Herald must read this guys!!!

[email protected],the link is were you can email the Editor I did soon as I read this! The part that set me off was this part below:

For all you survivalists and Second Amendment freaks out there - yeah, I know it’s not the gun, it’s the person. But when people can get their hands on guns with a wink and nod, then all too often the result is what happened in Blacksburg on Monday morning.

WOW now we are freaks?

BOSTON HERALD
BPD chief: Hope for the best, prepare for the worst
By Peter Gelzinis
Boston Herald Columnist

The media room at Schroeder Plaza is about 700 miles away from the Virginia Tech campus in Blacksburg, Va. But that hardly mattered.

Yesterday afternoon, Tom Menino, his police commissioner Ed Davis, the heads of the state police and the Cambridge police and the vice chancellor of UMass-Boston all wore the same expression during their press conference yesterday at Boston police headquarters:

There but for the grace of God . . .

Fact is, when you are entrusted with the care and protection of a metropolitan area that hosts more college students than just about anyplace else, Commonwealth Avenue, Harvard Square, Memorial Drive and the Back Bay might as well be around the corner from Blacksburg.

After he had assured the media scrum about a strong and renewed level of cooperation between the Boston police and various campus forces, Ed Davis stepped away from the podium to concede the obvious.

“As police,” he said, “we can only do what we can do.”

In the end, Davis said, even the most comprehensive strategies are no guarantee against a human time bomb like Cho Seung-Hui,now accused of slaughtering some 32 people, before taking himself out.

“The reality is, there’s simply too many guns out there,” Davis said, “and it’s become far too easy for people to get them into their hands.”

While it is true that what happened at Virginia Tech could have happened at BU, or Harvard, or UMass, it’s worth noting that Cho Seung-Hui had far less trouble coming by his weaponry.

In Virginia, you can buy guns at the rate of one a month if you so choose. Assault rifles are not frowned upon. Licenses are barely a formality. And you can begin amassing your personal arsenal at the age of 12.

For all you survivalists and Second Amendment freaks out there - yeah, I know it’s not the gun, it’s the person. But when people can get their hands on guns with a wink and nod, then all too often the result is what happened in Blacksburg on Monday morning.

After the various police agencies concluded their working lunch at headquarters yesterday, Ed Davis spoke about encouraging a “prevention” mindset on college campuses, one that included identifying peculiar behavior and watching for an unusual fascination with guns and violence.

Yet with all the talk of coordinated planning, the sharing of information, the streamlining of radio communications, Davis said that all the police ultimately could do in the face of someone intent on mass murder is to “hope for the best and prepare for the worst.”

It is cold comfort perhaps, but it’s honest.

“Everyone searches for answers for something as incomprehensible as this,” said Tom Nolan, a former Boston police lieutenant who is now an adjunct professor of criminology at Boston University. “The problem is we look through the prism of normal functioning members of society. And that view is about as far away from this behavior as you can get.”

Yesterday, one retired law enforcement source, enraged by the video clips of Virginia Tech police taking shelter behind trees and cars in advance of the SWAT teams, wondered why the campus cops weren’t charging into Norris Hall.

“I agree you can’t necessarily prevent something like this,” the verteran cop said, “but goddammit, you don’t have to wait for the guys with the helmets and the smoke bombs dangling off their belts. You just go in there and try to stop the killing.”

That is the kind of gut-wrenching discussion Ed Davis’ colleagues in Blacksburg must wrestle with. Fortunately, he knew he was separated by 700 miles . . . and the grace of God.

Actually, all THIS 2nd Amendment freak wants is the unhindered right to protect himself from these anti-Constitution nanny state freaks.

In Virginia, you can buy guns at the rate of one a month if you so choose.

I love they way people are talking about that as if it's not a restriction, but a generous gift to gun owners.

In Massachusetts, any law-abiding citizen who forks over $100 for an FID card can buy 1,000 rifles and shotguns a month if they so choose.

