1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Hermaeus Hypersonic jet Boston to London in 2 Hours

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by TC McQuade, May 21, 2019.

1. TC McQuade

TC McQuade NES Member

Boeing's Hypersonic Jet Could Take You From New York City to London in 2 Hours

Fifteen years after the last flight of the Concorde, Boeing wants to bring back supersonic travel — to the extreme.

A Boeing spokesperson told Travel + Leisure that flying at Mach 5 would make it possible to reach most locations on Earth in one to three hours. For example, it could take two hours to fly between New York City and London, or three between Los Angeles and Tokyo. (Current flight times are 7 and 11 hours, respectively.)

2. jpk

jpk

Hell yes!

The longest part of that trip would be getting off the ground and far enough away from metropolitan areas so they can kick it above mach 1

3. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Nope. ¡Ocasio! won't allow it. Cuz cow farts, or something.

Brewer, Fixxah, ldi and 9 others like this.
  4. appraiser

appraiser NES Member

It will take longer to clear TSA and Customs than the flight.

Fixxah, drgelinas, Choctaw and 3 others like this.
  5. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

And once you get there, you are in a country with cameras everywhere watching to see if you tell a joke or apply butter with a butter knife (or spoon).

Uzi2 likes this.
  6. jpk

jpk

Now they are charging folks in the UK who attempt to cover up/avoid being scanned by cctv facial recognition....unless you're wearing a burqua......

Choctaw, DrBurnsides and mibro like this.
  7. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

I have spent 2.5hrs in Heathrow customs before. Monday at 8am.

It was a nightmare.

M1911 and mibro like this.
  8. Evadd

Evadd NES Member

I don't see this affecting me in any way since I'm pretty sure it'll be cost-prohibitive.

SKumar likes this.
  9. Bob P

Bob P NES Member

Commercial Supersonic travel wasn’t economically viable. It used a ton of fuel and required a (relatively) small airframe with limited passenger capability. What makes them think hypersonic will be any better? The military application makes sense but unless they find a way that is fuel efficient or let’s them haul a ton of bodies it ain’t happening for me and thee

10. Dennis in MA

Dennis in MA NES Member

I recall when the first Concorde crashed, Tony Bennet was in NY trying to get to Paris. They had footage of him at the Concorde lounge sitting around. Tony! You smiling, moronic, golden-throated d-bag - THE PLANE CRASHED. ISSSANOGO! Fly coach like the rest of us!

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  11. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

That too. I'm not spending an extra $10,000 just to save 2 hours of my time to get to a meeting that could have been done just fine on WebEx. That's something the elite would do, while preaching to us that we're all destroying the world by eating a burger.

Maybe AOC's underwater tube trains could be more efficient. LOL who am I kidding...

DrBurnsides and Bob P like this.
  12. ReluctantDecoy

ReluctantDecoy

That article is a bit outdated and the math is suspect. At mach 5 (about 3,900 MPH), how would it take 2.5 hours to go JFK-LHR which is about 3,400 miles? Even assuming sub-mach take off and landing, and only breaking the sound barrier over international waters, it would be 1.5 hours max.

That being said, this is vaporware to even discuss mach 5 when we haven't even hit a commercially viable mach 1 jet, which itself would nearly halve travel times. Scientists have finally figured out a sustainable engine cooling technique for hypersonic passenger planes, but that just happened a couple months ago. That article is nearly a year old now and was basically click-fluff content.

13. Broccoli Iglesias

It probably takes 30min to get to 95K feet, and then another 30min or more to descend going slow.

Mountain likes this.
  14. Hetzer

Hetzer NES Member

Oh no you don’t, take a train to Europe like your wife beating, sexist, racist, ancestors who locked their kids in cages did!

/AOC

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  15. Lowbird

Lowbird NES Member

With the way Boeing is handling this Max issue.
    I wouldn’t trust the training on new tech.

You’d be better off telling Musk to launch your ass in pod from an electromagnet in NYC. Parachute into London from low earth orbit.

16. Mountain

Mountain NES Member

We've been going backwards in terms of airliner speed, all in the name of cow farts and skinflints. The 707, which was released ~1958, could go over 600 mph. According to my dad, at high altitude they would occasionally push the 707's until they started to feel a little mach buffet, then back off a little for a super fast cruise. He might have been pulling my leg, but it sounded plausible. Fuel efficiency seems to trump service these days.

I frequently fly overseas for work and could be somewhere across one pond or the other on any given week. I really don't mind the flights to Japan, China, Korea etc. because I get a good sleep going both directions. Given the lay flat seats in business, I might get a better sleep than I do at home with all the crap always going on at my house.

