 until 1985 when it was raised to 21.

14. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

Nope, I missed out on the drinking age reduction as well as the voting age reduction. NU Class of '70

Cruel to the cripple are we? ;)

In reality NU prohibited everything back then. No visiting men in the women's dorms beyond the lobby, women dorms had curfews, no booze on campus, etc.

Thanks for the facts.

15. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

yeah, i do remember being on the asking side of that equation...back in the day. Was pretty nervous too, as i recall

16. Lokdog

Lokdog

The good ole' "Hey Buddy". Like rep308 said, we knew who the town alcoholics were & would wait for them to show up at the local packy after work. Worked every time. Was 25-30 years ago though. Had some teens a few years ago ask me to buy them some "incense" crap at a local Shell that was behind the counter but I knew better

17. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

The limitations have expired many years ago.

Six pack, at the beach, opened the trunk as the MDC cops drove by.... yea it was that long ago.

Cops stopped, found the 6 pack, took it and let us go.

We followed a good distance behind, watched the cop put the beer in his private car and took off for another round of the beach. Now understand that the private car was across from the MDC station. We pulled up, coat hangered the car and took the beer back. Balls for 17 eh?

Evadd, PennyPincher, AHM and 2 others like this.
  18. dans

dans NES Member

Back when the age limit was 18, I was still underage. We always went to this one local shop via the back entrance, picked up a six pack and went to the cash register. Never carded, never a problem. One night we do our usual routine and as I get in line, I notice a cop standing by the counter. There was nothing I could do that wouldn't draw attention to myself so I just waited for the customer ahead of me to finish. When I was up, the clerk asked me for my license and I handed it over to him. He looked at it, handed it back to me and rang up my purchase. I picked up my bag and left via the back entrance with a big WHEW!

19. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

This is so common in Boston there’s a name for it: “Hey Buddy.” But common enough everywhere.*

The kids approach someone. Usually they give him a $20 and negotiate what he is to buy. The buddy keeps the change. If they are youngsters it’s usually nips, as they are easy to conceal.

* Prep school girls in a suburb have been known to approach a young man and tell him “I forgot my ID.” Same result.

20. dingbat

dingbat

Had a kid working for me at the bike shop in Greenfield who had a side gig with the Comonwealth busting stores for selling booze and cigs to the underage. Kid was 17 but could pass for 21-22 no problem.

21. Evtide

Evtide NES Member

Kinda long, but here's the gold standard video clip for this kind of thing:

garandman likes this.
  22. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

I’m an electrician, two of our apprentices are under 21. They have really good fakes, they get them shipped from China. they’re nice kids, but I ain’t risking my ass to buy them booze. Luckily they have no problem buying it for themselves.

23. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

We used to call it a ‘hey mister!’ Used to walk to the gas station at night with a friend, hang out and ask people to buy us some Marlboro reds. Never failed.

24. AHM

AHM NES Member

Hudson, MA used the Junior Police Auxiliary.

They'd enter, order a beer, and if it was served,
    pay for it without touching it and tell the cop waiting outside.

The town had 23 licensees, and this was the result of an early-80's sting
    published in the Hudson Daily Scum:
    • 18 licensees failed to card.
    • 2 licensees were closed when they tried to troll them.
    • 2 licensees were fraternal organizations who told the (non-member) yout to GTFO.
    • The scariest biker bar in town (Manny's, east side of Rt. 85 at the foot of the hill) carded the yout and threw him out for being under-age.

25. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

When he was a Senior in High School, my brother, who was the local star Quarterback, tried to buy some Jolly Friar Apple Wine - a couple of days after the local paper put his picture in the paper. He was called out by name and told to put it back.

I used to put on a suit and tie, borrow my brother’s car and go to a local store at 11am on a weekday. Never carded.

26. Chris

Chris NES Member

Just east of Zone 9, but in Worcester County.
    150 ft of winch cable on my Ramsey RE8000 winch was more than enough to quickly hoist the kegs up to the space above the 5th floor of the dorm. Was some kind of utility conduit space that was about 4' high with strong girders top and bottom that could easily be made a 'floor' and was more than enough to support the snatch block for the winch. In the winter, the beer was cool as the space wasn't really heated, but I don't think the guys who ran the 'party' much cared. I just took my $100 for the 10 minutes of work every so often.

27. headednorth

headednorth NES Member

Had the owner of Martignettis in Chelsea threaten to hit me with a bottle of wine because we were hanging out front trying to get someone to buy for us. He was like 5 foot nothing, well dressed and there were like 6-8 of us so we just laughed it off and he went inside threatening to call the cops.

A few years later, myself and a friend went to a liquor store in Everett. I stayed in the car and my friend went inside. At the door he was approached by a couple of kids, money was exchanged and they walked around the corner and my friend went inside. A few minutes later he came out with our beers and "their" beers. He got to the car and we drove away while he explained he had told them to wait around back, lol. Sorry guys if youre reading this.[laugh]

28. SHOCKNAWE

SHOCKNAWE

I remember when I was 16/17 back in ‘87 I used to pick up this older guy “Charlie” who was mildly handicapped ( physically)and always hitchhiking home and told him if he bought for me I would pick him up every time I saw him. I kept my word and so did he, I used to go right into a local bar where he hung out and he would walk right out, hop in my car and off to the liquor store lol Nowadays there is not any reasonable excuse to buy for an underage kid, the repercussions could be life changing, I haven’t been asked since the mid 90’s and come to think of it only a few times have I’ve been asked to buy cigarettes and I gave same answer “Sorry I can’t do that”

29. 71montess

71montess

We could legally drink as seniors in high school, it was 18 then. We also had open campus and if we had a late period off we could leave campus. We had the idea of going to the local bar, then returned to school for our last class after a few drinks. Crazy days all legal.

xjma99 likes this.
  30. xjma99

xjma99 NES Member

When I was 21 and one of my younger brothers was still a senior in HS, I grew tired of buying him and his friends beer, so I said if he paid for it, he could get a copy of my license (I in college at the time and he out on co-op every other week) to save me the hassle every time I came home. He was a captain on the football team with a basically legit ID to buy, wish I was that lucky! (I was also a captain On my football team but had no fake of my own).

Unbeknownst to me, he got pulled over after leaving a beer store when they pinned him as underage. He produced my legit license, was apologized to, and sent on his merry way. Being my brother, the photo looked close enough.

Two or three days later I was on my way home from school, maybe for thanksgiving. Lifted pickup, no weight in the back, and a sweet corner that needed to be gone around sideways. Same cop pulls me over!!! I produced my identical, legit license, expecting a big ticket, and get a f***ing apology!!!!!! Said something about sorry for pulling you over the other day, and don’t be getting sideways on the black top!

namedpipes likes this.