Here it comes...White House to Push Gun Control

Good. Let 'em make all those in Free States feel like they're MAssachusetts subjects.

26865-match_strike.jpg

But throughout the hourlong speech, he never addressed the issue at the core of the Giffords tragedy—gun control—and what lawmakers would, or should, do to reform American firearm-access laws.

I thought rhetoric was at the core of the [STRIKE]Giffords[/STRIKE] Tuscon tragedy. I am confused. [thinking]

I think they may push for enhanced federal regulations regarding mental health background checks with firearms purchases which considering the failure of the mental health system in the nation is a fair nod at the dreaded 'reasonable restrictions' talking point; past that I don't see the Democrats being that stupid. They just lost control of the House, the National Health Care plan is still leaving a bad taste in everyones mouth, and this presidency is not reaching up to the expectations that core party members thought it would. Add to that that the last 4 years have seen a great increase in second amendment gains which are credited to both Republican and Democratic administrations.

While not letting a crises go to waste is the new SOP for most politicians I don't see them doing something thats not more than face value.

I think they may push for enhanced federal regulations regarding mental health background checks with firearms purchases which considering the failure of the mental health system in the nation is a fair nod at the dreaded 'reasonable restrictions' talking point; past that I don't see the Democrats being that stupid.

I interpreted it as an attack on FTF sales at the federal level. While I don't want any more "reasonable restrictions" period, I hope you're version is right.

"There's No Right of Revolution in a Democracy"

It is amazing to me when I think of the number of people that lack basic reading comprehension... and from a law professor nonetheless.

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient causes; and accordingly all experience hath shewn that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed. But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security.

It is amazing to me when I think of the number of people that lack basic reading comprehension... and from a law professor nonetheless.

But this is an evolved law professor who clearly understands that things are different in today's society. Why any citizen would need to overthrow an oppressive government is inconceivable...the Founding Fathers certainly wouldn't apply the right of revolution to a society with nationalized health care!

They have selective comprehension. They sift through the facts, blissfully echoing those that support their point of view while at the same time rejecting any that conflict with it (such as the Declaration of Independence - great post, BTW).

It is no coincidence that Obama would push this after the new Congress was sworn in. He's safe to push for all the things his uber lefty base wants and then can blame their failure on the evil rethuglicans in the House. It doesn't hurt when people like Dick Cheney are on your side either. Bipartisan and all that.

It is no coincidence that Obama would push this after the new Congress was sworn in. He's safe to push for all the things his uber lefty base wants and then can blame their failure on the evil rethuglicans in the House. It doesn't hurt when people like Dick Cheney are on your side either. Bipartisan and all that.

This is another possibility for a motive here. Its been a while since the republicans were to blame for everything. Thats part of what got him elected in the first place. Now he can throw whatever he wants out there and if it doesn't go his way the country can blame the republicans for blocking sensible laws to save the children. He'll look like he did everything in his power to save the day, and none of it was his fault when the day didn't get saved.

Tuesday night after the speech, Obama adviser David Plouffe said to NBC News that the president would not let the moment after the Arizona shootings pass without pushing for some change in the law, to prevent another similar incident.

Yup. Typical drivel. "Never let a good crisis go to waste" and all that bullshit. Keep your powder dry, neighbors.

Metaphorically speaking, of course. [rolleyes]

If I were Obama..I would go on Prime Time TV and issue an Executive Order with a repeal of The Brady Bill, The National Firearms Act (1934) and the Gun Control Act of 1968....and then Abolish the ATF....that would be a good start..and help lower the deficit...

First, it overlooks a critical distinction. The Minutemen were not going to war with their own government. They were going to war with British forces. Yes, of course, the American colonies were part of the British Empire. But Americans increasingly had come to see British forces as a foreign army of occupation.

AHAHHAHAH....does this moron really believe that the British weren't the government of the time?!?!?!? Doesn't matter how he interprets the minutemen "viewing" the British, that facts are they were the legitimate govt of the time. It would be just as easy to say that DC is a foreign entity that is occupying our nation with its monarchy!

we cannot see our own government as an enemy.

just keep counting backwards till you reach zero, you'll be unconscious before you know it

Last edited:

He'll be getting help from more than one RINO in the Senate, God forbid it makes it that far.

This isn't going anywhere. It's a sop to the Dem base and some political theater designed to make the Repubs look bad to ignorant independents who know nothing about the subject and don't particularly care about it. It's all about framing the debate and both sides so it. Propose something you know doesn't have a chance in Hell of passing and make the other side defend something or oppose something that may make you look better than them.

Political theater: It's as old as the Hills. The first congress probably did it.

The sky is NOT falling.

Doesn't matter, I don't need a piece of paper to tell me what I can and can't do.

+1

Carl T Bogus (is that even a real name??) can say whatever he wants about how there is no right to revolt up until the second a rifle bullet pierces his skull.

Back
Top Bottom