Henry rifles

I just picked up a Big Boy in 357. Took it to the range Saturday with the awesome weather, and what a fun gun to shoot. The barrel gets real warm real quick, and it was picky with .38 (I could only seem to load 8 comfortably) 357 ran awesome and very accurate (I was at 100 yards on 8" steel no problems) Had a hard time setting the thing down, didn't want to put a ding or scratch on it. Gorgeous gun.

I just received my small game .22 yesterday.

Its very nicely finished. The wood to metal fit is not as good as some of the larger and more expensive Henry rifles I've seen. But its very very nicely finished for a $350 rifle.

More to follow.

North Shore Firearms, LLC
251 South Main St.
Middleton, Ma. 01949

they have some Henry rifles

Yeah f*** that shop. If you're in the Middleton/Peabody area, you should just go to Northeast Arms and have them order one for you if not in stock.

I have multiple Henry's and shoot the snot out of them. 22 Small Game and a 357 Big Boy get the most attention. Probably going to add a 357 Big Boy carbine since the full length gets a little heavy after shooting it a while.

Very accurate, great action, and tons of fun to shoot.

Find a shop that is more deserving of your business.

I have multiple Henry's and shoot the snot out of them. 22 Small Game and a 357 Big Boy get the most attention. Probably going to add a 357 Big Boy carbine since the full length gets a little heavy after shooting it a while.

Very accurate, great action, and tons of fun to shoot.

Find a shop that is more deserving of your business.

Yeah the Big Boy's are a ton of fun. My 44 mag reloads have quite the muzzle flash - makes a good flamethrower...

The buck horn sites on the Henry big boy suck, they can't hold a zero. Replace them with a set of Skinner sights and you will be good to go, it is one fine rifle. Some people don't like the Henry tube fed system and prefer the Marlin gate loading system but that is a matter of personal choice.

The buck horn sites on the Henry big boy suck, they can't hold a zero. Replace them with a set of Skinner sights and you will be good to go, it is one fine rifle. Some people don't like the Henry tube fed system and prefer the Marlin gate loading system but that is a matter of personal choice.

Yup. Skinner sights work great on the Henry. Throwing on a scope is fun too.

My $650 Henry Big Boy 357 is as buttery and reliable as moms apple pie. The same cannot be said for the $1000+ MIJ Winchester 73 which has ramping issues with some ammo and a crunchy action that I keep praying will eventually break in. Does your dealer not sell Marlin or Henry? Or have an overstock of "something else"?

Yup. Skinner sights work great on the Henry. Throwing on a scope is fun too.
I think the loading gate was designed by a guy named King while employed by Winchester, not Marlin, if I'm not mistaken.
I put Skinner peep sights on all of my lever guns except my Henry. I kind of like the buckhorn.
Edit: replied to wrong post..

Hadn't really thought about getting one but when I walked into my LGS the owner asked me if I wanted to look at an All Weather .30-30 that he had. As soon as I checked it out I told him ok I'll take it.

Henry%20All%20Weather1%203030_1.jpg

Hadn't really thought about getting one but when I walked into my LGS the owner asked me if I wanted to look at an All Weather .30-30 that he had. As soon as I checked it out I told him ok I'll take it.

Henry%20All%20Weather1%203030_1.jpg

yup!! the old "puppy" salesman's trick. put in their hands and they can't say no. learned that one in the early days of sales.

especially easy if you're selling a good product. (and a henry certainly qualifies as a good product)

very nice. congrats!!!!

Last edited:
Well it took a couple of weeks, but I sold the guns I was going to trade in for the Henry. now it's time to shop.

take your time, don't buy the first one you see. (unless it's really one you were looking for)

i ordered the henry catalog on line, and although it took a few weeks to receive, it REALLY helped me narrow down my choice

edit: now i want the .44mag after shooting the .357[rofl]

Last edited:
I have a Marlin 336C in 35 Rem, had it for about 30 yrs. No issues, nice fit and finish. Have got a few coyotes with it, one on the run. Never regretted getting it.

take your time, don't buy the first one you see. (unless it's really one you were looking for)

i ordered the henry catalog on line, and although it took a few weeks to receive, it REALLY helped me narrow down my choice

edit: now i want the .44mag after shooting the .357[rofl]

Do it! I enjoyed the 44 over 357. The muzzle blast is insane with my reloads.

Yeah the Big Boy's are a ton of fun. My 44 mag reloads have quite the muzzle flash - makes a good flamethrower...

This reminds me. I made some .44 mag loads out of slow burning rifle powder once just for fun. I swear more powder was burning outside the muzzle than in the barrel. Lots of fun.

By the way, I took my Henry Small game rifle out for the first real session this week. It shot great and at 50 ft offhand was as accurate as anything, really. Since most of the inaccuracy comes from me.

I also tried some CCI .22 quiet and out of the 20 inch barrel it was hearing safe. In fact, its quieter than CCI mini mags are out of my 10/22 with a suppressor on it.

Don

Last edited:
Picked up a Henry .22 classic today. Can't wait to take this to the range and zero it in and have some fun. First lever gun and always wanted one.

The heck with them. Have a Marlin Guide gun in 45-70. Shoots great. I wouldn't buy anything from that store. Try gunbroker.com. Plenty of Henry Rifles for sale.

Thinking of grabbing a Big Boy steel in 357.

This is will only lead to a GP100 also.

I have one of them and I love it. I truly enjoy shooting it more then any other rifle I own. I don't know why but it gives me the "fizz" whenever I have it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah. Henry rifles are great. Purchased the Big Boy carbine in .44 last summer. Very satisfied with it thus far. If there's any gripe, they don't come sling ready. It took a little bit before I could find a decent one that didn't require drilling into the stock. Finally settled on the Brassstacker which turned out great for me.

Henrysling.jpg

Back
Top Bottom