1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Hey Mr, can you buy me some alcohol

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Mr.E, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Mr.E

Mr.E

Funny story, pretty sure this has happened to atleast one or two people on here; in the grocery store late Saturday night picking up a couple things I didn't get earlier in the day. I was randomly approached by some kid (18ish) who was nervous as hell, stumbling with his words, and was quite red faced. When he finally finished his speech I surmised that he was looking for someone to buy him and his GF (who I could see at the end of the aisle) some alcohol..
    I laughed a little and politely told him no.
    He said thanks anyways and promptly left.

Now, him and his GF were obviously students at Framingham state (I was at a grocery store not far from campus) and were roaming around trying to find some way to score some beverages for a beginning of the school year party.

I kind of laughed as I finished my shopping and was reminded of doing similar crap back in undergrad. I generally had a couple people who would buy for me (they knew me, knew I wouldn't say anything and mostly knew I wasn't going to do anything stupid) but recall it being kind of a crap shoot on "thirsty Thursday" nights trying to procure something for the evening...Ah, memories.

Any funny stories from you guys?

dingbat likes this.

2. DrBurnsides

DrBurnsides

Don't they usually get the under 21 junior officers to bait people into doing this?

Waher, Energizer, Lip and 2 others like this.
  3. Mr.E

Mr.E

That's the thing, it could easily have been a "sting".
    This kid seemed legit (nervous, young looking GF in tow) but you never know.

If it was a sting, they would have been better off having the GF ask me[smile]

Lip and xjma99 like this.
  4. allen-1

allen-1 NES Member

I borrowed my sister's car and drove into town to buy some beer. Bought the beer, went back out and her $%#@! car wouldn't start. Used the pay phone (yep - that's just how long ago this was), to call my house hoping and praying that my sister would answer the phone. No such luck, my mom answered. The conversation went something like this...

Hi mom, can I talk to Judy?
    Where are you?
    In Pikesville, can I talk to Judy please?
    How'd you get there?
    I drove Judy's car, can I talk to her please?
    What? You don't have a license!
    Yeah - I know - can I talk to Judy please?
    What are you doing in Pikesville?
    Buying beer - can I talk to Judy please?

She finally put my sister on the phone. Who ended up getting my father to drive her into town so that they could show me how to adjust the points using a matchbook cover. And then Judy drove her car home. My father kept the beer - and my mother yelled at me.

I was 15. Law in Maryland at the time was 18 for beer and wine, 21 for liquor.

I wonder if Roger's Taproom is still in business - it was the "goto" place for underage buying.

5. Scott7980

Scott7980 NES Member

I was18 and was buying at a place had a handful of beer and booze. I was walking to the door and on the other side was a cop. He held the door for me and off I went

Artie and BUMPA01603 like this.
  6. PaulR

PaulR NES Member

Yep, mostly high school though.
    I college we had a guy with a beard that looked really old, he never got carded.

Only funny story is when I was a kid, my father had a big 3 story house. In order to get the cases of beer past my father we would hoist it up outside through the window.
    Until one windy day the case of beer clunked against the side of the house and his window the floor below us.....must have been a pretty funny site him looking out the window and seeing a case of beer on a rope going by.

AHM, Cowgirlup, Brewer and 4 others like this.
  7. Mr.E

Mr.E

that's hilarious.

When in high school we had a place not far from where we lived that was operated by...let's just say shady individuals that never carded my older brother, I myself never tried it.
    I remember one time I had some friends over (they were all sleeping over, we weren't idiots) and my father came home where as he was supposed to be gone for the weekend and we had a display of beer bottles on the kitchen table as we were playing card games I think. He walked by them, went to the bathroom, walked by and said high to my friends and left....to this day I still wonder if he either didn't see them because he was too preoccupied with something or just did a quick sweep and figured it wasn't worth busting us...I should ask.

Evadd likes this.
  8. BUMPA01603

BUMPA01603 NES Member

My wife has a cousin that runs the Mass ABCC unit at the Cape and Islands. They set up stings like that all the time, and literally anywhere alcohol and tobacco are sold. I, personally, wouldn't want to take the chance of losing my LTC over it or making myself partially responsible for any minor I helped if they had an accident, OUI, etc. Makes me sort of a hypocrite though, used to do the same stuff pre-21....