The same pretty much holds true for handgun purchases for Boston residents with the time and money required to grovel for permission to do so. Of course, this means that poor people in Roxbury and Dorchester are literally being denied the same right to bear arms for their personal protection as their richer, whiter counterparts living in the Back Bay.

Take away the right to vote from that same demographic. Think there'd be more than just a little outrage coming from the minority community.

Of course, bigotry is OK, as long as it promotes the liberal agenda.

“The reality is, there’s simply too many guns out there,” Davis said, “and it’s become far too easy for people to get them into their hands.” [/QUOTE]

Just a week ago his own men-on-the-street told him, with the Globe reporting, that there aren't really more guns out there - just more targetted shootings. That's going after the criminals - not the guns. A [I][B]HARD [/B][/I]job, that he and Menino don't want to do.

"The reaility is, there's simply too many guns out there," [B][I]Davis should have said[/I][/B], "[U]and it's become [/U][U]far [U][/U]too difficult for honest people to legally get them into their hands[/U]."

Last edited:
sorry... couldnt finnish the article with out getting pissed off... he's an assmunch that would scream bloody murder if somwone attacked the first amendment.

[email protected],the link is were you can email the Editor I did soon as I read this! The part that set me off was this part below:

WOW now we are freaks?

BOSTON HERALD
BPD chief: Hope for the best, prepare for the worst
By Peter Gelzinis
Boston Herald Columnist

The media room at Schroeder Plaza is about 700 miles away from the Virginia Tech campus in Blacksburg, Va. But that hardly mattered.

Yesterday afternoon, Tom Menino, his police commissioner Ed Davis, the heads of the state police and the Cambridge police and the vice chancellor of UMass-Boston all wore the same expression during their press conference yesterday at Boston police headquarters:

There but for the grace of God . . .

Fact is, when you are entrusted with the care and protection of a metropolitan area that hosts more college students than just about anyplace else, Commonwealth Avenue, Harvard Square, Memorial Drive and the Back Bay might as well be around the corner from Blacksburg.

After he had assured the media scrum about a strong and renewed level of cooperation between the Boston police and various campus forces, Ed Davis stepped away from the podium to concede the obvious.

“As police,” he said, “we can only do what we can do.”

In the end, Davis said, even the most comprehensive strategies are no guarantee against a human time bomb like Cho Seung-Hui,now accused of slaughtering some 32 people, before taking himself out.

“The reality is, there’s simply too many guns out there,” Davis said, “and it’s become far too easy for people to get them into their hands.”

While it is true that what happened at Virginia Tech could have happened at BU, or Harvard, or UMass, it’s worth noting that Cho Seung-Hui had far less trouble coming by his weaponry.

In Virginia, you can buy guns at the rate of one a month if you so choose. Assault rifles are not frowned upon. Licenses are barely a formality. And you can begin amassing your personal arsenal at the age of 12.

After the various police agencies concluded their working lunch at headquarters yesterday, Ed Davis spoke about encouraging a “prevention” mindset on college campuses, one that included identifying peculiar behavior and watching for an unusual fascination with guns and violence.

Yet with all the talk of coordinated planning, the sharing of information, the streamlining of radio communications, Davis said that all the police ultimately could do in the face of someone intent on mass murder is to “hope for the best and prepare for the worst.”

It is cold comfort perhaps, but it’s honest.

“Everyone searches for answers for something as incomprehensible as this,” said Tom Nolan, a former Boston police lieutenant who is now an adjunct professor of criminology at Boston University. “The problem is we look through the prism of normal functioning members of society. And that view is about as far away from this behavior as you can get.”

Yesterday, one retired law enforcement source, enraged by the video clips of Virginia Tech police taking shelter behind trees and cars in advance of the SWAT teams, wondered why the campus cops weren’t charging into Norris Hall.

