Henry .22 lever action vs. Winchester 9422

gerrycaruso

NES Member
I have a Winchester 9422 and my son just bought a Henry lever action .22. I was curious to see how they compared so I brought them both to the range today. I shot 10 shot groups at 25 yards with several loads. I shot with both the original sights and with a scope mounted. The accuracy was about equal. Both rifles are grooved for scope mounting though I don't think a scope looks right on a traditional lever action rifle. Both also have very smooth actions and walnut stocks. The Winchester is about a grand for a used one in nice condition and the Henry can be had new for a little over $300.00. The Winchester has been working flawlessly for decades but the Henry is new so I can't comment on it's durability. From what I've seen, the Henry is a lot of gun for the money and I'd probably buy one if I didn't already have the Winchester.

I had a Henry 22 with a Skinner peep sight, and it was great. The action is really smooth, and trigger pull was just right, unlike most other lever
22's out of the box in my experience. The sights make a big difference to me, I can't really get the best out of buckhorn sights, but using the aperture
rear sight makes a big difference. It would be nice if they had fancier wood stocks, but otherwise I could not find anything to complain about the Henry 22s.

Yes a Henry lever action 22 is way more quality than the $300 price tag.

I have a 9422 High Grade with the Coon & Hound receiver. I bought it about twenty five years ago as a small game gun but it's just way too pretty to shoot. It gets oiled once a year and otherwise it just stays in the safe. I do shoot my Henry .22 pump rifle. It shoots OK but it's an early Henry back when the fit and finish weren't anywhere near what they are these days. Henry has come a long way.

Back
Top Bottom