• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Heritage .22LR Revolvers any good?

Just stumbled across this thread again. I picked one of these at 619 myself over the winter. What a bargain! Love it. I guess i'm a skinflint.
They’re so cheap, it should be against the law not to have atleast one!! Perfect for newbies and children....and fun for adults to play with too!

Never understood why they put a safety on a sa revolver.....if they got rid of the useless safety they could sell em for $99.99 lol

It's there because the lockwork is much like the original Colt design (four clicks), which does not have a transfer bar safety like the post 1973 Rugers. This rolling hammer block safety allows you to carry a full six rounds in the cylinder with the hammer down. The rule for carry of the old design guns was "five beans in the wheel", you never wanted to rest the hammer on a live chamber, because it could set off the primer if the gun was dropped, or if something hit the back of the hammer while the gun was holstered.

It's there because the lockwork is much like the original Colt design (four clicks), which does not have a transfer bar safety like the post 1973 Rugers. This rolling hammer block safety allows you to carry a full six rounds in the cylinder with the hammer down. The rule for carry of the old design guns was "five beans in the wheel", you never wanted to rest the hammer on a live chamber, because it could set off the primer if the gun was dropped, or if something hit the back of the hammer while the gun was holstered.
So....put a transfer bar safety on it?

So....put a transfer bar safety on it?

That would require a substantial redesign of the internal lockwork and make for longer trigger travel, which would likely increase the cost and ruin the nice trigger pull. I think they did a nice job of engineering the safety the way it is.

Last edited:
That melting point requirement is BS.
Why did they pick 900 degrees, because that's the melting point of brass ???
Seriously ???
So that eliminates zinc, which melts at 787 degrees.
This is so stupid because a gun that uses zinc for a part not subject to high pressures, such as a sight base or trigger guard, is non-compliant. But it's OK to sell handguns with plastic frames.
Also, if a gun was stored loaded and subjected to such heat, the ammo would cook-off long before 900 degrees anyway.
The goal of any melting point rule is to DQ any ZAMAK "ring of fire" type guns..........

It's really funny in a sad way that they found a way to keep a single action .22 revolver out of the hands of the citizens...
How about the new ruger wrangler coming out?? I don’t ‘need’ one (I already have two 22 revolvers) but I will buy one just for shits and giggles.

You are right just checked the list. Not on there so I wont be able to get it from a FFL. I am guessing at that price point it doesn't make sense for them to submit all the models for Massachusetts testing plus what ever fees they have to pay to Mass for the testing to be be done. Whatever the testing is. I would love to see that SOP.
Oddly enough this is one part of the reason mass came up with these tests. My dad always called the these guns snap cap conversions as tbe snap cap guns where often built better than the pistols.

Never understood why they put a safety on a sa revolver.....if they got rid of the useless safety they could sell em for $99.99 lol

I can think of two reasons. One is what Zappa said: with the safety on you can safely load six rounds. The other is that with the safety on you can dry-fire it. AIUI, dry-firing a rimfire revolver can result in damage to the cylinder. The Rough Rider's manual warns against dry-firing with the safety off.

I own one -- bought it as my first gun, last fall. Seemed like a good idea to buy something simple and inexpensive when I didn't know if I'd want to keep going with shooting. Is it good? Seems to be, at least so far. The bullets go where I'm aiming. I haven't had a misfire yet, and I've put about 800 rounds through it. The single action makes me go slow in loading and firing, which is what I wanted while I'm still learning the basics. It may be cheap, but it works for me.

I love mine. Lots of fun. I've never had any problems with it. There is something about the way they mount the barrel. They all hit a little left. If you google around you'll find an article about it. Some people file the right side of the front sight a little so the POA and POI match. I didn't bother. At 25-30 ft I aim about an inch to the right and hit exactly where I want. Definitely worth it at less than 200. Academy Sports and Cabella's frequently have sales on them.

I shot mine today, ran a few different loads thru it to see if any shot better. They all shot the same, so I guess that's good, means the gun is consistent. About 2 inch groups at 15 yards. If I can figure out what's causing the fliers, be it ammo, myself, or the gun has a couple chambers that aren't right, I could tighten the groups up even more.

My advice is get the adjustable sights, they're much easier to see and shoot with.

Back
Top Bottom