• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Henry Axe .410

Zappa

Road Warrior
NES Member
This may be slightly more useful than a Mares Leg, because it's a .410 shotgun, but I don't see much real use for it other than as a range toy:

This may be slightly more useful than a Mares Leg, because it's a .410 shotgun, but I don't see much real use for it other than as a range toy:

I think even Henry admits it's a range toy.

Interesting seems like it could be good for home defense especially if they had made it for 3" and a wide open choke in the 410.
I have the full size Henry 410 lever action....the one with changeable chokes and the bead sight. I like hunting small game with it. I do wish it had a 3 inch chamber though. Henry designed it off the 45/70 frame......making it a 3 inch would require a totally new frame.....so they stuck with 2 1/2 inch only.

They make this also in a "carbine" with iron sights and fixed cylinder bore.

Can you get a brace thingy for the stock? That would make it more useful.

I could see it as a way to handgun hunt deer if you kept the range to 25 feet or so. (****I never see deer when hunting, so this would appeal to me so I’d be “hunting” but not encumbered with a long gun).

I really like these short lever guns though. I don’t know why.

I could see it as a way to handgun hunt deer if you kept the range to 25 feet or so. (****I never see deer when hunting, so this would appeal to me so I’d be “hunting” but not encumbered with a long gun).

I'm not sure I'd use it for deer, I was thinking it be pretty good for home defense with the right shot.

My son bought a Henry 357 mag steel carbine on his 18th birthday. Sweet shooting carbine and very short and handy rifle.

My son bought a Henry 357 mag steel carbine on his 18th birthday. Sweet shooting carbine and very short and handy rifle.

How’s the recoil on that. I never fired one but a friend said the recoil is bad. I don’t believe him, but at planning o getting one for my 11 year old, slightly built daughter to use as a deer rifle next year (this year?). I love that when we looked at guns to get her, starting with an AR, the one she wanted was a lever carbine, she’s got the same taste as me.

My post about the Axe for deer is almost a joke. When I deer hunt, I still-hunt, badly. I may as well have a slingshot than a gun. I figure the axe would be good enough at dinner table range, anything further would need more stalking. Sitting still does not appeal to me, despite being a more successful way to hunt.

I don’t like deer, I just hunt them to get outside. We’ll see if daughter likes it, if not we enjoy chasing squirrels and birds.

I was hoping for shotgun axe, and now I'm disappointed. Way to get my hopes up!

il_570xN.1482473653_moky.jpg

I'm not sure I'd use it for deer, I was thinking it be pretty good for home defense with the right shot.

This gun would probably be among the worst current-production guns for home defense possible. Watch the video I linked to in the second post. Then add on top of that this is a lever action and a .410.

How’s the recoil on that. I never fired one but a friend said the recoil is bad. I don’t believe him, but at planning o getting one for my 11 year old, slightly built daughter to use as a deer rifle next year (this year?). I love that when we looked at guns to get her, starting with an AR, the one she wanted was a lever carbine, she’s got the same taste as me.

My post about the Axe for deer is almost a joke. When I deer hunt, I still-hunt, badly. I may as well have a slingshot than a gun. I figure the axe would be good enough at dinner table range, anything further would need more stalking. Sitting still does not appeal to me, despite being a more successful way to hunt.

I don’t like deer, I just hunt them to get outside. We’ll see if daughter likes it, if not we enjoy chasing squirrels and birds.
With 38 special the recoil is less than a 22lr....the gun doesn't even move.

With 357 mag the recoil is still next to nothing.

This gun would probably be among the worst current-production guns for home defense possible. Watch the video I linked to in the second post. Then add on top of that this is a lever action and a .410.
Actually we have a difference of opinion. A 410 will still put a nice hole in you with not too much to worry about it going in to the next few rooms. The lever action itself is fast enough to reload and loud enough to make someone worry.

Actually we have a difference of opinion. A 410 will still put a nice hole in you with not too much to worry about it going in to the next few rooms. The lever action itself is fast enough to reload and loud enough to make someone worry.

I'm not stating an opinion, I'm stating facts backed up with proof. Watch the video I posted. The "loud" theory is nonsense. Paul Harrell has a video where he discusses home defense guns and he made the point where if someone's in your house, they've already decided to come in and do you harm. A "loud" gun isn't going to stop them from doing that.

Considering Paul Harrell's killed at least one or two people in lawful self-defense, I take his word very seriously. Nowhere does he say "buy a .410 mare's leg for home defense."