9. Matt-CZ

Matt-CZ

When I was in high school, a friend of mine used to make some cash doing underage sales stings. He was a member of the high school LE explorers program (sort of like JROTC for LE) and would try to buy beer. Don't think he ever targeted customers for a straw purchase, just targeted store clerks. This wasn't in MA though.

AHM likes this.
  10. PaulR

PaulR NES Member

I would have been happy to buy for a kid when I was in my 20's, never got asked.
    Of course now, yea, way too much to lose.

11. Mr.E

Mr.E

precisely.
    Too much risk now a days. Even back when I was under 21 (14 years ago) there were still a couple places that were pretty liberal with selling. With all the crackdowns that have happened I can't imagine many still exists.
    Hell, when I was in DC a couple weeks ago I found out they have a "card everyone" policy..Every bar I was carded in (I usually get 50/50 shot at a new place) and was told they don't care how old someone looks, everyone has to get carded in that jurisdiction..

12. JayMcB

JayMcB NES Member

Not only do they card everyone, but if you have someone underaged WITH YOU they won't sell you alcohol. I went to buy liquor and my son came in with me. When, as a teen he couldn't produce an ID, I wasn't able to buy alcohol for ME

Horrible likes this.
  13. JRLB

JRLB NES Member

I’ve seen that happen a couple times here in mass.

14. Mr.E

Mr.E

That's always an interesting one.
    If you go into a liquor store with a young kid in twow (in MA atleast) the clerk won't bat an eyelash because its pretty evident that the child is yours and not someone who you are purchasing alcohol for. But what's the cutoff there? If they look like a teenager? They could still be that persons kid who just doesn't want to sit in the car. And then if the clerk refuses to sell to you can the kid just go back outside and you pretend they weren't there in the first place?

15. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

In college (NU) one of my buddies was older and would buy for us. Allegedly the package store across from NU & the YMCA would sell to anyone but I never bothered trying. I've never been much of a drinker, and hated beer (even these days typically only one beer and only if on tap), so the good hard stuff lasted a while. We all used to bring flasks to the NU football games in Brookline (my friends managed the school mascot and one of our group was a cheerleader). Campus Police never hassled us at the games.

16. PaulR

PaulR NES Member

I buy all my beer in the town of Amherst, MA, and I have a 15 year old daughter, so I should have an answer for you relatively shortly now that the students are back.

17. je25ff

je25ff

I was the elected person to do this when I was younger. I went up a guy totally thinking he'd yell for the police or something. He said, 'yeah, sure you problem, man what do you need?' I was floored lol

Brewer likes this.
  18. Len-2A Training

Len-2A Training Instructor Instructor NES Life Member NES Member

Back when I was 18 or 19, it was a very hot day and I was thirsty, so I stopped at the package store (for a soda) on the Randolph/Braintree line (it's still there). As I opened the door to the place the guy went into a rage, yelling that I couldn't step foot in his store as I was underage, yada, yada, yada. I left and even now, >50 yrs later I would rather die of thirst than ever stop at that place, never have and never will.

19. Mr.E

Mr.E

I bet certain areas are much more strict because they've seen it all. Amherst probably has students from UMass pulling all kinds of crap. Some wineo coming in with a crisp $20 or $50 buying an array of items with a couple college kids outside is probably a pretty common scene as most "packies" up there.

20. swatgig

swatgig NES Member

Chained together with 999 of my associates at the
    One day shortly after I was married, my two younger brothers (16 and 17) showed up at my door asking if I'd buy beer. Turns out my father told them to go buy him beer. When they reminded him that they were underage, he replied "If you wanted it for yourselves, you'd get it, so go get some for me".

Ordinarily I wouldn't have believed them, but since all they wanted was a six pack of Miller Lite, I knew it had to be true.

I don't think they ever told him where they got it. I don't think he cared.

Evadd and Della Street like this.
  21. dhuze

dhuze NES Member

An island surrounded by land on three sides
    I remember back a long time ago when I was probably 23ish I had a couple kids approach me and ask me to buy them some cigarettes. I told them no, but if they had asked me for beer I would have bought it for them.
    I think these days they mostly ask younger people because older people have more of a tendency to decline.

