Here is how long it took for Mass non res permit just received

I mailed the application on November 29, 2017 priority mail. It was received by them on November 30, 2017 and they emailed me on December 1, 2017 with an interview date of December 20, 2017 which I felt was a really good turn around. As others have said the interview was very professional and they did not make you feel like you were bothering them, they were very helpful. I just received my non-restricted permit today March 9, 2018. It took a total of 98 days total and 79 days after the interview for my new permit which I did not feel was a bad turn around time for a brand new permit.

Massachusetts does not want residents to have permits let alone someone from another state.
Congrats on your victory anyway.
~Matt

So if you are planning a trip to Massachusetts better plan on visiting, then 90 days later you can actually bring a firearm. And the permit expires in 9 more months so get ready for another in person trip....yikes.

One Year: My Non-Resident Massachusetts Permit expires one year from the date it is issued. So OPs permit should expire on March X, 2019.

Visit Six Years: They changed it a coupla years ago. You only have to visit every sixth year for Non-Resident permit renewal; all intervening renewals are by mail.

Not having to interview every year is a huge plus! I am interested now.

Can you tell us more about the interview?

The interview was actually quite pleasant. I arrived early, figured I would go somewhere nearby for lunch however there was really nothing around. Next I thought there must be a cafeteria in the building I would eat there, but you cannot get more than 6 feet past the entrance until they come down to get you for your interview, so I waited in the small waiting area. Staff was very nice, called up to the office to let them know I was there. They took me about 1/2 hour early. The interview was basically asking the same questions that were on the application, and we discussed why I wanted an unrestricted permit. The person that interviewed me was friendly and we discussed a few related CCW items. The he took my photo and fingerprints. Before leaving he advised me of the Mass restrictions for magazine capacities and some of the other Mass specific regulations. Took about 30 minutes total.

You said: "we discussed why I wanted an unrestricted permit."

What answer did you provide, please be detailed and specific, because whatever you said worked.

Did Cosmos interview you? Is that creep still working there in his little office with no windows?

Since I travel to MA on a weekly basis, and through to the FREE states north of that, this is something that I would like to get the details on.

Congratulations.

Wow...how do you know that?

I think Cosmo used to do the initial email scheduling and the interviews (when the MA DCJIS took over the whole process from the MSP).

It could've have been closer to 4 or 5 years ago, I went down for my interview, and it was a different guy. So, after so many past interviews with Cosmo, I asked about him, and was told that he had died unexpectedly.

I had 1 interview with a different guy, then 2 with a really nice lady, (I am not going to go into mentioning specific names of people, online, that work there), and last year was my first non interview renewal year = so that's at least 4 years +/-.

Last edited:
Congrats, but it still sucks that you have to pay $100/yr unless you qualify for the 2-year non-resident license.

LOL what is this secret "2 year" non resident license you speak of?

AFAIK there are only three ways nonresidents get an LTC in MA:

-The standard 1 yr thing everyone is talking about in this thread
-A town business license (for MA business owners) which can be issued by a local PD out to the full 6 year, same as resident, license term.
-Someone is a dualie and owns property in MA (or at least has some kind of a domicile here or similar claim etc) and has enough indicia to claim some notion of MA residency to get a standard MA LTC.

-Mike

They go over the information that you listed in writing on your application. That's it.
I have no idea how it got to be called an "interview". Mine (resident) and everyone Ive ever talked to has only been double checking the info is correct, pic and prints. I remember rehearsing with myself before the "interview". "If he asks this, Ill says this. If he asks that, Ill say this." LOL
Was it ever really a question and answer thing, or is it that way in some towns?

LOL what is this secret "2 year" non resident license you speak of?

AFAIK there are only three ways nonresidents get an LTC in MA:

-The standard 1 yr thing everyone is talking about in this thread
-A town business license (for MA business owners) which can be issued by a local PD out to the full 6 year, same as resident, license term.
-Someone is a dualie and owns property in MA (or at least has some kind of a domicile here or similar claim etc) and has enough indicia to claim some notion of MA residency to get a standard MA LTC.

-Mike

I made it up and added it to the attached DCJIS document that has been in place for years (see #7 in document).

Applications Submitted for Employment Purposes, valid for two years: Military personnel who are stationed within the territorial boundaries of the Commonwealth or persons employed by a bank, public utility corporation, a firm engaged in the business of transferring money, or a firm licensed as a private detective agency may apply for a license which may be valid for two years. To qualify: • Military personnel must submit a photocopy of their military ID, and have written consent from their commanding officer. • Private detective agencies must be licensed in the Commonwealth under the provisions of M.G.L. c. 147, as a private detective agency, guard or patrol. A photocopy of the company’s Massachusetts license must accompany the application. • Persons employed by a bank, public utility corporation, a firm engaged in the business of transferring money, or a firm licensed in Massachusetts as a private detective agency, must have the application endorsed by his/her employer by submitting a letter from their employer on company letterhead indicating his or her current employment.

http://www.mass.gov/eopss/docs/chsb/firearms/non-resident-application-revised-05-19-15.pdf

Last edited:
You said: "we discussed why I wanted an unrestricted permit."

What answer did you provide, please be detailed and specific, because whatever you said worked.

The MA Non Res Unrestricted LTC is reviewed and granted on an individual basis, based upon the individual truthful personal answers. There is no "standard codifying statement" to magically grant approvals.

IMHO - The very last thing anyone holding any form of similar license should do, is to discuss their personal application information on a public forum.

Back
Top Bottom