I'm not stating an opinion, I'm stating facts backed up with proof. Watch the video I posted. The "loud" theory is nonsense. Paul Harrell has a video where he discusses home defense guns and he made the point where if someone's in your house, they've already decided to come in and do you harm. A "loud" gun isn't going to stop them from doing that.

Considering Paul Harrell's killed at least one or two people in lawful self-defense, I take his word very seriously. Nowhere does he say "buy a .410 mare's leg for home defense."

Paul Harrell did kill one man in self defense in 2006. At a campground in Washington state. A drunk man drove by their campsite to let his buddy use the bathroom......drunk man asked the harrell family if they would like to join them at the local bar. Harrells said no thanks. Drunk man takes offense to their decision and drove his truck straight at their campfire and toward the harrell's pickup truck....which his wife was standing behind. Paul Harrell grabbed his rifle and ventilated drunk man before he had the chance to harm his wife. Grand jury decided it was a clear case of self defense and charges were dropped.

Last edited:

It's a fact under these circumstances but things change in a house that's dark and the range is less than twenty feet in the middle of the night. I don't own a shotgun now and this wouldn't be my choice setup but I know if it's all I had it will get the job done. That's my opinion as well as others, but if you have a specific point I'll hear you.

It's a fact under these circumstances but things change in a house that's dark and the range is less than twenty feet in the middle of the night. I don't own a shotgun now and this wouldn't be my choice setup but I know if it's all I had it will get the job done. That's my opinion as well as others, but if you have a specific point I'll hear you.

My point is that a .410 mare's leg may not "get the job done." You can induce a malfunction in a lever action if you don't know how to use it. You're going to need training and practice to load and shoot quickly. A gun like a mare's leg is a handicap. A handicap that can be easily averted by buying a real, serious home-defense gun.

I've given you the tools to learn from. You're actively ignoring them. Your choice.

My point is that a .410 mare's leg may not "get the job done." You can induce a malfunction in a lever action if you don't know how to use it. You're going to need training and practice to load and shoot quickly. A gun like a mare's leg is a handicap. A handicap that can be easily averted by buying a real, serious home-defense gun.

I've given you the tools to learn from. You're actively ignoring them. Your choice.

But why is that any less different from short stroking a pump? It's essentially the same malfunction.

Personally, I would want a 12ga as opposed to a .410 when it comes to home defense, but different strokes.

But why is that any less different from short stroking a pump? It's essentially the same malfunction.

Personally, I would want a 12ga as opposed to a .410 when it comes to home defense, but different strokes.

It isn't. Both also have issues with tube mags if you don't push the cartridge in the tube all the way. Then the gun's hosed. I'm not saying the pump shotgun is the ultimate home defense weapon. I'm saying a .410 mare's leg is a very poor choice.

I was thinking it be pretty good for home defense with the right shot.
.410's make a decent snake gun if you are in that environment
seriously, i'd go this way if i was looking for a small .410...

1582633404729.png

for home defense, i don't want to be pumping, shucking and levering anything that takes away from the task at hand.

and if i were going into snake country for a woods walk i don't think i'd carry a novelty lever gun to dispatch the critters but that smith governor would be on my belt. now, that serious stuff aside, i long ago stopped thinking up excuses to buy guns. i'd just buy this thing and blast away cause it looks like it could be fun. i don't own any henrys but i know this little lever gun is quality due to their reputation.

It isn't. Both also have issues with tube mags if you don't push the cartridge in the tube all the way. Then the gun's hosed. I'm not saying the pump shotgun is the ultimate home defense weapon. I'm saying a .410 mare's leg is a very poor choice.

If you want to go down the rabbit hole with tube mags, then you'll have to include most autoloaders as well. This is really not that huge of an issue though, since proper training takes care of what not to do (ie: short stroking the pump or lever, pushing the ammo all the way into the tube, etc.).

As I said, I would rather have a 12ga pre-loaded with #4 buck, one in the chamber, and the safety off, but that's me. What's a poor choice for you isn't necessarily a poor choice for someone else.

If you want to go down the rabbit hole with tube mags, then you'll have to include most autoloaders as well. This is really not that huge of an issue though, since proper training takes care of what not to do (ie: short stroking the pump or lever, pushing the ammo all the way into the tube, etc.).

As I said, I would rather have a 12ga pre-loaded with #4 buck, one in the chamber, and the safety off, but that's me. What's a poor choice for you isn't necessarily a poor choice for someone else.

