Herr Raimondo on the assault again

Two things:

(1) Gina is, as far as we know, female, and thus she's "Frau Raimondo."

(2) There's been some clarifications now that RI Federated (the overarching pro-2A group in RI) and the FFLs have been able to pick up the pieces:

*The RI waiting period only applies to people who do not have town-issued carry permits;

*The XO allows police departments up to thirty days to complete the state part of the background check. Meaning, if a check takes eight days instead of the normal seven, then the gun would get transferred on that eighth day. Or, if the check takes two days to complete, then someone without a town carry permit would be able to take the gun home in the normal seven days;

*The XO itself is somewhat ambiguous and reads like a FFL has to hold onto the guns for thirty days, no matter what, which would cause the 4473 to expire; shops are instead delivering guns once the police department finishes the state part of the background check; and

*If the 4473 expires on the thirtieth day, then the shop would just do a new 4473 and deliver the gun once the Federal background check (which is supposed to be instant) is all set.

Raimondo's order is based on her constitutional emergency powers as governor and RIGL 30-15-9(e)(8).

30-15-9

That being said, Federated is working on a response with all necessary speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm surprised she's not trying to usurp more power over firearm law but there is still time left in the state of emergency, or for her, absolute power

Attention Second Amendment Supporters,

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT MESSAGE – There is a lot of misinformation on the internet over the New Executive Order – THIS IS NOT A MANDATORY 30 DAY WAITING PERIOD! It only allows the Police departments extra time, up to 30 days, to complete the background check.

Here is the breakdown:
Prior to the Ex.Order: R.I.G.L. §11-47-35. Sale of concealable weapons: No person shall deliver a pistol or revolver to a purchaser until seven (7) days shall have elapsed … (The seven day waiting period)

After the Ex.Order: 20-07 1. I hereby suspend the statutory time period within which police authorities must conduct background checks for concealable weapons and firearms. (The seven day mandatory waiting period is gone)

Time to perform Background and firearm release:

Ex.Order: 20-07 1. A police authority conducting the background investigation … shall have up to thirty (30) days … to complete the background investigation and notify the person selling the firearm whether the applicant is disqualified … and notify the purchaser whether his or her application is approved. (allowing up to 30 days)

Ex.Order: 20-07 2. Pursuant to Rhode Island General Laws 30-15-9(e)(8), no person shall deliver a firearm to a purchaser until the person has been notified by the police authority … that the purchaser is not disqualified under Rhode Island Law. If after the lapse of thirty (30) days … no disqualifying information has been received … he or she will deliver the firearm to the purchaser.

(Meaning pursuant to RIGL, the Governor, during a disaster may temporarily “Suspend or limit the sale, dispensing, or transportation … of firearms.” She changed/amended the law to allow extra time to transfer. Once a dealer has been notified of “No Disqualification”, the transfer can be immediately completed.)

Example. “Jim” goes and purchases a firearm on day one. On day 8, the police say Jim is ok, transfer the firearm. The store may, that day, transfer the firearm to Jim. *The firearm dealer does NOT have to wait for 30 days!

Example. “Jim” goes and purchases a firearm on day one. On day 14, due to the paperwork delay, the police say Jim is ok, transfer the firearm. The store may, that day, transfer the firearm to Jim.

*The firearm dealer does NOT have to wait for 30 days!

IMPORTANT – This is by Executive Order and is valid for only 30 days. This order will expire by its own terms on April 19, 2020 unless she extends it by another written executive order. It is only a temporary order. The Governor does NOT have authority to modify RIGL permanently.

Remember please be courteous and respectful to the Firearm Store employees, they are also dealing with excessive paperwork and delays. Be safe and God Bless America.

Proudly at your service;

Frank Saccoccio

Given the news cycle being entirely dominated on the spread of the virus, it's easy to overlook what the local anti gun hacks are doing while our attention is diverted.

I just found out about this and it's a bunch of bullshit.

So, let's say once this pandemic is over that on July 4th many thousands of people in RI decide to go buy guns to celebrate Independence Day. Does that mean the local slobs at the pork factory are going to be given 30 days to complete background checks because they can't do all of them in 7 days?

If the system cannot accommodate high volumes then why is it that the system isn't being changed (or better yet done away with entirely) to better facilitate speedy BG checks? Why is it that that under normal volume that Rot Island still requires a 7 day (really 8 days from the date of filling out the paperwork because the forms don't get delivered to the local PD until the day after) wait period when the police could probably do the background checks in a day or two for repeat/previous buyers?

I normally don't have an issue with the week long delay because it builds up my excitement to go pick up my new gun, but 30 days is a load of bullshit just because RI has a rag tag system where some fat pig is sitting at a desk behind a 20 year old potato of a computer looking up my non-existent criminal record along with many other's similarly non-existent criminal records and can't do the work in 7 days because he has a few hundred more to do than usual.

This must have been the phone call from the RI police chief to Gina Raimuffo:

"OMG, GOV! STOP THE CONSTITUTION! I HAVE A WICKED LOT OF CHECKS TO DO, LIKE 400 OF EM AND NORMALLY I ONLY GET LIKE 30 AND IN 7 DAYS HALF OF THESE AREN'T GONNA GET CHECKED AND THERE'LL BE BLOOD RUNNIN' IN THE STREETS!"