Europe, the Middle East, and western Asia are another story. Europe is just a pain in the ass because you lose a night's sleep to get there. Western Asia (India, Thailand, etc.) takes so friggin' long it's always a pain. Something faster than 1950's technology would be a blessing.

The5thDentist likes this.
  17. ReluctantDecoy

ReluctantDecoy

Cruising altitude varies wildly between plane sizes. 25-30 minutes would be widebody/jumbo jets. Some of the smaller planes can achieve cruise altitude in 10-15 minutes. This is all weather-dependent, of course. If it takes up to 1 hour to ascend/descend, the rest of the flight would be no more than 45 minutes (for about 3k miles). I still wouldn't be far off from my original 1.5 hours.

18. Drix

Drix

Cows burp more co2 than fart. If she were really dedicated to the cause shed take up sign language as to not contribute unnecessarily to the output.

NHPatriot likes this.
  19. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Absolute non-sense! Don't we all know that few decades ago liberals worked hard to proof that the future of the global travel will be in edible boats? We can easily construct them from natural materials and when we arrive at our destination we can either eat them or compost them.
    Planes are so last century!

View: https://youtu.be/fAGNLIpi4BQ

20. rosco61

rosco61 NES Member

21. snax

snax NES Member

Indeed, we may be going backwards. 707 pretty impressive. I wonder if that speed is the fastest allowed, as you mentioned the pressure wave. Wonder if the air frame would have survived breaking the sound barrier.
    From Wikipedia:
    707: 607 mph
    727: 597 mph
    787: 594 mph
    757: 570 mph
    777: 587 mph
    A380: 587 mph

Cessna Citation X+ 608 mph.

I should have joined the military. Because at this point, if I had 10K I'd pay to be a passenger on a Warthog laying down cover for ground troops while taking machine gun fire. (I don't think they hold 2). If I had joined....maybe I could have been a pilot.

Mountain likes this.
  22. mibro

mibro NES Member

It won't be for the shadowy Manhattan moguls of the private equity partnership which owns the health care conglomerate which owns the hospital you work at.

When you really, really have to get to that Climate Change meeting in Sydney, Australia, you ask the Soros Foundation to buy you a ticket.

Last edited: May 22, 2019
  23. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

Rail gun transportation. Hey, I hadn't thought of that one yet. The windage calculations on that would be fun, and even more fun when you're off by 100 miles. Send AOC first.

The most efficient way to get around the world would involve making straight frictionless tubes from point to point through the earth. Want to get from Boston to Beijing? Make a tube between those two points, everyone get into the pod, then you just release it! It will reach maximum speed right at the earth's core, then it will start slowing down on the way back up and reach 0mph right as it pops up into Beijing. Sure, you'd need to provide it a very minor amount of thrusting ability to overcome the minor friction that will be there, otherwise you'll miss the surface by 1 mile then be oscillating back and forth in the tube forever. The fun thing about this approach is that the tube doesn't have to go through the core. It works even if the tube is a direct line from Boston to California, although it will of course be a much shallower tube going no more than a few hundred miles below the surface. Another fun detail is that transportation time will be the same no matter where you are going. Due to physics, it would take same amount of time to reach NYC as it would Beijing. But, it is pretty fast, so who cares.

Quick, someone propose this idea to AOC! Get her to run with it.

Once we implement this, the next up on this idea is energy production by harnessing the inertia of the spinning earth. Don't worry, this one is easier. You build a giant track along the equator, lock in a giant "train" into this track with a generator built into it, then tie that train to the moon. As the moon orbits, it pulls on the train and generates power. In exchange for this, the moon's orbit slows down. But, it's okay.. we'll have a million years or so before environmental whackos start whining that the moon is now too close.

Lowbird and mibro like this.
  24. Broccoli Iglesias

It all sounds great, until the guy before you farts before getting out and you don't find out until the door is locked and you are traveling.

10thSFFD likes this.
  25. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

Hypersonic passenger aircraft are a long, long, LOOONNNNGGG way from reality.

mibro likes this.
  26. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

If this will be implemented as ObamaScare was, 3 weeks after your travel you will receive a bill for aromatherapy which was not ordered when you were booking your Travel With Fart experience.

27. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

I agree. We will be on Mars by the time this will happen over here. No signs of unions on Mars!

28. enbloc

enbloc NES Life Member NES Member

I have a question that has little to do with this thread...

"How come we can fly to London in 2 hours, but can't have sound with our .GIFs...?

[​IMG]

29. 10thSFFD

10thSFFD NES Member

Read my lips, we can't be in London in 2 hours yet!
    citr.gif

Mountain and enbloc like this.
  30. Broccoli Iglesias

With the GIFs some people send me while im at work, it is probably a great thing they dont have sound.

M1911, Mountain and enbloc like this.