I agree with everything you said except the last sentence. Seriously, watch the video I posted in the second post. On the clock and when counting hits, these pistol-grip only shotguns suck. The amount of time and money spent on training with one is going to be greater to become proficient than if you just buy a gun with a stock. This isn't subjective to one person versus another, like giving a left-handed person an AK and them loving it. Pistol-grip only shotguns objectively suck as defensive tools.

I would say that slamming a shotgun slide back and forward is a bit more of a simple motion than running a lever on a non-shoulder-fired Winny action. Even off the shoulder, racking a shotgun is pushing your hands together, then apart. Running a lever is an angular motion that might not be conducive to good follow-ups in a high-stress situation.

Honestly - for home defense, why don't they build a 16" .410 shotgun with a conventional stock? Or one with an M4 stock??? If you REALLY wanted to maximize the effectiveness. Walking around my house bowlegged with this thing butt-to-gut like Tony Montana and his AR doesn't seem like a way I'd want to clear my house. LOL

I’m not watching a half hour video. What is the bottom line problem with PG shotguns? Is it the recoil? If that’s the main thing, I think with .410 you’re safe.

Not recommending this for defense, just trying to clarify the point that you keep making with the video.

I still want this.

I’m not watching a half hour video. What is the bottom line problem with PG shotguns? Is it the recoil? If that’s the main thing, I think with .410 you’re safe.

Not recommending this for defense, just trying to clarify the point that you keep making with the video.

I still want this.

The bottom line is there's no stock to aim with or to shoulder, so its easy to miss with because you're shooting from the hip or holding the gun up around your head in an unnatural shooting stance. And a .410 has a much smaller shot dispersion pattern than a 12 or 20 gauge. So its a gun that requires precision to make hits with but is incapable of being precise unless you spend large amounts of time getting proficient with one.

If you want one, cool, its just not going to be very good as a defensive tool.

The bottom line is there's no stock to aim with or to shoulder, so its easy to miss with because you're shooting from the hip or holding the gun up around your head in an unnatural shooting stance. And a .410 has a much smaller shot dispersion pattern than a 12 or 20 gauge. So its a gun that requires precision to make hits with but is incapable of being precise unless you spend large amounts of time getting proficient with one.

If you want one, cool, its just not going to be very good as a defensive tool.
Keep in mind I said for home defense and like any other weapon practice practice practice. At less than twenty-five feet there's probably not much difference in shot dispersion only that a 12 or 20 will have more shot but still the 410 has ample power to put a hole in you at close range. Let me say this if anyone is thinking much longer ranges like outdoors they better be thinking of a good lawyer in this state. For myself even though I think the 410 is ample I'd be looking at a 12 or 20 but everyone has there on ideas and I respect them.

Keep in mind I said for home defense and like any other weapon practice practice practice. At less than twenty-five feet there's probably not much difference in shot dispersion only that a 12 or 20 will have more shot but still the 410 has ample power to put a hole in you at close range. Let me say this if anyone is thinking much longer ranges like outdoors they better be thinking of a good lawyer in this state. For myself even though I think the 410 is ample I'd be looking at a 12 or 20 but everyone has there on ideas and I respect them.
At 25 feet there is a big difference! I know that for a fact. At 25 feet a 12 gauge will decimate a squirrel or rabbit even with a ic choke. With a 410 a 25 foot shot on small game is fine maybe 8-15 pellets on target.

A 410 is a small game hunting tool.....not a self defense tool. I use a 410 for small game and it's a challenge.......have to be very close to get enough pellets on target to even kill a squirrel. Slugs......different story from a 410 they are on par with 44 magnum energy. But .....if your gonna go 410 slug...... Just get a 44mag handgun imo

At 25 feet there is a big difference! I know that for a fact. At 25 feet a 12 gauge will decimate a squirrel or rabbit even with a ic choke. With a 410 a 25 foot shot on small game is fine maybe 8-15 pellets on target.

A 410 is a small game hunting tool.....not a self defense tool. I use a 410 for small game and it's a challenge.......have to be very close to get enough pellets on target to even kill a squirrel. Slugs......different story from a 410 they are on par with 44 magnum energy. But .....if your gonna go 410 slug...... Just get a 44mag handgun imo
I wouldn't be using pellets that's for sure and a .44 mag you may find a bullet in the next house over in some kids chest.

Back
Top Bottom