I'm surprised she's not trying to usurp more power over firearm law but there is still time left in the state of emergency, or for her, absolute power
She has a fugging hard on with "assault weapons" and "high capacity magazines" like all other anti gun Dems do, but her power is only temporary and IDK if she could make an order that temporarily bans the sale of those items when there's no law on the books in RI that bans them.

The background check law is on the books but the legal wording is that after 7 days (really 8 days) the buyer can take possession of the gun(s). The XO is making it so if the police haven't finished the check in the 7 day period that the gun cannot be released until the police give the okay.

Obviously, some police departments in smaller towns will probably be less inundated with background checks than Warwick or Providence due to smaller population and those may have no additional delay past the 7 days. However, it's my belief that if given the opportunity to delay buyers as long as possible, the RI police will do it and this XO gives them the authority to wait 30 days before they give the all clear.

I'm gonna have to call my FFL and ask him how the locals are doing in regards to checks, I would believe there'll be no change and I'm sure that the small FFL's in rural areas are in the local chiefs ear telling them that they need the money from the sales/transfers and can't be waiting 30 days because bills are due.

The big guys like Midstate and D&L in Warwick/Coventry are fugged. There's no way the local police there are bothering to pay overtime to get background checks done faster.

There would have to be good reason for her to extend this order. If hundreds or thousands of more people than normal rush to buy guns next month, then it's not fair, NOR CONSTITUTIONAL that some people are going to be forced to wait 30 days to take possession of their property because the state and the local police have failed to create a system that processes background checks in a timely manner.

Also, this whole debacle with the RI background check system shows the massive issue that a lot of reps at the State House want a law that makes both the town/city where a background check is being done AND the town/city where a purchaser lives to perform background checks.

One of the cities I read having issues is Warwick. Their PD got over 400 forms in one day when the average is 28. Now imagine people who live in Warwick went out to other cities and towns and bought guns and caused that number to double and then imagine that happening to every police department in a locality where an FFL is located.

Providence, Pawtucket, and Cranston alone would account for tens of thousands of checks a week after the panic buying that started two weeks ago.

In her daily press conference today, Gina says the order is now extended to May 8th.

Won't be surprised when she extends that date either, but again, what is the reason? Have the background checks continued to be in high volume in RI or is she just doing it cuz she's an anti gun bitch?

Let us not forget that she was rated the 2nd WORST governor in the country - #49 out of 50

Hopefully she will have an opponent in the upcoming term elections

The fugly bitch pushed the date back again. Now thru June for a 30 day delay for the local pig department to tell you you can excercise your right to buy a gun.

I wouldn't be surprised if this becomes permanent
I agree and I do not see Queen Riamondo undoing the 30 day wait period until the state of emergency is lifted, which likely isn't going to happen until late Summer at the earliest.

One thing that I already know the answer to, but also know there is no valid reason for is why is the wait period up to 30 days? It seems like an arbitrary number pulled out of thin air, like wouldn't local police depts be able to complete a check in 14 days or 21 days? The reason is because the federal NICS check is valid for 30 days and upon the 31st day you have to fill out another 4473.

So the reason why it's 30 days is it's a ploy to further burden the FFL and the purchaser by having to possibly do another 4473 in the event the local pork chops didn't sign off with an all clear to the FFL before 30 days.

I've spent the last two days emailing local radio hosts and trying to call in and get on air. They're all way too focused on police enforcement of wearing masks in public, but the extension in background checks is something that is outside of the scope of the governor's power and while I could accept it back in March, there's absolutely no excuse for this unconstitutional and ideologically driven power being assumed by Raimondo. The law on the books in RI is 7 days, not 30 days and the Governor does not have the authority to alter or change that law. What she can do is make an EO that frees up funding to aid in assisting local PD's to be able to complete the RI background check in the 7 day period, but that's not restricting the 2nd Amendment, so she's not going to do that.

It's all a bunch of BS when there is already a federal background check being done in concurrence with the local background check and last I checked the overwhelming majority of states do not have a state/local background check.

I've spent the last two days emailing local radio hosts and trying to call in and get on air. They're all way too focused on police enforcement of wearing masks in public,
The reason you aren't being heard is the VAST majority of the RI public doesn't know or care anything about firearms, other than only gang members and cops have them. There just aren't that many gun owners in this pathetic state. As far as they are concerned, your wait time could be 30 years.

It's all a bunch of BS when there is already a federal background check being done in concurrence with the local background check and last I checked the overwhelming majority of states do not have a state/local background check.
Yep, it's just a straight up burden on your right to purchase a firearm. But nothing's going to change, except for the worse. (see above).

The reason you aren't being heard is the VAST majority of the RI public doesn't know or care anything about firearms, other than only gang members and cops have them. There just aren't that many gun owners in this pathetic state. As far as they are concerned, your wait time could be 30 years.
The hosts on WPRO are not anti gun people, at least not when it comes to the governor making decrees like she has been the past few weeks. I don't give a crap what the people in RI think about guns, but one thing that they would probably agree on is that you can't allow one person to start changing laws without any debate because that's dictatorship.

This whole situation is another reason why I'm getting ready to leave RI and move back up north. Just need to find a job in my field then I am out of here.

Back
Top Bottom