Henry rifles

I went to trade some guns in last night for a lever action. I asked for a Henry or marlin and was basically laughed at told to buy something double the price and then left to stand there until I left. Does anyone have either of these and do they have any problems with them feeding ammo and jamming.

I have a marlin 1895 in 45-70. I have only put 40 rounds through it so far, but it hasn't had any issues. In general I have heard lots of good things about Henry and a fair amount of bad about marlin. I really don't like the idea of freedom group, but I have a couple semi-auto marlins that are great. And I'm very happy with the 1895 so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sounds like you need to start shopping at gun stores with fewer douche bags running them. Marlin is an American legend. Henry is good too.

Tombstone Trading in Brookfield is a Henry dealer & usually has several in stock.
They will probably have a table at the Sturbridge gun show this weekend.

The Henry rifles seem to enjoy a good reputation.

Jack

How much did they offer you for your trade ins.
What manufacture did the recommend over marlin or Henry.
I won't say a marlin or Henry are not nice but my the older ones are definitely a bit more refined and pretty

I have a tube fed Henry in .22 that my son shoots the crap out of. 22 long, shorts, it feeds them all. We have at LEAST 2,000 rounds through it, with never a jam or feed problem. My son likes a clean rifle, so it may get more attention than average.

As stated above, it sounds like your LGS is staffed with a$$h0les

I have a Henry .22 with the octagonal barrel and I love the thing. The action is smooth as butter. I also grew up shooting lever guns--killed my first deer with a pre-64 Winchester 94 carbine. My grandfather and half the people I ever hunted with use pre-buyout Marlin lever guns. The quality on the Marlins went way down hill after Remington bought them out due to aging and quirky infrastructure in the Marlin production lines, but Remington really invested in some QC for the Marlin lines and the quality has gone back up. Some say back to pre-buyout levels.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Marlin or a Henry, and I actually have my eye on one of those new Henry single shot shotguns. Wouldn't mind a Marlin in .45-70 either.

How much did they offer you for your trade ins.
What manufacture did the recommend over marlin or Henry.
I won't say a marlin or Henry are not nice but my the older ones are definitely a bit more refined and pretty
They didn't even look at or seem even the least bit interested in what was in the bag for trade, they were showing an Uberti.

I have a Henry .22 with the octagonal barrel and I love the thing. The action is smooth as butter. I also grew up shooting lever guns--killed my first deer with a pre-64 Winchester 94 carbine. My grandfather and half the people I ever hunted with use pre-buyout Marlin lever guns. The quality on the Marlins went way down hill after Remington bought them out due to aging and quirky infrastructure in the Marlin production lines, but Remington really invested in some QC for the Marlin lines and the quality has gone back up. Some say back to pre-buyout levels.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy a Marlin or a Henry, and I actually have my eye on one of those new Henry single shot shotguns. Wouldn't mind a Marlin in .45-70 either.

What year Marlins would you recommend to stay away from?

I went to trade some guns in last night for a lever action. I asked for a Henry or marlin and was basically laughed at told to buy something double the price and then left to stand there until I left. Does anyone have either of these and do they have any problems with them feeding ammo and jamming.

What shop was it?
Marlins are great. They had some issues when they first sold out but they appear to be fixed up.
Henry's are great too. I know a few guys that have bought them recently and love them.
Time for a new gun shop.
Shooting supply in westport has Marlins in stock. 45/70 a couple 44 mags and a 22. He had some 357 Henry's too. Go there.

i own the henry big boy in 357 and the "evil roy" 22lr special addition. both are solid guns and i have had zero issues.

bought mine about a month ago. 357 carbine. only about 100 rounds thru it so far but i absolutely love it. out of the box hit gong @ 100yds every time with 357

tried a few .38, not as accurate. the looks and feel of this gun are stunning imho

I have a Henry 001 in .22 and a 006 Big Big in 357. Both great guns. Top build quality, and very reliable.

I had my eye on a Uberti, but couldn't justify the price difference after hearing all the reviews on Henry's reliability. You will find that Henry's have arguably the smoothest action out of all the comparable Lever guns. You can go wrong with a Marlin either, as a previous poster mention, an American Classic.

I have a 30 year old Marlin 30-30 that has never jammed or failed once. As for Henry, my understanding is that they are exceptionally high quality, and my brother loves his Henry in .45 Colt. Accurate as hell.

I've got a Marlin 336. The only issues I've had were problems getting my fat thumb through the loading gate enough to seat the 30-30 round. Not a problem with the gun, more operator deformity.
I've never heard a problem with Henrys (Henries?), and I've been lusting after their new single shots.

Time to go back to that store, ask to see the Uberti and throw it on the roof, leave an upper decker and bang the shopkeeper's wife.

I've owned the Henry goldenboy 22, big boy 357, and big boy 44 and they've all been flawless. Very well made and accurate. I've since sold the 22 and 357 to fund other purchases....

What year Marlins would you recommend to stay away from?

I can't really say definitively. Any Marlin with a JM barrel stamp is pre-buyout and should be okay. The new ones have a REM stamp. If it's not factory new and doesn't have a JM stamp then tread with caution I guess. The buyout was back in 2008, and from what I understand the QC problems started shortly after.

From what I've been able to find, Marlins made in 2007 have serial numbers that start with "93," 2008 start with "92," 2009 with "91," and so on down the line. Not sure if that helps any.

Personally, if I were going to buy one I would get a factory new, or a used with a JM stamp.

I can't really say definitively. Any Marlin with a JM barrel stamp is pre-buyout and should be okay. The new ones have a REM stamp. If it's not factory new and doesn't have a JM stamp then tread with caution I guess. The buyout was back in 2008, and from what I understand the QC problems started shortly after.

From what I've been able to find, Marlins made in 2007 have serial numbers that start with "93," 2008 start with "92," 2009 with "91," and so on down the line. Not sure if that helps any.

Personally, if I were going to buy one I would get a factory new, or a used with a JM stamp.

This... and I have an early 80's 39A .22 and it's awesome.

So basically they told you they wouldn't look at your guns or sell you anything that isn't expensive?
I'd tell them to F**k Off! And never go back, but thats me.

Oh, I have 2 Henry's and I'm looking for a Henry .44 Magnum next.
Interested in a Henry .44 Mag as well, maybe with a matching Ruger or S&W wheel gun.

I have an Uberti 1861 New Army, excellent. I have a Maril 1894 45-70, bought 2 years ago. Functionality 100%, fit and finish 80%.

I do like the side load vs tube load of a henry. Henry is better fit and finish than Marlin.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I have a Marlin from the mid 80's in 44mag. I bought it for deer hunting in NH and went once. Doesn't have a of of rounds thru it but it works, is short for the brush and packs a punch. I hadn't realized they held their value so well.

In 45-70 it must kick like a mule.[smile]

I wish Henry had some nicer looking wood than the few I've seen but I never hear anything bad about them.

Back
Top Bottom