“I agree you can’t necessarily prevent something like this,” the verteran cop said, “but goddammit, you don’t have to wait for the guys with the helmets and the smoke bombs dangling off their belts. You just go in there and try to stop the killing.”

That is the kind of gut-wrenching discussion Ed Davis’ colleagues in Blacksburg must wrestle with. Fortunately, he knew he was separated by 700 miles . . . and the grace of God.

The highlighted paragraphs above were my sentiments EXACTLY while watching the reruns of these footages.

Aggressive action must be taken if one REALLY wants to stop a perpetrator or mitigate any situation. Standing idly by waiting for the chips to fall where they may is NOT how results are obtained. Courage, fortitude, coordination and aggressive action are the key to stopping or at a minimum minimizing a situation like this. None of these were exhibited by any footage released so far. It appeared to be a case of too little too late and the results are proof.

I can't even read this stuff, it makes me so sick.

Some the anti-gun people that I know think that this is it: the end of private gun ownership in the US. They are really going to go for it......

Here is the letter I just sent to the Editor.

Dear Editor,

I find myself compelled to write you on being a licensed gun owner who is NOT in opposition of stricter gun laws but in favor of them. But, please let me elaborate on the subject. I find myself in shock and horror personally knowing that there were so many killed in the incident at Virginia Tech.
No matter what the facts were in this case, it is plain and simple a tragedy that perhaps could have been avoided, but I do not know how and I don’t think anyone can say for sure that a man bent on doing another grievous bodily harm can be avoided except by the people directly involved.
I ask that you do try to enact gun laws that target the offenders of such crimes and not the guns themselves.
It is just plain ignorance of guns that I feel a lot of people get frightened when you simply mention the word guns and tell them you collect them. The first thing is they ask you why do you collect guns! I tell them I like to…..do I need to elaborate? I like the mechanical aspect of things, maybe it’s from being a mechanic for the past 20+ years, I don’t know.
I am a licensed gun owner and a Federally licensed gun collector. How many Federally licensed coin collectors and stamp collectors do you know? I had to have an extensive background check to become one and did not mind doing so.
Any gun in the hands of the wrong person is dangerous as well as any person who drives drunk etcetera, the common factor here is the PERSON.
Maybe by actually enacting strict gun laws that target criminals and not guns may be the way to go here. I help out at a gun shop and MA has some of the most strict gun regulations in the country. I am told that these laws are to keep guns out of the wrong hands. Do they work? Short and simple answer….NO.
Why do you ask? Well, lets say I am a criminal and want to purchase a gun, I see my neighborhood bad guy and ask him what’s for sale, he opens his trunk and shows me the newest and greatest guns that just came in. I hand him money and he hands me a gun……simple isn’t it, no background check and I’m good to go! Where does my neighborhood bad guy get these nice guns? NOT from a gun shop I can tell you! NOT from a licensed gun owner….well maybe? They usually get them from house break ins from folks who have them in closets not locked up and the thief is able to walk away with them.
Here’s where the law SHOULD come in, when the bad guy opens his trunk and offers up one of these fine guns to his potential client, the guy SHOULD say no way dude! If I get caught with that I’ll do 10 years automatically. Maybe then some gun crime will be deterred.
I ask you and the legislators to enact laws NOT against guns but against PEOPLE who commit crimes with guns.
I know that you may ask yourself how can these types of crimes stop or slow down, past experience has told me that you cannot stop a person hell bent on killing another person without the use of some sort of violence.
Remember in the good ole days when cruisers actually had a shotgun rack inside the car readily available to the officer? Maybe if the first responders actually entered the building? Who knows?
I am not finding fault with our officers all of them brave and ready and willing to protect us, I applaud them and will give them the respect they deserve.

