Her name was Dora but she ain't no explorer. Worlds biggest gun.

I thought the biggest gun was the one built onto the side of a hill. Don't recall if it was actually used but I think it was intended to shoot France.

bigger isn't necessarily better... US tech:

The Atomic Cannon - YouTube

They got even smaller shortly after
800px-M55_8_inch_Self-Propelled_Howitzer_3.JPG

W33 capable.

The Dora used a "Schiesskurve" (shooting curve) in the tracks specifically laid for for it for aiming.
The short biggie shown at 1:38 and 2:22 appears to be a Moerser (mortar) Karl.
BTW, they were German guns rather than Nazis. Haven't heard of any of these having been a
member of the NSDAP.

Pretty cool. The Germans had thing for railway guns - they used them a lot during WW1. Somewhere in my house I've got some pieces of a WW1 railway gun that got passed down from my great-uncle, who was an Army Engineer during WW1 and was involved in taking the things apart at the end of the war.

The Dora used a "Schiesskurve" (shooting curve) in the tracks specifically laid for for it for aiming.
The short biggie shown at 1:38 and 2:22 appears to be a Moerser (mortar) Karl.
BTW, they were German guns rather than Nazis. Haven't heard of any of these having been a
member of the NSDAP.

+1.
And this because I had the chance of reading this:
The Arms of Krupp: The Rise and Fall of the Industrial Dynasty That Armed Germany at War: William Manchester: 9780316529402: Amazon.com: Books

Great book! My mother gave me this to read probably 30 years ago and I still remember it.

The used book store in Burlington had a couple of copies on the shelves when I was in there last weekend.

Took me a while to finish it, but it was worth every minute. I got mine as a gift from a friend.

I think that and its sister gun the Gustav were used to shell Sevastapol or something like that...........Impractical is probably to kind of a word, i remember watching a documentary and the historian was saying an entire anti aircraft battery were assigned to these guns, not to mention the hundreds of men..........He basically said these guns helped the Soviets on the Eastern Front.

- - - Updated - - -

Gustav gun.JPG

One of the shells from gustav

There was even a Self Propelled Design

P1500macedon.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom