• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Henry .22 Survival rifle: Review

In a survival situation, when hunting small game, the need for semi auto is rare. It'll be shoot, miss, wait, (reload or clear jam) than shoot again, hopefully hit, then eat. You'll have time.

the reliability factor is still pretty disconcerting. i think a similar design in bolt action would have been a much better choice.

also, fwiw...my 22/45 replaced my ar7 in the car.

I wasn't endorsing it. I'd rather have a reliable single shot.

Didn't think you were bro...just adding to the conversation.

I think a break-action single shot would work pretty well too. Plus it would be smaller than any other long arm both assembled and broken down.

I've got one... haven't had a single malfunction with CCI stingers. It's reasonably accurate. I paid $100 for it... whats not to like?

To me, a small 22 rimfire is the perfect survival gun. Not a handgun, although that can certainly do it, but IMO "survival" has a lot to do with remaining undetected out there. Handguns just produce more noise/blast with their shorter barrels, making things a lot louder than they need be.
The small rifle, with CBs or subsonic ammo, is the next best thing to a good air rifle. It'll pot edibles all day long for you, and do it very quietly. Take your pick of which one. I would choose a Crickett or a Chipmunk, you can carry is all day long easily without trouble, and they are plenty accurate out to 50-60 yards to put small game up. Rabbits, squirrels, partridge, frogs, even fish in the right circumstances. In a so called SHTF situation, I don't doubt that a subsonic in the eye of a deer would drop it in its tracks.

squirrel5.jpg

The Charter Arms AR7 was notoriously unreliable. My new Henry AR7 has been great and I can shoot mag after mag with no issues. If it were an issue of weight to pack out I would take it with me along with the SU16.

Back
Top Bottom