I used to have a few people to buy for me when I was underage.

22. greencobra

greencobra NES Member

a little different story, I think I may have posted on it before. high school, late 60's, there was talk of a bar in everett that didn't card if you were close to looking of age. me and my buddy heard if you sat at a booth and ordered food, the meatball sub was highly recommended, that you could sit for a while and drink unmolested. those old school neighborhood bars had no windows and maybe a round porthole type window in the door, so you basically walked in blind not even knowing the layout and seeing how crowded it was. we went in and the place was a stereotypical local hangout. some people probably were sitting there since they opened at 9 am. we hit the door, the place is packed and every eye in the place looks at us as we walk in. we sit in a booth, order meatball subs and a couple of buds. the grizzly looking townie that took the order never even batted an eye. me and the buddy can hardly contain ourselves, we're freakin' giddy. we pulled it off. the guy brings over our sandwiches and says he'll be right back with our drinks. he came back to the table with 2 of the tallest glasses of milk you ever saw while the whole place started clapping and laughing at us. now he said to finish up, food was on the house, and don't ever come back until were of age. I don't think I've been more embarrassed in my life. we had to walk the gauntlet when we left, regulars were hootin', laughing, throwing shit at us. place was called jerry's in everett center. never stepped foot in there again. probably long gone now.

Energizer, Evadd, headednorth and 7 others like this.
  23. HarryPottar

HarryPottar NES Member

England as got a lot tougher on underage drinking now a days, it’s still 18 but they tend to card. Back in the 70’s, nobody cared. We would do our homework in the pub over a lager and a packet of crisp. It was never abused because it wasn’t restricted, as long as we stayed in the family room. Pubs back then had men only rooms where men could talk freely after work with out offending the women folk.

Evadd likes this.
  24. babygorilla

babygorilla NES Member

Grandparents owned several liquor stores. No problems.
    Used to go to a local bar that the barkeep's owner was blind as a bat. He'd ask for an ID, you could give him a business card (or any appropriately sized card for that matter) and he'd say it was okay. Poured shots with a finger over the glass to feel when it was full.
    If his wife (the owner) was present then just give her a college sweatshirt and play nice to her and she never questioned you.

25. swatgig

swatgig NES Member

Chained together with 999 of my associates at the
    On my brother's 21st birthday, he handed me a copy of my license with his picture on it. He had grabbed my checkbook, birth certificate, social security card, and whatever else he could and headed to the RMV and got a duplicate license. To this day he remembers my social security number. The SSN used to be on the license, and if a cop doubted it, he'd ask what your SSN was.

On my 20th birthday, my friend bought me a beer at the bar we had been going to for a year and a half. The bartender was a little annoyed when she found out I was legal that day and not before. On more than one occasion, we'd go party at her place after the bar closed.

AHM likes this.
  26. Brewer

Brewer NES Life Member NES Member

Pulling the "hey mister" as a teen in Memphis was easy -- just find a homeless guy and treat him to his drink of choice.

Then we found a gas station that didn't care. Saw a 10-yo girl who couldn't look over the counter but stretched on her toes to drop a case on top. Middle-Eastern chap at the register asked incredulously, "How old are you, little girl?" She answered, "It's for my mom in the car." He shrugged, rang it up, and earned our business.

But agreed: too much to risk these days.

27. Dip Dungles

Dip Dungles NES Member

There was a joint in Framingham called Ed's right on 126 across from the old Geddy gas station that would sell to anyone. I used to get dropped off when I still had my learners permit to grab a bunch of 30's. Guy at the counter never blinked an eye when he rang up 5-10 30's a time. I used to make a shit load of extra cash from that.

28. Scott7980

Scott7980 NES Member

We did this in Boston one day, hung out in the ally after and drank with the guy, then went to the show. Fun times

29. Sauer Grapes

Sauer Grapes NES Member

Sounds like Julio's Liquors. The same thing happened to me there several years ago.

30. Penniepup1

Penniepup1 NES Member

I was a freshman in college at 21; started after the Army. When some of my classmates found out I was of drinking age, I was invited to all sorts of dorm parties. Monday would come around and was asked “why didn’t I show up?” Told them I was too old for dorm parties and I was at a bar. They stopped asking after awhile.