Henry .22 Survival rifle: Review

I have actually fired one of those.
Flimsy POS, works sometimes, with some ammo, jams lots of times.
Small parts are easily lost, stock is as fragile as china.
Sights are flimsy and about impossible to adjust or keep adjusted.

A Ruger .22 auto pistol is smaller, more accurate, and much more reliable.

Jack

The henry needs to go through about 500 rounds and it likes quality ammo.

the stock is ABX and that's what makes this certain rifle. It's under 2lbs. you would not want to hit with the butt that's for sure.

There are no little parts to lose.
1. the stock
2. reciever.
3. barrel. That's it.

The Ruger pistol is great, but this is a rifle.

but if you don't like, don't get.

For $200 it's a good little break down rifle for your pack. IMO
Joe

I have owned the Henry but like this one better.

Mine shot 22 Hornet and the 410 Gauge shot shell and its stainless steel to boot.

http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/v-shrake/m6.html
182317-M61.jpg

Glostamon. We teach out of Waltham ma and Walden Vermont. we have a few courses coming up in June if you are interested”

The 22 hornet or the M6 scout what ever you want to call is a nice item. Double shot over under. And it is made SOLID But $$$$$$$

I have both rifles and like the Henry better that the Scout. Scout is only single shot. As a matter of fact I have a Henry in my BOB. And yes you have to break it in before it works all the time.

I think that is a cool way to pack some extra 550 cord. Kinda looks gay but who cares if you need it.

Wouldn't a T/C Encore be a pretty spectacular survival rifle and a heck of a lot more durable/versatile?

I mean you can go from 12 gauge shotgun for birds, to .22 for small game, to 30-30 for deer, to .45-70 for large game in about 5 minutes...

Roadblock - the point of the Henry Survival is to add an under 2lbs small game rifle to a pack that is there for survival emergency use. By making it very small break-down, ultra-light weight and using small, light weight ammunition, it can be a standard part of a survival kit.

As the sayings go, a .22 in the pack is better than a .30 cal in the truck.

Roadblock - the point of the Henry Survival is to add an under 2lbs small game rifle to a pack that is there for survival emergency use. By making it very small break-down, ultra-light weight and using small, light weight ammunition, it can be a standard part of a survival kit.

As the sayings go, a .22 in the pack is better than a .30 cal in the truck.

Sorry, I meant to say "Pistol"; the 15" pistol format is very packable and available in any round you can think of. But I guess its also a few pounds heavier.

I have the Henry. Was a present for my (then) 9yo son. Not a huge fan. Much prefer the Rossi single shot I got my daughter at the same age. Breakdown is just as small and alot more durable. Only slightly heavier and comes with a 20ga barrel in additon to the .22/.410 combo

IMO the concept of a survival piece is your in trouble. The over under’s are nice but the single shot is the problem. The Henry is a semi, you miss you keep on shooting. that’s what you want in survival.

I have a Charter Arms Ar7 which is the previous incarnation of the Henry. It's a great concept but it jams all the time. I just recently bought a Marlin Papoose and would recommend it over the Henry any day. It never jams, is much more accurate and packs into a floatable case.

The henry is picky on ammo until it is broken in. I had ZERO jams or feed issues using cci mini mags. After about 500 or so rounds of shooting FMJ mini Mags mine now feeds fine using absolute garbage like Remington lead nose bulk packs with no jams. It might actually be the most fun out of all the guns I have owned or shot

question about the Henry .22 survival rifle. When its all broken down. if you have it in a pack, or in a large coat pocket, ect. is that considered concealed carry?

I have a Charter Arms Ar7 which is the previous incarnation of the Henry. It's a great concept but it jams all the time. I just recently bought a Marlin Papoose and would recommend it over the Henry any day. It never jams, is much more accurate and packs into a floatable case.

+1 on the Marlin!

question about the Henry .22 survival rifle. When its all broken down. if you have it in a pack, or in a large coat pocket, ect. is that considered concealed carry?

I'm not sure about MA law on this, but in NH it's only illegal if you are concealing a loaded firearm. Since it's unloaded, in NH you'd be fine.

MA has very different laws and restrictions. I suspect that you would need a LTC B. You might be ok with an FID, but I wouldn't be certain.

Also, if you do have one in your pack and you sleep, it needs to be securely locked in MA, so you might need a locking case - even if you have an LTC.

I have the charter AR7.Fun gun would work for small game in closer ranges (sights suck, maybe I could put a small QD scope on it hmm....)

They use to make aftermarket hi-caps for this gun and I have some! 2 25 rd mags live with mine ready to go. Lightweight, durable, and fires when a round is in the chamber.

In a survival situation, when hunting small game, the need for semi auto is rare. It'll be shoot, miss, wait, (reload or clear jam) than shoot again, hopefully hit, then eat. You'll have time.

Back
Top Bottom