Crimes of passion have been with us since before the Bible was written and all manners of tools were used to inflict harm during those times as well as presently.
It is truly unfortunate that this had to happen I am saddened by it as much if not more than the next person having known it was done with a gun.
I did not know that person but I can not find fault with the gun here but with the person behind it.
Any person can snap and create terror and mayhem with or without guns. I realize what you are trying to do by trying to enact gun laws. But who do these laws affect? Law abiding citizens, that’s who…not the criminals who buy guns out of the trunks of cars, they do not care about any laws.
If I commit a crime with my gun I fully expect to be prosecuted for that crime, I am at fault, I am to be blamed. PERIOD.
This is why I think that our lawmakers and media do the best at thinking what actually took place and why.
I think that I am with the majority of folks that DO want strict laws to be enacted against criminals, NOT against law abiding citizens.
Do not outlaw guns, outlaw criminals. Prosecute them to the fullest allowed by law and then maybe that may be a deterrent against any gun crimes that may happen in the future.
I do agree that in the case of the recent shooting this is not the fact, but please think about what has happened here, It was the oldest crime of man, a crime of passion. It is not the normal case that you will see in your daily life and hopefully never again I pray. With all the statements lately about gun control in other countries and the ability of those laws to deter gun crime I did a quick Google search and found that it is NOT the case, I suggest people do the same as I did and research it.
I ask as a resident of Massachusetts and a gun collector that you NOT outlaw guns themselves and I am all for strict gun laws against criminals. I grieve and am saddened for all the pain that the families of everyone involved have to go through and pray for each and every one.

Sincerely,

Marc T Nunes

Some the anti-gun people that I know think that this is it: the end of private gun ownership in the US.

If that's what they think, they're deluding themselves, according to current news analysis of the issue. Even as lefty an organization as CNN doesn't see much changing (here: http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/04/17/schneider.gun.control/index.html). Virtually all other analyses that I've read are saying essentially the same thing - gun control, along with Social Security, has become the third rail of politics. And other discussions here have pointed to on-line polls - admittedly self-selected and therefore very unscientific - that show no support for increasingly onerous restrictions on guns. That's not to say that the more rabid RKBA-haters won't try, because they almost certainly will, as they always do, use someone else's personal tragedy to advance their own agenda. But this time it looks, thankfully, like they will fail.

If that's what they think, they're deluding themselves, according to current news analysis of the issue. Even as lefty an organization as CNN doesn't see much changing (here: http://www.cnn.com/2007/POLITICS/04/17/schneider.gun.control/index.html). Virtually all other analyses that I've read are saying essentially the same thing - gun control, along with Social Security, has become the third rail of politics. And other discussions here have pointed to on-line polls - admittedly self-selected and therefore very unscientific - that show no support for increasingly onerous restrictions on guns. That's not to say that the more rabid RKBA-haters won't try, because they almost certainly will, as they always do, use someone else's personal tragedy to advance their own agenda. But this time it looks, thankfully, like they will fail.

+1

I am starting to hope that people's eyes are starting to open.

This isn't a slap at anybody personally but anybody that goes by online polls needs to step back and take a deep breath. " Hit this poll " is beginning to be my worst phrase I see online.

If CNN said that without a poll of some sort, then there is hope!

Joe R

What we need to carry about is the fine anti-gun state we live in,Contact the Gov. office www.goal.org has his # let him know how you feel about the one gun a month bill.

Or we will be in trouble if we are more worried about CNN seems to think then what is going to happen in our own state.

Why not ask a simple question? How do laws, existing and proposed, which by definition only influence the law abiding, prevent criminals, who by definition are not law abiding, from using firearms? I will support any politician who can answer this question with accurate facts to back up his statement.

I can't find the exact quote or the link right now, but one Pro-CCW group had a public statement to the effect that the president of VT and others had been working so hard to keep VT a "gun-free zone", and now they know wexactly what one looks like. John Lott had an opinion piece a week or two ago in which he pointed out that (1) the number of spree shootings have plummeted in states with shall-issue laws, and (2) almost all such shootings are now confined to "gun-free" areas.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom